x trail beam deflectors

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

After reading a previous post about head lamp beam deflectors for use when driving abroard i thought i better look into whether i can or cannot fit them on our new x t with xenon lights.

Well after checking the hand book which did not mention it, and several calls to my dealer it turns out that i must not fit any deflectors to the lens cover due the heat and intensity of the light, however also the lights are in a fixed position so cannot be adjusted for our trip. Im told we have a nearlly staight beam, only dipping slightly to the left and there is no possible way of changing them, unless we have new lights. So it looks like we just go on our hols to france and do nothing to our lights; Bizzare. Has anybody else come across this situation.

Darren.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I find it difficult to believe that the headlamps do not have a provision for beam adjustment. I was under the impression that there is an EU regulation requiring at least the possibility of manual adjustment by means of a switch on the dashboard to be able to take account of changes of attitude when the car is fully laden. Cars with xenon headlights, I believe, are required to have automatic beam adjustment. The range of automatic adjustment is also variable, but this needs to be done by a dealer.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi darren thanks for the research i have not had time to speak to nissan yet, my x trail which is a 2002 model has a wheel type switch that raises and lowers the beam for towing etc,not sure if this is the only adjustment i will speak to nissan tomorrow and let you know ta andrew.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
This sounds strange to me - it's always been the case that British drivers have to adapt the headlights on their vehicle to 'other side' driving. It can't be beyond the technology of modern manufacturers to incorporate some esay system of so-doing. We've always resorted to the 'black tape stuck on the relevant area of the headlamp cover' school of coping with the fact that your lamps need to point in the opposite direction. At the worst you'll be flashed by every driver coming in the opposite direction - at the best you'll be able to highlight your way, and not be flashed. As continental drivers have to be able to adjust their lamps in the opposite direction for driving in Britain, surely there must be a simple solution!!!??????

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I beg to differ about continental drivers fitting beam benders to their vehicles.

The only vehicles that I have seen with beam benders fitted are uk cars

Uk busses & trucks certainly dont & neither do the continentals

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Is there an easy way of telling whether you have these headlights as I cant seem to find reference to it in the handbook.

We have a 05 plate Terrano and would assume that if they are fitted to an 02 plate x trail they will be on my Terrano as well. I can adjust the beam for height from the dashboard but that seem to be it. Have always used stick on deflectors in the past with no problem (never even thought about having xenon headlights before).

Only had the car 6 weeks so this August's trip to the Loire will be the 1st time abroad with the new car.

Many thanks, Martin.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Martin,

I have a 53 plate X Trail, it has ordinary Halogen lights so yours will as well. Just fit the beam benders as normal. You can get them at Halfords, at the ferry terminal and usually on the boat in the duty free shop.

Have a great trip, you'll love it.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi spoke to my local nissan today and they do a stick on type deflector for the xtrail just looks like the ones from halfords and they have had no come backs or problems so it seems that these are fine to use.

andrew.

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
As I understand it, continental vehs do not have beams that shine to the right, as GB beams do to the left. Their beams shine straight ahead and do not therefore need adjustment.Why we have to be different heaven knows!!

Steve

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bigfoot, Ive checked and rechecked and as far as I can see they are just the standard halogen headlights so we shouldnt have a problem.

Martin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts