Oct 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi there folks. Newbie here.
I'm living permanently in a 1990s Elddis Wisp 450/4.
I'm getting ready for winter by redoing all the insulation with 25mm PIR and 3mm ply. Just going to lay PIR on the floor and board it over. Should do😊

My main issue atm is the hob. Seems to be a leak from knob valve on one of the gas rings.

Would any one know what model this is so I could get parts?

Haven't seen any photos of it online. 1990s gas caravan hob

Much obliged,

Richard (through the Winter)

Attachments

• IMG_20241014_180353~2.jpg
    IMG_20241014_180353~2.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 6
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome Richard. I have no doubt that improving the floor insulation will make you more comfortable but be aware, you still need to maintain ventilation and gas drops. Positioned wisely, they should not cause draughts. Wind deflectors can also be fitted next to the vent under the floor.

Re the hob. Many on here will guard you about diy gas work. But you may be better measuring the recess and seeking an alternative hob from a breaker. Or. Think about swapping it for an induction hob.

John

Oct 13, 2024
Visit site
John,

Thank you for that reply.

Yes venting is important and the originals will stay in place.

I was only trying to preempt what a fitter might need to repair it when that time came.

I hadn't thought that there would hobs of similar size available, so thanks for that.

Regrettably I have no electric power here - not for a while anyway. I use the big battery in the Land Rover Defender to charge phone and lanterns.

Many thanks,

Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First and foremost, if you are aware that a gas appliance is not working correctly (such as a leaking valve) it is imperative that you stop using the appliance immediately and ensure it is isolated to prevent any further leakage.

I am one of those who will warn against DIY gas appliance repairs. That is for your safety. There are some very specific regulations about who can work on gas appliances, and from your opening post, where yo tell us you are permanently living in the caravan, that removes one of the options that allows owner to work on gas systems. By law as it is in permanent occupation you must employ a qualified LPG gas fitter to undertake work such as original installation, servicing, removal or replacement of gas appliance's or pipework.

TRENDING THREADS