12 volts socket from van to car

Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
hi does anyone know what my problem could be having driven home yesterday and putting caravan back in storage

i pulled out the 12 volt plug for the caravan internal electrics and noticed the plug was hot and smoking

there was a bit of water due to the rain

the other towing plug for the lights on van was ok does any one know what this could be thanks

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
michael

It sounds like a poor connection, inspect the plug pins, and i would advise checking inside the plug, and maybe the socket.

Be prepared to replace both if required.

If you find no fault, then the fridge or battery could be drawing excess current.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will find that the centre pin on the 12S (Grey) plug will have melted the plug where it enters the body of the plug.

The reason for this is the pins have closed up and provide a high resistance for the fridge return.

When you undo the plug you wil find theplastic melted around th inner part of th centre pin, you will have to cut the old plug off and fit a new one.

Or , preferably change both car and van to 13pin system

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will find that the centre pin on the 12S (Grey) plug will have melted the plug where it enters the body of the plug.

The reason for this is the pins have closed up and provide a high resistance for the fridge return.

When you undo the plug you wil find theplastic melted around th inner part of th centre pin, you will have to cut the old plug off and fit a new one.

Or , preferably change both car and van to 13pin system
I agree with Damian but until you change over to the 13 pin system open up the 12S pin with a flat blade screwdriver. I do this on every other trip and never had any problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts