Would you buy a caravan with a unusable alko wheel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Don't buy.
As pointed out it can be removed, or if its proving difficult the entire receiver can be unbolted and removed.

I use a Full stop clamp that can use the tapped hole or not, more convenient than the Alko I used for 6 years, and still receives an insurance discount, or meets the conditions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
xtrailman said:
Don't buy.
As pointed out it can be removed, or if its proving difficult the entire receiver can be unbolted and removed.

I use a Full stop clamp that can use the tapped hole or not, more convenient than the Alko I used for 6 years, and still receives an insurance discount, or meets the conditions.

I use Alko at home but a lighter Milenco when away. What type of Fullstop are you using, and is it easy to fit with the caravan already positioned on a touring pitch? Cheers

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
xtrailman said:
Don't buy.

I use Alko at home but a lighter Milenco when away. What type of Fullstop are you using, and is it easy to fit with the caravan already positioned on a touring pitch? Cheers

Its this one. Yes its easy to fit once you have used it a couple of times.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123004036209?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=54713458289&rlsatarget=pla-413074763248&abcId=1133936&adtype=pla&merchantid=118935514&poi=&googleloc=9046277&device=c&campaignid=1057753394&crdt=0

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
You can still pick up a 'Bulldog Max' albeit used, but they are excellent locks, been using mine for years, on several different wheels.
Can find 'em on 'Fleabay'

s-l1600.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
You can still pick up a 'Bulldog Max' albeit used, but they are excellent locks, been using mine for years, on several different wheels.

s-l1600.jpg

Not much point if they cannot access the receiver due to a bolt in it. I am wondering if the bolt has been cut off at some point. I have no idea how any one could get a "nut" into the receiver hole unless it is a bolt and one can see the end of the bolt.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Its more likely the alko stud shown previously that alko fit to prevent after market wheel locks from using their receiver, something not fitted for years now.

The full stop I mentioned has the option of using the alko receiver or placing around the wheel same as a normal clamp.

Buckman said:
Gabsgrandad said:

s-l1600.jpg

Not much point if they cannot access the receiver due to a bolt in it. I am wondering if the bolt has been cut off at some point. I have no idea how any one could get a "nut" into the receiver hole unless it is a bolt and one can see the end of the bolt.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
Gabsgrandad said:

s-l1600.jpg

Once the legal case had been settled Alko stopped putting a screw into the receiver and Bulldog were allowed to continue to sell those clamps that had been made. But Bulldog removed all support data from their website too.

But it is interesting that Xtrailman has a Full stop clamp that can use the Alko receiver as well as being able to work without using the receiver. Presumably Alko have decided not to pursue that one as it can work independent of the receiver. Although their patent may have expired.

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. I missed many due to not receiving an alert!

After lots of excellent advice Ive been in contact with the dealer several times. The outcome today is that:

A) The Caravan is CRIS registered and I now have an email of the reg document
B) ALKO wheel lock The technician is going to swap this out

In my opinion so far so good (at last)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s a good outcome. Sounds as if an earlier poster was right. Sales didn’t want the hassle but service didn’t see it as a problem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts