X Trail Steamy Windows

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I picked up my X Trail yesterday 2.0i petrol sport, I am well pleased with it, but for one problem. It may be that I am not using it properly, I have read the manual and have tried every thing it says but with out success.

The problem is the windows inside keep steaming up including the windscreen, I have set the air intake to fresh air, I have the blower on full and set to blow on the windscreen but it still steams up. The only way is to push the DEF (Defogging) button which puts the A/C on, this clears the windows but if I then turn off the A/C button leaving the DEF on, with in a few minuets the windows steam up again. My son in law has the same model X Trail but with out climate control and does not have this problem. I don't want to have the A/C all the time just to keep the windows clear as it will decrease the MPG.

Any one have any idea what I'm doing wrong or is there some thing wrong with the car ?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I don't think there is anything wrong with your car, other than the fact that you've turned the air conditioning off.

20 years ago it certainly was the case that A/C sucked an enormous amount of power from the engine, when I was working in California many of the coastal mountain roads had signage telling you to turn off your A/C - and you could feel the instant improvement in engine power.

But a modern "European" car with climate control makes almost no difference to the fuel consumption you see driving your car.

I commute from the UK to Rotterdam most weeks, and my diesel C270 averages 53.5 mpg. Last summer a piece of road debris went through the A/C radiator - so for one week I had to drive with the A/C off - not only was it unpleasant but the fuel consumption did not change one drop.

If you have climate control, leave it on all the time - most of the time it's just removing excess water vapour from the air - these A/C systems are designed to work full time.

Robert

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi we had this problem with are freelander and it had a leak a seal had gone somewhere if i was you i would feel around the floor to see if its damp did you buy it private

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
in the morning it would be steamed up when you first got in and then it would take ages to clear but it would just feel damp all the time on the freelander the air con box is on the passenger side i dont know about yours feel under there, there might blockage or something

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi PaulA

I think rob_jax is spot on with his explanation. I never turn my climate control off, it dehimidifies the air inside the car and I never have steamed up windows. Climate/aircon should be used regularly or you get problems with compressor seals etc. I would only worry if I found condensation on the inside of the windows when the car has been empty for a while which might indicate a water leak into the cabin.

Cliff

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Can you clarify, if your car windscreen mists up all the time,after a run out, or when you first get into the car?

Pop
Pop its all the time, we travel for an hour to day and it steamed up every time I turned the A/C off.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi we had this problem with are freelander and it had a leak a seal had gone somewhere if i was you i would feel around the floor to see if its damp did you buy it private
I have felt around the floor and it feels dry, although the weather the last few days has been bad. I bought it from a Peugeot dealer I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I measure mpg every time I fill up and driving with the A/C on makes very little difference. When I bought the X-Trail I was advised to drive with the A/C on.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When you turn a/c off it takes a while for the internal moisture to evaporate - during this time the windows will mist up more, this is normal on all a/c cars.

It's possible that the a/c condensate drain is blocked which will make the situation worse.

Modern a/c systems are a lot more efficient than older ones, with less effect on the mpg. Most of the loss now comes from the 20-30kg extra weight of a/c components that has to be lugged around. Turning off the a/c will make very little difference to mpg so leave it on, all year round.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodger

I take it you have A/C and not climate control, this being the case make sure the heater controls are calling for heat as well as using the A/C, and as for leaving it on all the time, climate control yes, A/C no, i think you'll find a C270 has an onboard computer bigger than the alledged lunar landing, hence the the little difference in mpg, try it for yourself, it can't hurt.

Good Luck

Jeff.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodger

I take it you have A/C and not climate control, this being the case make sure the heater controls are calling for heat as well as using the A/C, and as for leaving it on all the time, climate control yes, A/C no, i think you'll find a C270 has an onboard computer bigger than the alledged lunar landing, hence the the little difference in mpg, try it for yourself, it can't hurt.

Good Luck

Jeff.
Sorry Rodger, that post was meant for PaulA

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks every one for your replies. I have spent an hour sat in the car on the drive, having read your replies and come to the conclusion that the problem was caused by the plonker operating the system Moir

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
PaulA,

I have the same x-trail and suffer from the same steamy windows, but usually only during fairly heavy rain. As you have discovered the auto setting doesnt seem to react quickly enough (if at all) so the only solution seems to be to adjust the settings manually. As suggested by others, I usually leave a/c on all the time.

One tip, in summer make sure you pull the sunroof cover shut or with all that glass it acts like a greenhouse. If it gets really hot, also leave the sunroof on 'tilt'.

David (ML)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts