yet more biased negative publicity

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
In a very recent issue of a popular motoring weekly motoring magazine caravnanners have received yet more negative but incorectly written publicity, the article is titles "vanners pulled up on safety". It states that we are not towing the line when it comes to safety and lists that 10%od caravanners admit to going over the 60 mph limit and 7% admit to using the outside lane of the motorway, it then goes on to say that"nearly" 10% have towed without the corect registration on the rear. this whole article was written in negative type and put across that we are evil law breakers so i have re-writen the article as i think it should have been published and e-mailed it to the siad magazine, bet they don't publish my e-mail. below is a copy of how i felt the article should have been published.

VANNERS SHOW THE WAY IN SAFETY

Caravanners and trailer users have shown that safety comes first in a recent survey, the survey shows that 90% of caravanners stay within the legal speed limit and 93% know that it is against the law to use the outside lane of a motorway whilst towing, unless the the inside and middle lane are blocked, the survey also showed that over 90% check that the correct registration is showing on the rear of the caravan before setting off.

of course the version above would never get published.

Then as if to finish the stabing frenzy on caravaners the very same magazine only one week later published an article that adviced anyone to avoid buying an estate car with a tow bar fitted as it would have been subjected to large abuse with a caravan on the back, so any one with an estate had better watch out, your cars not worth anything any more acording to ross pinnock the used car editor who quotes "give ex tow cars a wide berth".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Icemaker, As someone who tows all sorts - caravans - trailers horse boxes etc. I have to say that I agree with the last comment.

Prolonged towing will completely ruin the set up of most ordinary saloons/hatchbacks etc. Estates can sometimes have beefed up suspension so they may be a little better.

The problem is that towing with many ordinary cars - especially near the 85% limit is always going to be a compromise. These days with suspension components having "fitted for life" bushes etc., if they become prematurely worn as they will from towing, then rather than just replacing the bushes, the whole component has to be changed.

I have to agree with the author of the last article you quote. If I had a choice between a car that had a towbar and one that had not, as long as all other aspects were equal I would go for the one that had never towed every time.

The alternative is to use a vehicle that is designed to tow and on which replacing the suspension bushes is a simple job.

As for people towing in the fast lane - that I personally have never seen. But people towing too fast - on many occasions.

Also seen a number of outfits where the caravan "tail" is wagging the car "dog".

I appreciate that in reality the first article could be re-written 90% and 93% and well done for saying so. But who ever said that journalists were anything else than circulation "tarts" - they just try to appeal to the largest common denominator.

However, what if 5% of all drivers drove badly or were guilty of speeding? If this were true (I have no idea - I made up the 5%) then if 10% of caravanners ignored the 60mph rule then caravanners would be twice as "lawbreaking" as the ordinary motorist.

I do not believe it myself - but just put it forward because as a caravanner myself, living near the New Forest, I see some truly awful driving by caravanners as well as some outfits that sway all over the M27 & M3. Clearly they are not set up correctly or are just a bad match.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Guys,

I would recommend to everyone have your bar removed before sale or even a valuation on trade-in. The trade will find any excuse to devalue your car and make an extra few

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts