2002 Rover 75cdt Tourer auto for towing your experiences plea...

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi All,

Nice forum can anyone please advise me how their R75 tows and what problems if any you have had?I have just bought the above car with 41k on the clock and i think it's the pooches plums! The trouble is i have only ever towed with 4x4s so towing with a car is an all new experience so come on how do these motors fair? Are they a handful and very unstable do they struggle up big inclines and what mpg can i expect towing say a 1350kg van. Any help or advice suggestions or any comments very very much appreciated so come all you vanners advise me??????

cheers,

chaz.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
2 problems

1, watch your speed with the van on the back

2, the clutch will smell if you have to work it hard in reverse (thats common on a lot of newer cars)

Oh, yea, you will love it!

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
2 problems

1, watch your speed with the van on the back

2, the clutch will smell if you have to work it hard in reverse (thats common on a lot of newer cars)

Oh, yea, you will love it!
Thanks Steve,

Have no probs with clutch it's an auto according to the handbook the total towing weight is the same as the manual 1600kg. So hopefully all will be well if it copes with telegrapgh hill down Devon i think it will cope with anything?cheers,

chaz.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I wish you luck I had the misfortune to drive a new R75 last year for 7 weeks. Lovely car but with the squeaks and groans getting louder as the weeks went by and handling like a whale and strange knocking and banging from suspension even after a trip to dealer. I was shocked when I found it had used oil at only 5 or so K on the clock with only me using the car when my old merc 5 up towing a van with 100 ke on the clock used less oil. I hope yours is a better example than the one I experienced, waiting in the car park of a hospital a Doctor with the same car gave a list of problems with his longer than both his arms as I tried to get the central locking to work yet again.

I have nothing against Rovers but was glad the car was not mine! It seemed such a nice car but proved a nightmare.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Cris

Sounds like you found a bad one. Generally they are very good cars. I have the MG ZT-T 190+ and I can honestly say that it is better put together than the Lexus I used to own (and learnt to hate)

I don't have any rattles or bangs, it towed (van too heavy for it now) like a dream and pulls like a train. The equipment level in it can rivel even the high spec cars.

Shame, they no longer make them

Steve

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
I wish you luck I had the misfortune to drive a new R75 last year for 7 weeks. Lovely car but with the squeaks and groans getting louder as the weeks went by and handling like a whale and strange knocking and banging from suspension even after a trip to dealer. I was shocked when I found it had used oil at only 5 or so K on the clock with only me using the car when my old merc 5 up towing a van with 100 ke on the clock used less oil. I hope yours is a better example than the one I experienced, waiting in the car park of a hospital a Doctor with the same car gave a list of problems with his longer than both his arms as I tried to get the central locking to work yet again.

I have nothing against Rovers but was glad the car was not mine! It seemed such a nice car but proved a nightmare.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply or am i? i hope my R75 does not become a pain i have no rattles or bangs at moment so fingers crossed?

The car goes very well and drives like a petrol i have to remind myself somtimes that it is in fact a derv auto!

cheers,

chaz.

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I've been towing for three years with a Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club manual and a Coachman Amara 500/5. I have had excellent results and have on occasions travelled at 70 m.p.h. with no problems. The car is heavy with plenty of torque.

Two things to note, though. About 6 months after I bought the car new, Rover offered a chipping service, at a cost of

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply or am i? i hope my R75 does not become a pain i have no rattles or bangs at moment so fingers crossed?

The car goes very well and drives like a petrol i have to remind myself somtimes that it is in fact a derv auto!

cheers,

chaz.
Charlie. I liked the car and it went well generally, {pipe delimiter}But the handling and noises were a worry and the Doc at the local hospital had me wondering. With all the trouble I guess it was one of the last friday cars made. But driving it without a van behind it I did find the oil consumption a big concern. Enjoy but keep an eye on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts