XC90 virsus XC60

Sep 11, 2007
Visit site
I have requested brochures for the XC60 ans XC90, which are still to arrive, but it would appear that the smaller and lighter XC60 is available with the 205PS engine yet the XC90 is avalable only with the 185PS engine. Am I correct or are Volvo about to change the engine in the XC90? Thanks

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
don't know, but i doubt you will notice 20ps either way, i would be more interested in torque, power to weight, and overall gearing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
More likely the XC90 is due for a major revamp so not worth homologating the new engine in the old model.

I believe the 205PS engine has better emissions, more economical and smoother that the 185PS version - as well as the power advantage.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i like both but i would have the xc90. mind you have you checked out the xc70 very nice. i dont know what the difference is in money maybe loads but ive seen the new disco 4 and its amazing.]

jo

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Probably get more of a discount on an XC90 ,discounts on stock XC90 models were in the region of 25% off.Saying that the out going X5 model discounts were in the region of 17% off.

Discovery need to lower the Co2 emmissions all the other manufacturers have got them or are getting them below the 224 mark, half the yearly road tax payment and lower showroom tax

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
At the moment I doubt that you can order wither an XC60 or XC90. As I understand it - & definitely the XC60 - both have sold their 2010 model year & the 2011 models are not orderable until mid March. Specs & prices are not yet released although don't expect much change with either.

Again as I understand it the new 175 or 205hp will not fit the engine bay of the XC90 so that will remain with the old engine.

The major difference with the new engines is how they produce their power. They are above 400nm of torque at 1500rpm which is several hundred rpm less than the old 185 hp engine. When you drive them this is very obvious as the new engines pull much better from lower revs. The auto box also takes advantage of this & as it seems to use less revs & doesn't need to change gear so often it is much more relaxing.

All this is a pity as it means that I much prefer driving the XC60 although with the same engine I would choose an XC90. It has more room & doesn't have that terrible rear corner blindspot that styling has inflicted on the XC60.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
chris

i know exactly what you mean about style over function, the same has happened with the new xtrail, large blind spots at the rear, the old xtrail was the best car i have ever had for reverse parking, at lest with the new xtrail the reverse camera helps.

but you only have to look at the latest cars with the stupid pear shaped rear side window to just know that the rear vision is compromised, give me a box shape car with large windows and a low waist line any day.

Another gripe i have is the lack of side rubbers to the latest cars, not many now have them, good for the dent repair companies i suppose?

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
Don't set me off;

Stupid painted "bumpers" that cost a fortune to repair if you touch anything

Side windows at a slant to reduce three quarter visibility

Automatic wipers for the blind who cannot see that it is raining

etc etc

I applaud good design but "good" includes best for the purpose!

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
yeah...and the stupid way it allows you to leave your sunroof open....and.... doesn't sound off a buzzer when you lock your car.....and ...so that when it rains and you've forgotten you've left it open you get a soggy arse next time you getin...GRRRRRRRR.

Or is that just my stupid fault?

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
Of course it is stupid to design a car so that it works efficiently - how could I possibly think otherwise!

Slanting side windows that are a fashion but you can't see out of must be more sensible than the nice Freelander shape which give good visibility.

Bumpers that are marked by some idiot when I get back in the car park because painted bumpers look nice but don't like being touched.

Yes if you leave your sunroof open you deserve a wet arse but good design reduces the possibility that you will do do. Good design does not make it more likely!

This is not a particular dig at Volvo, although I do think that they have become more image machines, but a lot of car design in general.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I dont know if you are still looking but Drivethedeal were offering 9k off a Xc90 active making it around the 22k mark.

These type of companies are brokers and find the cars from UK dealers,the deposit is paid to the dealer like a normal sale etc and a small fee to the broker.

I know of people who have used brokers and have had no problems the cars were delivered to their door on a trailer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts