12S ELECTRICAL PROBS

May 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Hope someone can offer me some help. I have purchased a used ABI Award Daystar MK2 year 1990 and am towing this with a Hyundai Santa Fe 2001 which was fitted with all the Witter towing equipment. All appeared OK and have made two trips but have been concerned that the caravan battery was not charging from the car so have had to replace the battery. I have checked the wiring of both the caravan and the car and found that the car has the newer wiring and the van the older wiring which I now understand will not charge the caravan battery. The problem appears to be with the tow bar socket pin 4 which has auxilliary battery charging and live feed, this checks ok. The van plug has pin 2 for auxilliary charging and pin 4 a permanent live feed. I have changed the position in the caravan of pins 2 AND 4 and the charging works. Can anybody offer me further help - I have checked the Haynes manual??? Is there a quick-fix solution to the 12S problem of new/old? Thanks in advance.

May 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

if you want to keep your car and van wired as they were you could always make up a lead with a 12s socket one end and a plug on the other and swap the 2pin and 4 in this then insert between the car and van which would be the same as you've done changing the pins on the tow bar but you would have the advantage of using this wire if you connected to an older van or without for a newer van. hope this is what you ment

ant

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are a member of the Caravan Club there is an excellent technical bulletin available on their web pages which covers all aspects of this. www.caravanclub.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All you need to do is get a wiring kit comprising a relay , fuse and cable.Coonect direct from the car battery via the fuse and relay to pin 2 on the car socket and your car will then work both old and new systems

May 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi

thanks to all replies very helpful. I think I have found the problem, my car is fitted with a pct towing interface volton combi unit, which automatically switches pin 2 to charge battery and pin 6 to run fridge, the side to pin 6 is ok but nothing on pin 2. I have emailed manufacturer and await a reply, thanks again.,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HiJohn

To make sure that your van battery is being charged en route you must make shure that the change over swich on the ECM is in the Cental position. if not it will not charge.

Check the details of the ECM elswhere on this forum under technical. hope this helps

Regards

Jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts