Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have a picasso as described above and am considering using it to tow a caravan. Its curb weight is stated as 1300kg with 90 BHP. Is this viable or should I look to buy a different car?

I would want a 4 or 5 berth and have never done this before and so have limited experience.

Thanks

Darren

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darren

At least you've asked. I can't comment on the Picasso but it may be like the last shape Zafira, i.e quite a low towing weight. Have you checked the handbook or the citroen website for its towing capability.

Re caravans, Baileys and Lunars are 2 of the lighter new caravan brands, but if you're buying 2nd hand then a whole host of vans then start to fit into your twoing range.

Remember be sensible about your cars abilites, look on the archives here but also on here http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/forums/index.php

for more info towing, cars and caravans in general.

For your info I tow with a Mondeo TDCI/Bailey Provence combination.

Have fun and possible welcome to the fold.

Andrew

peo

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
darren, I too have a 2.0 hdi after previously owning a 1.8 sx petrol. With the previous we towed a elddis firestorm with a max of 1040 kg however with the new one we tow a bailey ranger 500/5 which has a max of 1295kg which is 95% of the cars 1300. happy with this and have had no problems . depends on how much your carrying and what your experience is.we found there wasnt that much available on the market in new vans due to the layout we wanted.

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Darren,

This may be of help.

I have a 1.8 (120bhp) Picasso SX.

Citroen claim the unladen weight is 1245Kg (1300Kg for the 2.0 Hdi)

This is without fluids or driver as far as I am aware.

I have weighed my picasso on a weighbridge with almost a full tank of fuel, me and nothing else. It weighed 1420kg. I have also weighed it with a tank of fuel, wife and myself, three small children in car seats. a buggy in the boot and an empty 470 lt roof box fitted. It weighed 1600kg.

I would therefore assume that the 'real' kerbweight of the 2.0 Hdi must be around 1450 - 1500kg.

I would advise a trip to a weighbridge to confirm.

Regards,

Andy.

PS A queation for Peo. How did your 1.8 Picasso tow. There is a lot written about the 2.0hdi but very little on the 1.8

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For the Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI, Citroen quote an unladen weight of 1300kg on their UK website, 1313kg on their French website and 1375kg on their German website. I can't imagine that differences in equipment specification for each country would account for such a large variation in kerbweight. Published data for kerbweight should therefore be taken with a pinch of salt.

By the way, the figures are always stated according to European standards, i.e. with all fluids, the fuel tank 90% filled and 75kg for driver.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For the Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI, Citroen quote an unladen weight of 1300kg on their UK website, 1313kg on their French website and 1375kg on their German website. I can't imagine that differences in equipment specification for each country would account for such a large variation in kerbweight. Published data for kerbweight should therefore be taken with a pinch of salt.

By the way, the figures are always stated according to European standards, i.e. with all fluids, the fuel tank 90% filled and 75kg for driver.
Just for interest's sake, the Spanish Citroen website quotes a range from 1300 to 1406kg for the same model. That's probably the most honest answer of all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Weights (Kg) 2.0HDi 90hp

Unladen weight 1300

Max laden weight 1850

Max towing weight braked 1300

Max tow hitch download 80

Max roof rack load 80

THIS IS THE CAR WITH NO PASSENGERS AND ALL FLUIDS INCLUDING A TANK(90% FULL) OF PETROL--ADDING WEIGHT TO THE CAR DOES NOT INCREASE ITS LEGAL KERBWEIGHT

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Weights (Kg) 2.0HDi 90hp

Unladen weight 1300

Max laden weight 1850

Max towing weight braked 1300

Max tow hitch download 80

Max roof rack load 80

THIS IS THE CAR WITH NO PASSENGERS AND ALL FLUIDS INCLUDING A TANK(90% FULL) OF PETROL--ADDING WEIGHT TO THE CAR DOES NOT INCREASE ITS LEGAL KERBWEIGHT
The unladen weight of 1300kg that you quote has no legal significance. This figure is given for reference only. It's the actual kerbweight that counts and can therefore vary considerably from one vehicle to another.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts