Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I have the new o8 nissan x trail 171bhp aventura explora and think its a great tow car, we currently tow a 1380kg mtplm caravan but would like a bigger van with fixed bed/ end washroom. the twin axle pageant limousine weighing in at 1580 and 7.8m long looks good, but also i now see a swift challenger 570 is imerging which weighs in at 1595 on a single axle and is 7.5m long. With a kirb weight of about 1720kg i realise both vans are more than an 85% match, but what would be best? Does the twin axle and alko atc of the pageant make for a more stable and better outfit than the swift which weighs slightly more and has no atc and is quite long on a single axle.

Darren

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the 150 bhp and tow the Ace Award Nightstar which has a max weight plated at 1550kg

The XT tows it really well and its very stable

I fitted shockers on the van when new but they now come with them in the price

As noted elsewhere I also fitted M A D spring assisters to the car which has improved the attitude of car to van but it towed OK before and we went to France without the M A Ds

They do raise the rear and improve roll when solo without spoiling the ride.The extra height on the towball makes it easier with the inside the A frame jockey wheel as well

I would have thought that the twin axle is getting a bit on the heavy side even though Nissan give 2000kg as tow limit

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The 148 bhp xtrail is rated at 2000kg manuel version

The 171 bhp is rated at 2200kg

Although i'm sure the xtrail is capable of towing your purposed van, i always wonder, how do you go on with a hill start, or just towing in hilly areas?

I have had the clutch smoking on a primera and an A4, and to look at the gradient, you would not of expected it.

At the very lest, your car will get some stick!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The 148 bhp xtrail is rated at 2000kg manuel version

The 171 bhp is rated at 2200kg

Although i'm sure the xtrail is capable of towing your purposed van, i always wonder, how do you go on with a hill start, or just towing in hilly areas?

I have had the clutch smoking on a primera and an A4, and to look at the gradient, you would not of expected it.

At the very lest, your car will get some stick!
Thanks for pointing that out Ray

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your views,

However i do believe that to say that the twin axle would be a getting a bit heavy (only 45kg more than your ace) is a bit silly, this is only the weight of a child. And also the comment about the car getting some stick sounds bizare, it is capable of tugging 2200kg, 615kg more than the pageant. My original message was to decide whether the twin axle with alko atc would be a better and more stable tow than a similar weight single axle without alko atc.

Cheers,

Darren

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well you asked for an opinion and if you think the reply is silly then go ahead its you taking the risk

There has to be a point at which its not viable

Straws and camels backs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your views,

However i do believe that to say that the twin axle would be a getting a bit heavy (only 45kg more than your ace) is a bit silly, this is only the weight of a child. And also the comment about the car getting some stick sounds bizare, it is capable of tugging 2200kg, 615kg more than the pageant. My original message was to decide whether the twin axle with alko atc would be a better and more stable tow than a similar weight single axle without alko atc.

Cheers,

Darren
Perhaps someone will give the reply you want but so far you've just got 2 who don't agee

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Darren

When say it will take some stick, i was referring to the odd occasion, when you might have to perform a hill start.

Ever time i have increased the weight of my caravan, there has always been a noticeable difference in towing performance and handling.

As a matter of interest, while i was reading the policy of my new van insurance. It clearly states that should the van weigh more than the KERB weight of the tow car, then the insurance is void.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ray,

Point taken, i guess i slightly misunderstood your original reply.

Sure thing a van of that weight could cause more stick on the car than i lighter model, especially in a hill start situation, but as i said it would still be well below the permitted towing weight of 2200kg. And im sure insurance is problem, the van in question is within the cars towing limit, and also less then the kirbweight of 1720kg. It would be plain silly to tow a caravan which is heavier than the tow car, although im sure we have all seen such set ups on our travels.

Cheers fow now

Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts