12V from car

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I have just returned from 4 nights on a non electric hook up site and having started with a fully charged battery it ran out off power on the third night. I plugged the van into the car thinking I could use the car battery but nothing worked on the 12volt side,even with the engine running. Should I have been able to do this.? The van battery indicator was showing 12.5 volts and not charging. I have a 2008 Swift Charisma 520. I have read that modern vans when connected to the car render the vans 12 volt unusable, is this so? Any advise would be appreciated.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian,

In principle, yes, you will be able to charge your leisure battery from the tow vehicle.

However, if the engine is running, most of the services in your van will not be available, including those that require 12V (i.e. hob ignition).

If you can let me know what control panel you have (should start with NE followed by 3 numbers), I can tell you exactly how to charge your leisure battery.

Thanks,

Ash

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian,

The NE190 panel has two buttons & LEDs to indicate which battery is in circuit.

If the tow car engine is running, irrespective of which battery is selected on the control panel, the leisure battery will be charged / topped up. However, nothing apart from the fridge will actually be powered. As the tow car can charge the leisure battery, directly from its own alternator, and not through the charger fitted in the van, the control panel will not recognize the leisure battery being charged.

If the tow car is plugged to the van, without the engine running, you can use the control panel to select which battery should be used and charged (if you were on MHU).

I hope that helps.

Ash

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Although we have a different control panel, that is how ours works, and how it was in our old Emerald. You should be able to use from the car battery in an emergency.

Is it possible that there is a problem with the wiring to the sockets on the car Ian?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian did these comments help you? If not are you sure that your car towing electrics are fully wired correctly? A friend of mine had a similar problem and I discovered he had no relay in his car to provide power to operate habitation relay and power his fridge! This with the 13-pin "full towing electrics" as fitted to his car by his dealer!! (or perhaps their sub-contractor!) Anyway we bought a smart relay, ran some wires through to the 13 pin socket on his car and all now working fine.

As Swift guy said its necerssary to switch the vans "van/car" switch to "car when wanting to power the van from the car when on site. Easy thing to forget to do!

Andy

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Ian did these comments help you? If not are you sure that your car towing electrics are fully wired correctly? A friend of mine had a similar problem and I discovered he had no relay in his car to provide power to operate habitation relay and power his fridge! This with the 13-pin "full towing electrics" as fitted to his car by his dealer!! (or perhaps their sub-contractor!) Anyway we bought a smart relay, ran some wires through to the 13 pin socket on his car and all now working fine.

As Swift guy said its necerssary to switch the vans "van/car" switch to "car when wanting to power the van from the car when on site. Easy thing to forget to do!

Andy

Hi Andy

I've been told that the car battery will not power the 12V on the caravan except the fridge, which it does. It will not work the lights, water pump etc. Apparently this is how they are designed.

Toying with the idea of buying a generator to top the leisure batteyr up on sites in future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts