X-trail - some 'financial' advice?

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Many thanks for all your help with my previous reliability queries.

For the money I have to spend I can either get an 04 plate Skoda Octavia Estate (the 130bhp Elegance - like hens' teeth apparently) or an 04 plate X-trail DCI Sport.

Are there any X-trail owners around who would be able to comment on the financial implications of having a 'soft-roader' compared to a standard road car?

I've got an insurance quote and it doesn't appear to be too much difference there, and I appreciate tax and fuel costs are higher.

But - what are Nissan services/ repairs like in comparison? I'm scared by reports of dodgy turbos etc on early facelift models.

Are tyres etc THAT much dearer than a standard car?

Also are the cars complete monsters to drive round town?

Thanks, as always, in advance for your help.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hello Beej,we did have a 04 plate X-TRAIL but it was the 2.5 auto. It was to us a lovely car to drive and great puller for 1350 klg which is its maximum because its auto.However when i saw the tax about to go up considerable and a journey down to Cornwall in the summer found that the fuel consumption was about 18 mpg. So like i said on the realibilty question the Skoda 2.0 dsg diesel came out a winner, oh by the way the tax is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Beej

I owned an X-Trail before changing to the Sorento. It is a a very carlike 4X4 to drive and is quite swift. I had the DCi which was an excellent towcar but unfortunately they did have an auto in the range when I decided to change. Economy is quite good given the size of the car. Now talking about size it has no bigger footprint than a family saloon car. You will appreciate the higher driving position. As far as servicing was concerned it seemed to be no different from my previous Citroen. As for tyres they seem to last a lot, lot longer than ordinary saloon cars.Turbo's are a weakness although if the car has had all the recalls it should resolve the problem. When you view an X-Trail look under the bonnet. Sitting on top of the engine isthe intercooler. Run a finger around under the rim to check for oil. If you find excess oil there could be a problem.

David

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beej,

I bought a 2.2dCi new in Aug 06 and now have 15,000 miles on the clock, 50% of which was towing my Bailey Senator Oklahoma (1499kg MTPLM). Reliability has been 100%, the 12,000 mile service at the main dealer cost just under

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
hello beej,

I have a 16 months old x-trail 2.2 aventura it has just done over 7k miles,so its not loosend up as yet.my last towing in november about 26mpg.returned from oxford to suffolk today 300miles(including general running about.)33mpg.i'm hoping the mpg gets better as the mileage gets higher.my wife likes driving and towing with the x-trail.as far as dealers are concerned you probaly get good/bad as all manufacturers,i bought mine from a nissan dealers in suffolk and they have been very helpfull.ref turbo problems like others have said if all the recalls have been done,and you follow the instructions re starting ajourney and letting the turbo cool down,you should be ok.

i also drive and tow with a vw touran 2.ltr diesel 54 plate.same engine as skoda use and the mpg has allways been good,it gets better as the mileage gets higher 86k normal use 45-50.motorways 55-60depending on speed.towing about 30 mpg.

caravan mtplm 1400kg.

hope this all helps

good luck,

frankE.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Thanks again for all your replies.

Decisions, decisions eh!

X-trails are definitely easier to find - just gotta worry about the 'round town' mpg.

My Ford does about 44mpg round town and I guess that'd be more like 34 in an X-trail? Not VASTLY different I suppose?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I saw that in the Sentinel

The owners couldn't get it moved because of the holidays so someone scratched it

Lots of Christian forgiveness around this Christmas then

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi beej

I have read this thread with interest as i own a 52 plate 2.2 di xtrail,i have had it 2 yrs with no problems,the Nissan dealer i bought it from couldn't do enough for me until i collected the car and half the agreed faults hadn't been rectified(but aren't most dealers like this)eventually every thing was sorted.

Anyway back to my car i tow a 1300kg sterling with no problems on the 9hr run to cornwall it returns 30-32mpg,it tows on the motorway at 60mph in 6th gear at 2000rpm with no effort.

This weekend we went away to a cl when we arrived on friday night it was lashing it down as it had been all day,we pulled onto a waterlogged field and our pich was uphill and very wet,we pulled up the hill spun round and then reversed the caravan uphill into the pitch,the car never spun a wheel i was very impressed.I dont think the skoda would have touched the field,it was the same when we left site.

So over to you its your choice but i know what i would buy Andrew.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi beej

I don't really check it because my wife uses it but i think around 38mpg it also all depends on how hard you drive it,we had a citroen picasso before the x trail and that was more economical but we caravan all year and kept getting bogged down in the wet.

I must admit the turbo problem has always bothered me but all cars have inherant problems(a friend of mine is a service manager at vw and some of the stories he tells me would put you off vw for life) and sometimes there is to much info posted on line.

Hope this helps you a bit,

Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like frank I have a 16 month old 2.2 dci Aventura but unlike frank mine has now got 46000 miles on the clock!

We have just this W/e returned from a trip to Chamonix in the French alps with the 'van on the back a round trip of 1600miles and the car was superb . We averaged about 24 mpg towing at a steady 70mph (110kph) with the cruise control. French regs don't restict you to lower limits on the auto routes.

My car took about 14000 miles to loosen up and then there was a significant improvement in fuel consumption. I too have met people who have blown turbos' at various times but if you take care and let the engine idle for a few minutes when you stop after prolonged high speed running i.e. motorways you should not cook the turbo!

GERALD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Beej

I have had 3 X Trail 2.2 diesels since they came out

I was getting about 36mpg on fill the tank full basis once a fortnightish and 23mpg towing at 60mph

I always change the oil and filters(air and oil) at 6000mile intervals and have had no turbo trouble although one intercooler was changed.

I now have the new 2.0 diesel XT Sport and so far the mpg is not as good but hopefully it will improve as it frees up and I get used to the different gearing

The suspension has settled a good inch so you know what I am thinking Lutz!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts