13 pin plug charging caravan battery

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I am about to get a 2009 Kia Sorento BL diesel auto. It needs a tow bar (never had one). If I fit a 13 pin plug will it be any use to charge my caravan battery. I ask this because neither of my new cars, Peugeot 308 and Australian Ford will charge a leisure battery. They both have "smart charging" which means the alternator only supplies enough power to run what is turned on in the car. The ECU reduces alternator output to improve fuel economy. Will the Kia put some charge to a second battery?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The present EU standard trailer connector is a 13pin. IF yours has a 12pin connector it may not connect to your new car.

Some vehicles with smart charging when fitted with the correct tow bar wiring loom will recognise that a trailer is connected and will provide a feed to charge the caravan battery and to power the fridge.

If a manufacturers approved tow bar wiring loom has not been used or teh vehicles ECU updated, then the car may not provide power to teh caravan battery.

You would be best to check with your vehicle supplier or manufacturer about what the system is set up to do.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The major thing to insist on when having the towbar fitted is that the 13 pin socket is FULLY WIRED, many are not and do not include the fridge and battery charging circuits.
The car will probably need an update to the computer management system to recognise when the van is on the back and allow the extra output from the alternator, also if you have stop start system on the car it is best to switch this off when towing.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
The 2009 Kia Sorento BL diesel you propose buying is unlikely to have a Euro6 standard engine.
If that is the case then it will not exhibit the problem that concerns you and should be able to deliver a constant charge to your caravan when underway. As others have said that assumes that the wiring and towbar connections allow it to do so.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Given that it appears that the OP is in Oz we are talking a different world market sector so I would suggest that any Euro spec will not be in the build spec of those models?

(Agreed much of it is ECU mapping but do they have DPFs and such like?)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The major thing to insist on when having the towbar fitted is that the 13 pin socket is FULLY WIRED, many are not and do not include the fridge and battery charging circuits.
The car will probably need an update to the computer management system to recognise when the van is on the back and allow the extra output from the alternator, also if you have stop start system on the car it is best to switch this off when towing.
Most cars with stop start and an OEM towbar wiring kit will switch stop start off when correctly coded by the installer. My last two Skoda and Subaru also illuminated the dashboard light informing me that S-S had been inhibited.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
otherclive said:
Damian-Moderator said:
Most cars with stop start and an OEM towbar wiring kit will switch stop start off when correctly coded by the installer. My last two Skoda and Subaru also illuminated the dashboard light informing me that S-S had been inhibited.

That's true, but it may not get over the Euro6 regenerative charging problem.

My solution was to fit a roof mounted solar panel to our caravan to maintain our caravan's battery and ignore any charge that we might or might not get from the Euro6 VW Passant that we had.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I have 6 cyl Aust Ford in Australia and van with solar. The Ford arrives at the end of a long trip with less charge in the car battery than when it left. Ford says the engine computer controls the alternator output to minimum for load and this can't be adjusted. I usually put C-Tek on it once a month to restore it.
Now I have new Knaus Sports in Slovakia, which I fitted two 105AH AGM batteries, and it looks like they last me at least 5-6 days without charge. I am unlikely to go that long without accessing 230v and recharging them. So I don't want the expense etc of solar, but I would like to get a trickle from the Sorento while towing and from the above replies it looks like I will when 13 pin plug is fully wired.
I have a Peugeot 308 SW but the van is pretty much on it's limit, and I want to load the van a bit more. Hence getting the Sorento as a tow vehicle, and I also intend to use transfer case in forest trails etc. (2009 BL last model with transfer case)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts