159 mph copper - Good sence prevails at last

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Personally I think he should have points, fine and a ban. He broke the law as others do.

His driving ability is irrelevent, he was speeding and faster than we poor people do, who get done for 5 miles over the limit.

He can always continue his job on foot and be more useful in the community.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I dont care if he is classed as "creme de la creme" he is NOT superhuman and is not above the law!

ROADCRAFT--- police driver training-for any officer driving a police vehicle.

a) EXEMPTIONS... exceeding the speed limit IF on an emergency call,lights and sirens MUST also be used,discretion on sirens at night.

(even unmarked cars have lights and sirens)

b)NON EXEMPTIONS(even on an emergency call)

Dangerous driving

Not observing a one way sign

Not observing a no entry sign

Crossing/overtaking on solid white lines.

And many more

These are a few of the BASIC rules that apply when driving and he has FAILED on all counts, West Mercia Police I believe use Roadcraft !!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I joined the Ambulance Service when a Station Officer sat alongside you and assessed your driving. The vehichle I drove was a Bedford J Type for those who remember them. Our pet name for this particular vehicle was the Blue Bomber. Later on, on refresher courses we had police officers from West Mercia lecturing us on various aspects of the law/driving and we also drove on their skid pans. At that time West Mercia used Road Craft and the Ambulance Service driving courses were based on the police driving courses. I cannot speak for the last 2 years though.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Around my part of the country there are plenty of teenage kids with cars that will do over 160mph and with a small deposit virtually anyone can go and buy a 160mph + bike that cast less than 10K.

The officer was not very wise, but I'd bet my last

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
Here are a few facts about this case;

P.C Mark Milton was recorded by his dashboard video monitor driving in his Vauxhall Vectra 3.2GSI at; 84mph in a 30mph zone; 131mph in a 60mph zone and 159mph on the M54 which has a 70mph limit. Home office guidelines state that police drivers should obtain prior authorisation to break the limit, or permission from a senior officer afterwards. West Mercia Constabulary confirmed that P.C Milton received neither.

P.C Milton, an advanced driver, said that he was "familiarising himself" with the new car and assessing it's capabilities.

Bruce Morgan the district judge sitting at Ludlows magistrates court found him not guilty and he was aquitted. The judge described advanced police drivers as the creme de la creme who must be allowed to practise. He also criticised the lack of policy on the subject. West Mercia police described P.C Miltons speed as "wildly excessive" and have banned all officers from breaking the speed limit when testing cars on public roads.

In my opinion the officer involved is an arrogant, over-confident and irresponsible man who used his position to drive at stupid speeds on public roads with no regard for public safety. West Mercia should have sacked him on the spot to make an example of him, and to reassure the public that this kind of action will not be tolerated. And finally I think the judge who aquitted him is a complete ass with no grip on reality. 84mph in a 30 zone, come on!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site

P.C Mark Milton was recorded by his dashboard video monitor driving in his Vauxhall Vectra 3.2GSI at; 84mph in a 30mph zone; 131mph in a 60mph zone and 159mph on the M54 which has a 70mph limit. Home office guidelines state that police drivers should obtain prior authorisation to break the limit, or permission from a senior officer afterwards. West Mercia Constabulary confirmed that P.C Milton received neither.

P.C Milton, an advanced driver, said that he was "familiarising himself" with the new car and assessing it's capabilities.

Bruce Morgan the district judge sitting at Ludlows magistrates court found him not guilty and he was aquitted. The judge described advanced police drivers as the creme de la creme who must be allowed to practise. He also criticised the lack of policy on the subject. West Mercia police described P.C Miltons speed as "wildly excessive" and have banned all officers from breaking the speed limit when testing cars on public roads.

In my opinion the officer involved is an arrogant, over-confident and irresponsible man who used his position to drive at stupid speeds on public roads with no regard for public safety. West Mercia should have sacked him on the spot to make an example of him, and to reassure the public that this kind of action will not be tolerated. And finally I think the judge who aquitted him is a complete ass with no grip on reality. 84mph in a 30 zone, come on!
well said John!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

Just the thought of me driving at 84 in a 30 zone fills me with fear. It doesn't matter even if it was in the early hours, it was totally reckless.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I think John is way over the top here, question why the police are given these tools before you write this guy off.

I was told some years ago that a Scandinavian police force was to ban police from breaking limits even in a persuit or on emergency calls. They could radio ahead rather than chase and get into a high speed crash scenario's. I don't know if it ever happened.

Why cant the police just have basic diesel cars not GTI'S SRI'S etc. Why are they given 150mph bikes when 200cc hondo will exceed any UK limit..

As a point of interest I saw a Lamborghini follow a Ferrari onto the A3 yesterday, engine exhaust note and the speed they dissapeared at would suggest to my well trained ears and eyes that they broke the national max speed limit on the slip road before slowing to a more moderate speed further along the road.

A couple of "boys" playing I guess, something more than this officers case needs to be done if speed is such a problem.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Viano

V Class

Peugeot 206

Shogun

Hyabusa

BMW

Fireblade

Yamaha

Landcruiser

Trooper

Peugeot Van

Renault Van

VW Van

Ford Cargo

Renault Gargo Truck

40' Motorhomes

Lotus

Ferrari

Lamborghini

Noble

XK8

Aston Martin

Not all at once, but regular enough basis.

I wait with baited breath ;-)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Viano

V Class

Peugeot 206

Shogun

Hyabusa

BMW

Fireblade

Yamaha

Landcruiser

Trooper

Peugeot Van

Renault Van

VW Van

Ford Cargo

Renault Gargo Truck

40' Motorhomes

Lotus

Ferrari

Lamborghini

Noble

XK8

Aston Martin

Impressive list cris, do you actually own any of these vehicles?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
HI cris (again)

There is no emergency in the world that justifys the possibility of creating even more casualties by responding to it.

I take it by your reply to Lisa that you regularly drive,and drive lots of different vehicles, so does this make you superhuman or immortal, and able to bypass the science of stopping distances should an unexpected event occur?? which they do and unfortunately keeps me in a job !

Tina x (; to show no argument intended!)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Viano

V Class

Peugeot 206

Shogun

Hyabusa

BMW

Fireblade

Yamaha

Landcruiser

Trooper

Peugeot Van

Renault Van

VW Van

Ford Cargo

Renault Gargo Truck

40' Motorhomes

Lotus

Ferrari

Lamborghini

Noble

XK8

Aston Martin

Good for you!

Lisa

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Viano

V Class

Peugeot 206

Shogun

Hyabusa

BMW

Fireblade

Yamaha

Landcruiser

Trooper

Peugeot Van

Renault Van

VW Van

Ford Cargo

Renault Gargo Truck

40' Motorhomes

Lotus

Ferrari

Lamborghini

Noble

XK8

Aston Martin

Tecnically my wife owns the 206 and the Lotus and me the Mercs and the bikes and a Renault van but in our marriage there is no yours and mine! I have a business interest in Ferrari, Aston and Jag and all the other stuff is what I drive during work starting in a few weeks time.

I have raced in the past and still play on race tracks now and again and do the odd track day on bikes and in cars.

If you read my post earlier you will see that I am well aware of mortality frailties.

I have driven/ridden at 200mph on German roads with friends and yes stopping distances are put into the equation but risk assesment and road and weather conditions and the way you feel etc are also driving factors at any speed.

No one can bypass all enexpected events, but the holier than thou type attitudes that come across from some when commenting on incidents such as the policemans speeding are alittle OTT at times.

A guy or gal killing themself at 100mph in a super car is worse than some smack head dying having sold his filthy drugs to others and ruining their lives?

I admit that I have done some risky things on the roads and I am far far better behaved with age. The guys I raced with 30 years ago and who drive fast vehicles are all still alive or have died from other causes.

All the comment re this awful speeding case,when most people on this site will regularly break speed limits is a little worrying.

Take any ten guys away from their partners and family and see how they drive then, tell me that all the guys on here with 100+ mph cars have not given them the odd flat out blast or near it.

Go tell the superbike and super car manufacturers that they are selling dangerous goods, and when you drive past the Porsche, BMW or Ferrari dealer you can honestly sit back and say that all those cars will never go over 70 mpg let alone get the odd boot to 140 and on.

This is the real world guys and gals and the old tale about stones and glass houses springs to mind when these stories hit the press

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
Cris,to quote

"A guy or gal killing themself at 100mph in a super car is worse than some smack head dying having sold his filthy drugs to others and ruining their lives?"

Its the guy or gal in the car travelling in the opposite direction that I feel sorry for. Sorry but I agree with tina ob this one.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi cris

a guy killing themselves at 100mp is as BAD as selling filthy smack not worse or better. What about the innocent family driving the other way that dont do drugs,are pottering along on the speed limit,and get rammed off the road to their deaths??all for "the need for speed",yes everyone can do as they wish with thier lives, you like to drive fast then thats your choice,but you do not have the choice to break the law.You are probably right about blokes away from their wifes,having a blast! it's still not right,and the reason this case is so bad is that the officer is in uniform supposedly representing the law,.

After weather and road condtions and comfortabiltiy have been accounted for what allows for the stray dog,deer,horse that comes running out unexpectedley? I can throw stones in that I have NEVER driven at 80 in a 30mph ZONE. This I believe makes me corteous, not HOLY (dont do church)

Tina x :)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tecnically my wife owns the 206 and the Lotus and me the Mercs and the bikes and a Renault van but in our marriage there is no yours and mine! I have a business interest in Ferrari, Aston and Jag and all the other stuff is what I drive during work starting in a few weeks time.

I have raced in the past and still play on race tracks now and again and do the odd track day on bikes and in cars.

If you read my post earlier you will see that I am well aware of mortality frailties.

I have driven/ridden at 200mph on German roads with friends and yes stopping distances are put into the equation but risk assesment and road and weather conditions and the way you feel etc are also driving factors at any speed.

No one can bypass all enexpected events, but the holier than thou type attitudes that come across from some when commenting on incidents such as the policemans speeding are alittle OTT at times.

A guy or gal killing themself at 100mph in a super car is worse than some smack head dying having sold his filthy drugs to others and ruining their lives?

I admit that I have done some risky things on the roads and I am far far better behaved with age. The guys I raced with 30 years ago and who drive fast vehicles are all still alive or have died from other causes.

All the comment re this awful speeding case,when most people on this site will regularly break speed limits is a little worrying.

Take any ten guys away from their partners and family and see how they drive then, tell me that all the guys on here with 100+ mph cars have not given them the odd flat out blast or near it.

Go tell the superbike and super car manufacturers that they are selling dangerous goods, and when you drive past the Porsche, BMW or Ferrari dealer you can honestly sit back and say that all those cars will never go over 70 mpg let alone get the odd boot to 140 and on.

This is the real world guys and gals and the old tale about stones and glass houses springs to mind when these stories hit the press
Hi cris

I made my point earlier and having seen the consequences of dangerous driving in the UK, I'll stand by what I said.

Regards

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi cris

a guy killing themselves at 100mp is as BAD as selling filthy smack not worse or better. What about the innocent family driving the other way that dont do drugs,are pottering along on the speed limit,and get rammed off the road to their deaths??all for "the need for speed",yes everyone can do as they wish with thier lives, you like to drive fast then thats your choice,but you do not have the choice to break the law.You are probably right about blokes away from their wifes,having a blast! it's still not right,and the reason this case is so bad is that the officer is in uniform supposedly representing the law,.

After weather and road condtions and comfortabiltiy have been accounted for what allows for the stray dog,deer,horse that comes running out unexpectedley? I can throw stones in that I have NEVER driven at 80 in a 30mph ZONE. This I believe makes me corteous, not HOLY (dont do church)

Well said Tina.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi cris

With the greatest of respect cris the posts on here are talking about someone who drove at 84mph in a 30 zone. That 30 zone must have been enforced for a reason. Jealousy as you insinuated earlier doesn't even come into it. Responsibility to others and respect for others right to live does, even if its a cat crossing the road. No way can I compare someone doing 34 and getting a ticket for

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
With the greatest of respect cris the posts on here are talking about someone who drove at 84mph in a 30 zone. That 30 zone must have been enforced for a reason. Jealousy as you insinuated earlier doesn't even come into it. Responsibility to others and respect for others right to live does, even if its a cat crossing the road. No way can I compare someone doing 34 and getting a ticket for

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi cris

:O( posted in the wrong place

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts