x trail tow bar

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
We have today had a Witter tow bar fitted to our new x trail, and when i tried the caravan hitched to it the nose seems too low, ie the caravan is sloping forward quite a bit, there is only a 5" clearence between ground and jockey wheel, when we are loaded i expect this to be reduced slightly. Has anybody else had this problem, should i fit a plate to raise the tow ball?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is illegal

I answered this on the other thread but Witter told me that their standard X Trail towbar gave a height to centre of ball of 450mm

Mine was 450 mm but the new suspension soon settled about 50mm

This still gives a tow ball height within the limits but that is no comfort when the jockey wheel gets stuck or damaged through grounding

Even with doughnuts fitted the new car(same load) is at least 2in lower than the old X Trail but it tows superbly and rides really well

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The standard height of the towball is between 350 and 420mm, not 450mm. However, this is specified with the car fully laden (there is no standard towball height in the kerbweight condition). Therefore, if the towball is below 350mm minimum in the most severe condition, then there is something wrong somewhere.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps: Contrary to a widely held belief, there is no law which specifically forbids the use of raising plates. What the law does say is that the towbar, including the use of any adapter plates, must be type approved. Theoretically, therefore, if a manufacturer were to test and approve the use of a raising plate, then it would be legal. However, adapter plates are only intended for use on 4x4's only, where the standard towball height does not apply. Because 4x4's are designed for potential use off-road where more ground clearance may be needed, the towball may be higher than the standard specifies. To allow standard trailers and caravans to be towed on normal roads it may therefore be necessary to lower the towball. The towbar manufacturers are aware of this and therefore may provide for the use of optional drop plates. However, these must be approved by the manufacturer. Without such approval, even drop plates are illegal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz

Witter quoted 450mm which is as you say 30mm over the max spec

When loaded the suspension does sink a lot but still works well if you want to risk damage to jockey wheels etc

I went back to the dea;ler to have the suspension checked and they measured the distance from the wheel arch to the wheel centre unladen.This gives no indication as to the suspension suitability under load when actually being used however

This is the Witter spec for the old X trail so in type approval terms it would be illegal for this specific question

EC Type Approved: Yes Tow Ball: Flange 2 Bolt

EC Type No: 00-5017 S Value (kg): 100

Max Towing Capacity (kg): 2000 D Value (kN): 9.93

Max Coupling Packer (mm): 25 Cycle Carrier: ZX88 or ZX89

Max Drop Plate Size (mm): 0 Spare Wheel Location:

Strangely for the new XT the spec just leaves a blank for drop plate size

It has always been a taboo to use a drop plate to raise in UK

Something that I have never been ab;le to fully understand as especially with 4 X 4s the leverage could be decreased by raising the ball and increased by lowering it but it seems to be a taboo altogether now if its not ben type approved

Progress !

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Maybe the 450mm that Witter quoted were a guideline figure for the car in the kerbweight condition. As I said, the law specifies 350mm to 420mm and that only in the fully laden condition. There is no requirement when unladen.

There should never be any need to raise the towball if the towbar has been designed correctly in accordance with the above standards. (The case for drop plates is exceptional and applies only to 4x4's which are exempt from the standard towball height requirement). Hence, if there is no need for raising plates, the towbar manufacturers won't make or offer them. Consequently, they will not be type approved. And, if they are not type approved, they are illegal. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with any taboo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maybe the 450mm that Witter quoted were a guideline figure for the car in the kerbweight condition. As I said, the law specifies 350mm to 420mm and that only in the fully laden condition. There is no requirement when unladen.

There should never be any need to raise the towball if the towbar has been designed correctly in accordance with the above standards. (The case for drop plates is exceptional and applies only to 4x4's which are exempt from the standard towball height requirement). Hence, if there is no need for raising plates, the towbar manufacturers won't make or offer them. Consequently, they will not be type approved. And, if they are not type approved, they are illegal. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with any taboo.
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts