Your dream Caravan or Motorhome site and pitch.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I am setting up a small caravan site and I am interested to hear what would be your perfect site.

Someone mentioned a warm dog shower. Maybe it is no dogs at all.
I can’t put in a fully serviced beer and red wine tap on each pitch as much as I would like to but I’d be interested to hear what the touring community would like or not like to see on a site.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Level drive on drive off pitches. Under floor heating in facilities. Dogs allowed with nice dog walk. Pub with nice food within close walking distance! Easy approach roads not narrow lanes. Decent 4g phone signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olas
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There will be big variations in what caravanners want/need, often contradictory - you certainly can't be all things to all people - we wouldn't use a toilet/shower block if we had a serviced pitch but many others would - we like to have mature hedging on one side of the pitch to encourage wildlife - free wifi is a bonus but needs good bandwidth as some visitors will stream movies and tv programmes.

You referred elsewhere to woodland pitches, some of us use tripod-mounted satellite dishes for TV reception so need decent line of sight clearances.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you may need to decide what customer base you are aiming at but I think most of us want a good flat pitch good site roads and with good access to the fresh water, waste disposal and other facilities.
Hook ups of 16 amps are a must, and most people want a good toilet block. Fully serviced pitches are generally appreciated either as a standard or as an optional premium pitch but will be expensive to install.
Most caravans and motorhomes do have good toilet facilities but many people will still only take sites that provide washing areas, toilet and showers . Launderettes and dish washing facilities also attract customers.
Peoples tastes vary, but most sites take families and dogs, but against that there is a market for no dogs or adult only or separate areas for them. It possibly depends on where you are and the type of visitors you expect. Possibly check what others in your area have and that should give you an idea, but something different can set you apart.
Do make sure the others in the area have full sites to make sure there is room for one more.
If you go for families, then a play area helps, and dog owners do like a dog wash.
You can more if the budget allows.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Please can I have a flat hardstanding serviced pitch which doesn’t need industrial equipment to drive the pegs in. Enough room for my caravan and 3 metre wide awning with my car parked next to the van on the opposite side to the awning. 20A electrics would be nice too. Dog walking area and dog wash. Not too fussed about washblock as we use our own facilities. Lakeside or riverside pitches are always a favourite as long as there are no anglers whipping the water to a froth 24/7 with all the various continuous beeping noises that go with it.
Oh and if you have to have seasonal pitches make it a rule that there are no scruffy planters, tatty gnomes and green algae coated saggy awnings.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Adults only, a flat pitch 16 A electrics, ideally with it's own water tap. your idea of the pitches in the forest but on the edge of a glade, (think that's what you ment) Toilet Blocks, never use them, so my pitch could be the other side of your forest. Cider tap would be fine:cool:

And make it impossible for people using the toilet block, to take a short cut across another pitch. :mad:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Please can I have a flat hardstanding serviced pitch which doesn’t need industrial equipment to drive the pegs in. Enough room for my caravan and 3 metre wide awning with my car parked next to the van on the opposite side to the awning. 20A electrics would be nice too. Dog walking area and dog wash. Not too fussed about washblock as we use our own facilities. Lakeside or riverside pitches are always a favourite as long as there are no anglers whipping the water to a froth 24/7 with all the various continuous beeping noises that go with it.
Oh and if you have to have seasonal pitches make it a rule that there are no scruffy planters, tatty gnomes and green algae coated saggy awnings.
What connector will you use for 20A?

Reactions: DaveA1
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
This is all really useful. Fear not I do know the direction I am heading but it is very useful to hear the different views. We will not be trying to cater for all tastes and as mentioned we will not be the high capacity packed in site that is far too common unfortunately. We are definitely going down the route of providing pitches that are very well spaced out with a feeling of seclusion so nobody can see another pitch. It will attract people who want peace and quite and want to be in tune with nature. Outdoorsy active families who want to seek adventure, explore the woodland, our Iron Age hill fort and the wild outdoors of South Pembrokeshire. I’m not sure we would appeal to the typical caravan club member. We will be a bit more rustic. Not manicured but a feeling of being in the wilds but with good facilities. Help yourself to free range eggs from the chickens, In the morning, honestly shop with local and our own produce. Feed the piglets, explore the Iron age hill fort in the ancient woodland. Take a few risks on rope swings and rope bridges over the stream. Bushcraft courses, a campfire area on every pitch so you can cook over an open fire or just sit by it and look at the stars. Chop your own free firewood. Badger watching at night in the woods, bird watching. Really good point about the planting of the trees and the satellite reception. I will definitely consider this when cutting and planting. It is also very interesting that some of you have mentioned that you do not need the washroom facilities. Fully serviced probably not but a tap at each pitch would be straight forward enough. So yea. Definitely no gnomes. 😂.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
This is all really useful. Fear not I do know the direction I am heading but it is very useful to hear the different views. We will not be trying to cater for all tastes and as mentioned we will not be the high capacity packed in site that is far too common unfortunately. We are definitely going down the route of providing pitches that are very well spaced out with a feeling of seclusion so nobody can see another pitch. It will attract people who want peace and quite and want to be in tune with nature. Outdoorsy active families who want to seek adventure, explore the woodland, our Iron Age hill fort and the wild outdoors of South Pembrokeshire. I’m not sure we would appeal to the typical caravan club member. We will be a bit more rustic. Not manicured but a feeling of being in the wilds but with good facilities. Help yourself to free range eggs from the chickens, In the morning, honestly shop with local and our own produce. Feed the piglets, explore the Iron age hill fort in the ancient woodland. Take a few risks on rope swings and rope bridges over the stream. Bushcraft courses, a campfire area on every pitch so you can cook over an open fire or just sit by it and look at the stars. Chop your own free firewood. Badger watching at night in the woods, bird watching. Really good point about the planting of the trees and the satellite reception. I will definitely consider this when cutting and planting. It is also very interesting that some of you have mentioned that you do not need the washroom facilities. Fully serviced probably not but a tap at each pitch would be straight forward enough. So yea. Definitely no gnomes. 😂.

That sounds absolutely great.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We would prefer a Flat hardstanding service pitch & grass section where you put porch awning on then park your car on the right side of van ,
Tap and drain
Tv cable hookup (WFI to all pitches )
Enclosed field for dog walking
16 A
Washing up sinks
Disable/ Shower facilities
Adults Only

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In a previous post you mention that you are near to the Stackpole Inn. Last year we walked on the coast path from Freshwater East CMHC via the hill fort to Barafundle Beach and the ponds. Returning via the Stackpole Inn and roads. The roads were packed with police and park rangers erecting signs diverting traffic and turning folks around it wasn’t a bank holiday either I would not have liked to be towing a caravan around the immediate area under those conditions. Do you have good access to the site?

PS and what is a "typical Caravan Club Member" .......... why not CCC member also? ;);)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Olas - be wary of investing infrastructure based on internet forum comments - we have a wide range of opinions and not everyone needs the same on a site, some of which are contradictory.

Start with high quality basics and leave yourself options which you can assess in discussion with the sort of people that actually stay at your site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

When you are on holiday, you want to relax and enjoy yourself and don't want to be chopping wood and what happens if someone is using the ave and injures themselves? Same applies to the rope etc. They could sue you for big bucks so think carefully about that aspect.
Did more than enough bushcraft when in the services, but it may appeal to some. Most cafravanners carry some sort of BBQ so not much point in having an open fire / BBQ area are on each pitch however why not have a communal area with an open fire, some shelter in case of rain and a bar counter. Every one can bring their own meat and drink. Only do the open fire on Fridays and Saturdays. The open fire will need to be constructed in such way that children cannot burn themselves.
Have you thought about a laundry room etc?

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
When you are on holiday, you want to relax and enjoy yourself and don't want to be chopping wood and what happens if someone is using the ave and injures themselves? Same applies to the rope etc. They could sue you for big bucks so think carefully about that aspect.
Did more than enough bushcraft when in the services, but it may appeal to some. Most cafravanners carry some sort of BBQ so not much point in having an open fire / BBQ area are on each pitch however why not have a communal area with an open fire, some shelter in case of rain and a bar counter. Every one can bring their own meat and drink. Only do the open fire on Fridays and Saturdays. The open fire will need to be constructed in such way that children cannot burn themselves.
We would prefer a Flat hardstanding service pitch & grass section where you put porch awning on then park your car on the right side of van ,
Tap and drain
Tv cable hookup (WFI to all pitches )
Enclosed field for dog walking
16 A
Washing up sinks
Disable/ Shower facilities
Adults Only

Good answers. Thanks,

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
In a previous post you mention that you are near to the Stackpole Inn. Last year we walked on the coast path from Freshwater East CMHC via the hill fort to Barafundle Beach and the ponds. Returning via the Stackpole Inn and roads. The roads were packed with police and park rangers erecting signs diverting traffic and turning folks around it wasn’t a bank holiday either I would not have liked to be towing a caravan around the immediate area under those conditions. Do you have good access to the site?

PS and what is a "typical Caravan Club Member" .......... why not CCC member also? ;);)

Thanks for the reply. No narrow lanes to here fear not. We are Freshwater West side not Freshwater East.

Oh dear. Without being ist I would consider a typical caravan club member to be like my mother and father who have been touring for nearly 50 years. They like everything just so. It isn't a criticism but there is a very different person who is actually touring seeing the countries best and most spectacular wilds to someone who hitches up, drives to Tenby, sets up their van for 2 weeks watching tv while the kids are taken off to kids club by a chap in fancy dress. Different folks different strokes. I love them dearly but I don't think my parents would like my site. Or saying that they probably would actually but they are pretty stuck in their ways.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. No narrow lanes to here fear not. We are Freshwater West side not Freshwater East.

Oh dear. Without being ist I would consider a typical caravan club member to be like my mother and father who have been touring for nearly 50 years. They like everything just so. It isn't a criticism but there is a very different person who is actually touring seeing the countries best and most spectacular wilds to someone who hitches up, drives to Tenby, sets up their van for 2 weeks watching tv while the kids are taken off to kids club by a chap in fancy dress. Different folks different strokes. I love them dearly but I don't think my parents would like my site. Or saying that they probably would actually but they are pretty stuck in their ways.

Thanks for your reply, time to stop digging. (LOL). Good luck.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site

Hi Buckman. Thank you for your reply. You say "when you are on holiday" I think you mean "when I" Different folks different strokes. I'd be getting the kayak out or going surfing. Climbing on rocks taking controlled risks with the kids. Kids have been deprived of the simple things in life. Made a den in the woods. Fallen off a rope swing, Got filthy dirty in a stream or cooked their fish they caught that day over an open fire followed by marshmallows on a stick. I'd say there is more chance of crashing the caravan and being injured than chopping a bit of wood with a blunt splitting maul but fear not I will have comprehensive PI insurance. There will be stinging nettles and brambles, fox gloves and poisonous mushrooms, blackthorns and ropes over streams. I heard a story about some chap trying to claim from a site because a branch fell off a tree onto his caravan. Yes there is a duty to make sure no trees are not dangerous but really. Quite unbelievable. Sitting on ones backside too long is far more detrimental to ones health than taking a few risks that is for sure. As I say. Different folks different strokes. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Olas - be wary of investing infrastructure based on internet forum comments - we have a wide range of opinions and not everyone needs the same on a site, some of which are contradictory.

Start with high quality basics and leave yourself options which you can assess in discussion with the sort of people that actually stay at your site.

Wise words. Thanks for the reply. It is very useful to see the range of opinions. Only a fool would base his decisions on an internet forum but research is very important and useful even if it simply tells you what or who one doesn't want.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for all of the replies everyone. Very helpful indeed positive or negative it gives me a very good insight into the demographic.
Signing off and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts