2003 Bessacar. Any tips on problem areas to look for?

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Looking at buying a 2nd hand caravan its 2003 Bssacar, doesn't appear to have any damp, Im looking again tomorrow as I want to see everything working. Any tips or things to particularly look out for? Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking at buying a 2nd hand caravan its 2003 Bssacar, doesn't appear to have any damp, Im looking again tomorrow as I want to see everything working. Any tips or things to particularly look out for? Thanks
Has it actually been comprehensively checked for damp with a meter, or AWS technician survey. Most times it’s not visible or sensed until it’s a really major problem. Does it have a service record and when was it last serviced. When were its tyres manufactured, including spare if fitted. Does the seller ( if private) have title to the caravan?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its all to easy to discover your wearing rose tinted spectacles when looking to make a purchase like this. Hard as this may seem look twice as hard to find faults, especially when the caravan is as old as this one.

In my view it would really make sense to use the services of an Approved Workshop Scheme mobile engineer to carry out a pre purchase inspection before you agree to buy it. Its usually money well spent, becasue you gat an independent appraisal of the condition. You are then in possession of a list of possible problems and you are in a better position to know if they're jobs you can do yourself, or afford to have done, or if its project too far.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like what everyone says make sure you take a damp Meter check everywhere inside near the front windows walls and, roof check the bodywork outside of caravan any dints or scratches . Has it been service and had a damp survey also got no finance outstanding and paperwork all in good order Good luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks im going to buy a damp meter this morning, it does have a habitation check list so I want to see this too
Make sure the seller is willing to allow the use of your meter as those with prongs will indent the walls and need careful use.

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Ok so what a disaster!!! It didn't have really any damp, back corner 7%, couldn't see on the roof. But when I was looking around the front windows , the frame was soft and dull to knock, but looking a bit more the whole of the front panel section inside had come away from (i guess the frame) and I could of pulled the whole section down, my fingers could touch the wood, which actually felt dry I wonder if the seal across the front at the top outside has been repaired, but interior section not glued back in place. So the guy selling it is away and his employee was showing me the van, I then get a message from the seller, asking me what I thought, I said wasn't interested, explained why, didn't want to get the repair done (who knows what it was like underneath) I then got told that was normal, i didn't know anything bout caravans, he's sold 100s, there's no damp (i never mentioned damp) if i wanted to look again would have to leave a deposit, I didnt need to see the habitation as everything was working, said I wasn't interested again. Then I got a barrage of abuse about wanting something for nothing, that it was a good job he wasnt the one showing me it and I was a time waster. So even if it was a minor repair I wouldn't of bought it from him, had to block him eventually.. Happy Days

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm both sorry and happy for you - sorry it wasn't the van you wanted, but happy you weren't drawn into bad proposition.

From the description you've given I sense this wasn't a caravan main dealer you were buying from. and it reinforces the advice to avoid the small back street sales (for caravans and cars) It better to go to a main dealer of get lucky with a good private sale direct from the user.

If i'm wrong and it was a main dealer then I certainly suggest your report the trader to caravan maker they represent, just to give them heads up about the type of customer skills they have.

Better luck next time.

Reactions: deb21
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Was it a back street dealer or a private person advertising and individual? Either way it seems you had a lucky escape. (y) :unsure:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok so what a disaster!!! It didn't have really any damp, back corner 7%, couldn't see on the roof. But when I was looking around the front windows , the frame was soft and dull to knock, but looking a bit more the whole of the front panel section inside had come away from (i guess the frame) and I could of pulled the whole section down, my fingers could touch the wood, which actually felt dry I wonder if the seal across the front at the top outside has been repaired, but interior section not glued back in place. So the guy selling it is away and his employee was showing me the van, I then get a message from the seller, asking me what I thought, I said wasn't interested, explained why, didn't want to get the repair done (who knows what it was like underneath) I then got told that was normal, i didn't know anything bout caravans, he's sold 100s, there's no damp (i never mentioned damp) if i wanted to look again would have to leave a deposit, I didnt need to see the habitation as everything was working, said I wasn't interested again. Then I got a barrage of abuse about wanting something for nothing, that it was a good job he wasnt the one showing me it and I was a time waster. So even if it was a minor repair I wouldn't of bought it from him, had to block him eventually.. Happy Days
As you continue looking at vans you will gain the necessary experience and finally have the one for you want. Good hunting and don't settle for less.....

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Makes you wonder why he was so aggressive when in the current market a good van at the right price should sell Like hot cakes, and whoever heard of having to place a deposit just to view. All sounds like he’d got his horse and Stetson round the back and you did well to walk away!

Reactions: deb21 and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Makes you wonder why he was so aggressive when in the current market a good van at the right price should sell Like hot cakes, and whoever heard of having to place a deposit just to view. All sounds like he’d got his horse and Stetson round the back and you did well to walk away!
I put a £250 holding deposit on a car and it was taken off of sale immediately. It was fully refundable in the event that I decided not to purchase. Given the speed the parts model was going from forecourts I had no objection to paying the deposit.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Lucky escape there. If you are a first time buyer there is plenty for the unaware to get wrong and personally I would rather deal with a reputable dealer and pay a bit extra or take an experienced caravan owner with you. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts