Would you help a 'drunk' into his car?

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Following on from (earlier in the forum) :- “You’ll Never Forget Me
Watch this video, -http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H1daxgkN11Y#t=89s
Which side would you be on?

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
No shadow of a doubt. You cannot help him, not just morally, but legally you would be aiding and abetting, surely. Get him a taxi.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Sorry the link isn't live!

Copy & paste!

Apparently only 8 out of 50 refused to help him??

See the article Here
I've redone the link, the original didn't work.
It would be criminal to even think about helping someone so apparently 'drunk' to drive their car, I'd do everything that I could to stop somebody in that state from even opening their car door.
smiley-surprised.gif

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there. I have not seen the video but,If I came across someone that was clearly not in a fit state to drive a car,ride a motorcycle or even for that matter ride a cycle then I would (and in the past have) call for a Traffic Officer.
It is a moral issue in the first instance as a bystander just to let it go and do absolutely nothing.
Indirect Aiding & Abetting is the foremost crime,and that is against unknown persons. The individual concerned could go around the block and involve the person or persons that have just chosen to be "onlookers".
A person that is clearly the driver of a motor vehicle or the rider of a motor cycle is immediately potentially guilty of a crime by simply being in possession of the keys.

NB. I have now watched the video,Thank You Parksy. That was a rather bit of convincing acting.
It isn't only DRINK DRIVING that KILLS, it is potentially the IDIOT that helps/assist the drunk to get behind the wheel in the first place or indded anyone that stands by and just watchers.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Just as worrying these days is the rising number of drivers under the influence of drugs.
We've all seen the police video footage on tv where a group of young men are stopped in their car by the police, searched and various herbal substances are found on them and in the car.
The police appear to do nothing apart from confiscating these substances and issuing a caution, but surely driving when under the influence of drugs is as dangerous as drink driving.
smiley-frown.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " but surely driving when under the influence of drugs is as dangerous as drink driving"

I totally agree, but also know that many people sre driving "under the influence of drugs" on a daily basis when they should not be, and not illegal drugs but those prescribed by their Doctors.

How many people actually READ the conta-Indications on their medication , which in a lot of cases includes the warning "May cause drowsiness,do not operate machinery", and a car is a machine !

I would guess that the majority of mainly older drivers are just as guilty of driving under the influence, with their heart pills, blood pressure pills, prostate pills etc etc etc

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good point Damian, I take four prescription drugs (calcium channel blocker, beta blocker and a.c.e. inhibitor plus aspirin) every morning and a statin last thing at night.
I'm fully aware of exactly what I am prescribed and their potential effect on me when used with other drugs, alcohol etc.
After a heart attack the patient is not allowed to drive for at least a month afterwards, and this allows doctors to assess the patient to check the reaction to the prescribed drugs.
Beta blockers in particular can take some getting used to but after a while the side effects are minimal.

Prescription drugs are not illegal although they should be used as prescribed and with care.
Taking or ingesting Cannabis, Cocaine, Heroin etc is as far as I know still illegal, and doses are not measured or regulated in any way.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
15% of road deaths were atributed to drink drivers on the government site...that means 85% was not atributed to drink driving and frankly
i want action for the 100% not just 15%. its amazing really that by highlighting Only drink drivers as targets of something socially unexceptable we draw attention away from the other and main group of merely crap drivers who are crap without the aid of drink!!!!!!!!!!!
the police have started a campaign for people to shop drink drivers!!!!!!!!! er easy why not take preventive action which is something they actively apply to other walks of life, get police cars to sit near public houses who's car parks are full and test everyone who leaves and drives out,its easier than having the police wait till someone is shopped and send a responce vehicle to deal with merely one crime when
they can park up and catch several in one swoop,or at the very least deter drinkers once and for all from driving to the pub,and then maybe they can target the other 85% with atleast the same venom they have done for this minorty group..........

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " but surely driving when under the influence of drugs is as dangerous as drink driving"

I totally agree, but also know that many people sre driving "under the influence of drugs" on a daily basis when they should not be, and not illegal drugs but those prescribed by their Doctors.

How many people actually READ the conta-Indications on their medication , which in a lot of cases includes the warning "May cause drowsiness,do not operate machinery", and a car is a machine !

I would guess that the majority of mainly older drivers are just as guilty of driving under the influence, with their heart pills, blood pressure pills, prostate pills etc etc etc
The medical profession are under ethical obligation to warn their patients WHERE NECESSARY about the effects of medication or indeed the effects of a condition itself - and my limited experience is that they do give the appropriate warnings.
Most contra-indications use the term "may cause" - as they have to, but in most contra-indications are not certain, just possible so it's unneccessary for people not to operate machinery because drowsiness MAY occur - as long as they stop if it DOES occur.
But equally, that applies to any driver who becomes drowsy even if they haven't taken any alcohol, prescription medication or over-the-counter preparations - of any age or medical condition.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who helps a drunk get into their car is as bad as the drunk. The problem with charging drivers with being unfit to drive becaus of drugs is far more difficult and expensive to prove which means that unless the driver is visibly unfit it is unlikely to result in a charge although things are changing.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
JonnyG said:
15% of road deaths were atributed to drink drivers on the government site...that means 85% was not atributed to drink driving and frankly
i want action for the 100% not just 15%. its amazing really that by highlighting Only drink drivers as targets of something socially unexceptable we draw attention away from the other and main group of merely crap drivers who are crap without the aid of drink!!!!!!!!!!!
the police have started a campaign for people to shop drink drivers!!!!!!!!! er easy why not take preventive action which is something they actively apply to other walks of life, get police cars to sit near public houses who's car parks are full and test everyone who leaves and drives out,its easier than having the police wait till someone is shopped and send a responce vehicle to deal with merely one crime when
they can park up and catch several in one swoop,or at the very least deter drinkers once and for all from driving to the pub,and then maybe they can target the other 85% with atleast the same venom they have done for this minorty group..........

Good idea, but that is known as harrasment and is illegal. Police could be sued big time by owner of establishment for loss of trade. I often go into pubs and drink nothing except Coca cola and would be seriously annoyed at being stopped on my way to my vehicle just because I had visited a pub. That has happened to me once and when I left a pub and was pulled over about 1/2 mile down the road. I asked why I was stopped and it was because I had left the pub and coudl haveb been drinking which I found to be quite offensive.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Good idea, but that is known as harrasment and is illegal. Police could be sued big time by owner of establishment for loss of trade. I often go into pubs and drink nothing except Coca cola and would be seriously annoyed at being stopped on my way to my vehicle just because I had visited a pub. That has happened to me once and when I left a pub and was pulled over about 1/2 mile down the road. I asked why I was stopped and it was because I had left the pub and coudl haveb been drinking which I found to be quite offensive.
this is more common than one would think, more so than at times gone past, you had to commit a moving traffic volation in order to be stopped, but now the police only need to suspect you are commiting an offence, comming out of a pub would qualify.
this has happened to me a couple of times, although neither of us drink alcohol we do use some pubs restaurant facilities, personally I have been teetotal over 20years but the police don't know that? do I mind "NO" not in the slightest as it shows they are taking a proactive stance and trying to get drunk drivers off the road,

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Strangely enough, on the same subject, I received an email from a close friend two days ago which contained a very cautionary tale. He mailed
"Hi Everyone
With the holiday season upon us I would like to share a personal experience with you about drinking and driving. Setting off for home last night after a "social session" out with friends, during which I'd had five or six beers followed by a couple of large glasses of a rather nice red wine, I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit. That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a cab home. Sure enough on the way home, as they warned on Look North, there was a police operation going on carrying out breathalyser tests on drivers, but since it was a cab they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident. This was a real surprise as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it.
Cheers

34 years ago my wife and my 2 children were walking home after going to the shop to get some bread and a drink driver drove up the path and hit my son who at the time was 4 years old my daughter was in a push chair as she was only 18 months old. My son recieved severe injuries to his leg but my wife and daughter escaped unharmed. There were several witnesses to the incident and the driver was arressted and breathalised and found to be over the drink drive limit. The police refused to tell me who he was or give any information about him and it wasn't unfortunately in the local papers when he went to court.
I think in hind sight it may have been for my benefit that they didn't.

I feel that a zero limit on alcohol in the blood or the body should be put into place with driving, and is in fact wat over due. If caught and found to be guilty then the driving licence should be with drawn from them and never given back. Name and shame aswell.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't agree with a zero alcohol limit as certain medications might then show up. Neither do I agree with those who call for a lowering of the existing limit as it would still need enforcing. With the increase in drink related traffic deaths and the increasing numbers who drink and drive what is required is rigorous enforcement of the present limit. By default that would also drive down real levels of alcohol in drivers as the deterrent effect takes place. We have too many laws only enforced by voluntary compliance ( or not) viz mobile phones, drink driving, seat belts etc.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
otherclive said:
I don't agree with a zero alcohol limit as certain medications might then show up. Neither do I agree with those who call for a lowering of the existing limit as it would still need enforcing. With the increase in drink related traffic deaths and the increasing numbers who drink and drive what is required is rigorous enforcement of the present limit. By default that would also drive down real levels of alcohol in drivers as the deterrent effect takes place. We have too many laws only enforced by voluntary compliance ( or not) viz mobile phones, drink driving, seat belts etc.

The big question of course si whether the number of accidents has increased or decreased? For example in 2010 we may have had 1000 accidents and in 2011 we had 1100 accidents, but have we had an increased as the number of cars using the roads could have increased significantly and the percentage of accidents per cars on the road is lower in 2011 than 2010. I guess everything depends on how the figures are manipulated.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
We responded to an RTC just before Xmas at about 02.30
On arrival at the scene, it was noticed that a 12 month old car had tried to negotiate a left hand bend in a built up area (30 mph) & gone straight on, mounted the curb & hit a tree.
The front end of the car was totalled & the young female driver stank of alcohol.
The roof had to be removed to gain access to release her legs (which were badly injured).
I would imagine that her insurance would refuse to pay out & that she will have to continue with the payments for the car which is some where in a scrap yard

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, i reported a guy from 3 doors away for drink driving,I was washing the car last summer and he pulled up outside my drive,parked in the middle of the road and as he got out the car it was plain to see he had been drinking as when he got out he fell onto the floor and could not get up,he then decided to get to his front door by crawling on his hands and knees but was unable to reach up to put the key into the keyhole so crawled round to the back door, that was the last i saw of him.when the police finaly came out (3 hours ) later they knocked on the front door got no reply so went on there way.Next day i was talking to the bloke that lives next door to him and he told me he found him asleep in his back garden still well oiled.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts