12V selector switch

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
My van is a 2004 Stirling Eccles Jewel. Can anyone please give me some clarity as to where I should position the 12V selector switch on my power supply/circuit breaker unit while towing? The sales man told me during handover to position it in the centre ie between car and van, the caravan handbook says position it to car, the dealer's electricians say leave it on the van position, otherwise the fridge won't work. I tend towards believing the electricians, confusing or what?

Help!!.

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
John

I assume that you wish to keep the power to the fridge whilst driving. If so putting the switch to van runs the 12v circuits in the van, the fridge wont work. putting the sitch to car powers the van 12volt system from the car. Keeping the switch in the middle allows the split charger in your car to power the fridge whilst the car engine is running and also should help to recharge the van battery. Howeever diferent vans have slightly different systems I would tend towards the handbook. You can always confirm with Sterling.

Good Luck

Colin

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
John

I would agree with Colin on this-put the 12v switch in the neutral position. Don't know about the latest fridges, but most don't have a thermostat when operating on 12v. Hence the ignition controlled relays in your car to prevent flattening the car battery, if you put the switch to car. With no relay in the van you get a flat leisure battery instead if set to van

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts