1.4 16V Renault Scenic as towcar (1250Kgs Kerbweight)

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hey,

Just wondered if anyone else has experience of towing with the above vehicle?

We are new to caravanning and do not have a unit yet, but have been looking at the Eriba Familia 310GT (730 Kgs unladen) due to the low weight - I've spoken to the dealer who assures me the the weight ratio is ok, but I would like to hear any other "real world" experiences towing with this car.

My main worry is total loss of power due to the size of the engine. Unfortunately changing the car isn't an option at the moment.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks (",)

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I have no experience of this car, but I expect that even at 730kg you will have a complete loss of power, it will probably be difficult to get over 40mph and you will never get out of 3rd gear! I think it will be very hard work towing anything with this car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Eriba has quite a good aerodynamic shape. Guessing at 200kg payload, the weight ratio would be about 75%. This is not too bad. You might need to use the gears a bit to maintain speed, but I think that it will be OK. It should certainly be safe, but I would always recommend a stabiliser - the Alko 1300 would be just fine for you.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
I have just checked it out on www.whattowcar.com and the results surprise me, looks like it will have no problems!
Thanks, I checked out that website too (invaluable!) and was pleasantly surprised. It's nice that people have taken the time to reply, so thank you again.

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

I tow with a scenic 1.5cc 100 bhp diesel kw 1340kg c/van ace ambassador 1100kg max no problems so far 38 -40 mpg towing 58-62 solo watch your max weight use a stabliser hope this might help

Ellis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts