12S socket

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I recently had a 12v s soocket wired up for a 1991 caravan. I seem to remember the fitter telling me that if I bought a new caravan I would have to remove one of the wires (something to do with the fridge I think). but I cant remember which wire he said, green or blue. Can anyone help?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neill, If the car is wired for pre 99 caravan standard, and you use a post 99 van, then the wire on pin 2 that is used for battery charging would be redundant, but you can leave it in place with no problems. What you will have to do is connect the black wire on pin 7 to car chassis for the fridge reurn (-ve).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the car is wired to the old standard plus the dedicated fridge earth(pin & centre black) it will work with caravans wired to old and new standard .There is no need to remove any wires.Pin 2 blue is the old battery charge but there is no need to disconnect it as the corresponding pin in the 12s plug will be without anything to make contact with it anyway

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before connecting up a van made after September 1998 disconnect the blue wire from pin 2 or a fuse will blow. The blue wire was for battery charging on pre-Sept. 98 vans but battery charging is via pin 4 (green)on later vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil,

At first sight you may believe that you are receiving conflicting information, however, the following, with acknowledgements to the Caravan Club may clarify:

*Quote* "3.5.16 Sensing Device.

The wiring standards for 12S and 13 pin systems include provision for a 'sensing device'.

This is intended to allow the towing vehicle to detect that a trailer is present,and thus make any appropriate adjustments (eg. turn off towing vehicle fog lights; adjust gearbox/engine settings etc.). The Club is not currently aware of any towing vehicle which uses this facility, and hence this circuit can usually be ignored. The exception is if towing a continental built- caravan. In this case, ensure that neither 12S pin 2 nor 12S pin5 in the caravan is connected to earth. If it is, then a dead short may occur, blowing a fuse or causing damage to the circuits. To avoid this, disconnect the relevant circuit in either the caravan or towing vehicle before hitching up. No such possible conflicts should occur with UK-built caravans, nor if using a 13 pin connector" *End of quote*

With more and more continental vans being sold in the UK, it is as well to be aware of this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts