Xplore the rubbish

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Having bought a xplore 403 ? I can honestly say it was the worst caravan I have ever had ...from water leaking from taps water ingress from the front window area and in the end cracking rear panels ....with little support from Elddis we got rid nightmare ended.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have you bought something different now?
Most times the problems you describe need sorting by the supplying dealer under the CRA.
30 years ago I had an Elddis 505 and in fairness it was good. Times change. What year was your disaster

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Have you bought something different now?
Most times the problems you describe need sorting by the supplying dealer under the CRA.
30 years ago I had an Elddis 505 and in fairness it was good. Times change. What year was your disaster
About 4 yrs ago...we have a Lunar Ultima now seems ok not used it much because of lockdown in know Lunars used to be called leaky Lunars but this one seems fine she's not a new one but explore was brand new and the meant nothing the cracking panels was the final straw.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
About 4 yrs ago...we have a Lunar Ultima now seems ok not used it much because of lockdown in know Lunars used to be called leaky Lunars but this one seems fine she's not a new one but explore was brand new and the meant nothing the cracking panels was the final straw.
Puzzled as to why cracked panels were not replaced under warranty by your supplying dealer. I’ve had a Bailey where front and rear required replacement and a Swift which had its rear panel replaced. Did not have any difficulty in having the work carried out. Was your caravan still in warranty? If so why didn’t the dealer take the lead in the replacement.

Reactions: JezzerB

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Belpernailer. Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your experience. Elddis don’t get great press. However, we have an Xplore 302 (2013) which has been great, and had an Avante in the past; also great. Just shows the inconsistency in the industry.
Mel

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Puzzled as to why cracked panels were not replaced under warranty by your supplying dealer. I’ve had a Bailey where front and rear required replacement and a Swift which had its rear panel replaced. Did not have any difficulty in having the work carried out. Was your caravan still in warranty? If so why didn’t the dealer take the lead in the replacement.
It was out of the 3 yr warrenty but Elddis don't warrent panels after a year even if water ingress as the opportunity to get in through the cracks because the 10 year water ingress warrenty is only valid if it comes through seals or joints not through cracked body panels .if you were to google Explore cracked panels its a mine field

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It was out of the 3 yr warrenty but Elddis don't warrent panels after a year even if water ingress as the opportunity to get in through the cracks because the 10 year water ingress warrenty is only valid if it comes through seals or joints not through cracked body panels .if you were to google Explore cracked panels its a mine field

Thanks. I find it amazing that Eldiss only give one year on panels and that their 10 year damp ingress doesn’t cover panel cracks. I know that some after market insurance backed warranties also do not cover panel cracks. It’s a poor reflection on the state of caravan making that the company has such little confidence in its product.

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. I find it amazing that Eldiss only give one year on panels and that their 10 year damp ingress doesn’t cover panel cracks. I know that some after market insurance backed warranties also do not cover panel cracks. It’s a poor reflection on the state of caravan making that the company has such little confidence in its product.
I spoke on numerous occasions to Elddis in county Durham and all the pompus women kept saying is read the small print in your warrenty booklet sir panels are not covered after the first year and offcourse she was right

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Belpernailer
I'm sorry to read about the problems that you had, and it's too late now, but if a forum member was in that situation now the response would be to inform the 'pompous woman' that a warranty is all well and good but a warranty doesn't replace your statutory rights.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Belpernailer
I'm sorry to read about the problems that you had, and it's too late now, but if a forum member was in that situation now the response would be to inform the 'pompous woman' that a warranty is all well and good but a warranty doesn't replace your statutory rights.

So true and at 4 years old it would have been covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, a hugely powerful tool, but one to use against the supplying dealer, not the maker.
It would then not be your issue dealing with the maker, any claim against them is down to the dealer, and in no way affects your claim.

But now not relevant other than a route if faced with such intransigence in the future.

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having read this thread, it does seem the CRA would have been the route to take regards the cracked panels. The CRA takes the manufacturers opinion out of the equation, and the liability falls on the seller.

But it does raise another important issue. The CRA requires that goods are of a merchantable quality and sufficiently durable. Products should be designed and manufactured with that in mind, becasue sellers (dealers) are not going to be impressed if manufacturers continually supply goods then wash their hands of problems when the sellers are still exposed to the liability under the CRA.

This is another example of how the caravan manufacturers continue to ignore the impact of their poor design or choice of materials on their end users, by hiding behind their dealers and the fact they do not make the retail sale.

I do wish there was route for end-users to have a readily accessible route to bring faulty design or manufacturing action directly against manufacturers beyond the limitations of the manufacturers guarantee. As it stands the customer can only bring action against their co-contractees., and hope that enough actions make the sellers be more forceful with their suppliers about quality of products.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Pick any brand and the warranty by the manufacturer on panels is only 1 year if you read the small print in the owner's manual. After that 1st year the argument is with the dealer using CRA 2015 as your weapon of choice.

As for the 10 year ingress warranty that only covers sealed joints and the chances of water ingress in a sealed joint is minimal so basically the 10 year damp ingress is only a marketing ploy. Does anyone know of any one who has made a successful claim for damp ingress between the 6th and 10th year?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Having thought long and hard about this (wasn't going to comment at all) I really feel for you but it's a bit unfair to say Xplore are rubbish-there are many very happy owners of Elddis caravans. There a bad examples of every van and it's how the dealer in the first instance deals with the faults. They are at fault if you're not happy. I only hope your Lunar continues to please you as there are some unhappy Lunar owners, not least as they now have no water ingress warranty at all because of the take over. Hope all goes well for you.

Reactions: DaveA1, PTA and Mel
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Eldiss did replace the end panels under warranty if you pointed out to them that they gave a 10 year warranty against water ingress. The only way to comply with the act was therefore to deal with the cracks although they did come up with a system of capping the panels which apparently did work. They seem to have had major problems with these panels judging by the forums reports and they did seem to make people fight for their rights.
I agree with the Prof in that the CRA was the best form of attack here, as the Act provides excellent rights against the dealer and the sheer number of people with this complaint would provide ample evidence of a faulty product. I think in this case the management think they got away with one here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts