2009 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 as towing vehicle??

Aug 26, 2019
Visit site
Hello

First post on here. We're completely new to caravanning. We're looking to get a caravan in the next few weeks. We've seen a Baily Ranger 550 which is a 6 birth and a laden weight of 1258kg. I've checked on https://towcar.info/GB/ and it appears suitable, but wondered if anyone experience could confirm? I've a Class 1 HGV licence so weight for me is not an issue. It's whether the car is physically able?

My car is a 59 plate, Vauxhall Astra estate

The VIN shows
Gross Weight - 1940
Gross Train - 2930
Max Axel 1) 1015 2) 0940

Would appreciate any help.

Many thanks
Dave

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
DHaslett said:
Hello

First post on here. We're completely new to caravanning. We're looking to get a caravan in the next few weeks. We've seen a Baily Ranger 550 which is a 6 birth and a laden weight of 1258kg. I've checked on https://towcar.info/GB/ and it appears suitable, but wondered if anyone experience could confirm? I've a Class 1 HGV licence so weight for me is not an issue. It's whether the car is physically able?

The VIN shows
Gross Weight - 1940
Gross Train - 2930
Max Axel 1) 1015 2) 0940

Many thanks
Dave

If the GTW is 2930 and the GVW is 1940 then the maximum you can tow is 2930-1940=990Kg - which puts the Ranger 550 out of the window. You should find a label on the caravan low down near the door showing MTPLM which is tha maximum load mass of the caravan. Note that if you are stopped for a weigh it is the plated weights that are used, NOT the actual weight at the time.

One other thought - check your licence. You may have a Class 1 HGV ticket but does your licence show B or B+E? If you took your test before 1/1/97 then it matters not, but if it was after that date and your licence does not show B+E I would suggest you talk to the DVSA in Swansea to make sure you are legal with a caravan.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Also check your V5 Which will give you your towing limit. On my insignia that's 1600 kg the kerb weight is way above that. whatever the towing limit is, If you stay within this you will be OK. Just one point the rear axle weight on my insignia can be increased by 85 kg, when towing. check if yours can be

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
DHaslett said:
Hello

The VIN shows
Gross Weight - 1940
Gross Train - 2930
Max Axel 1) 1015 2) 0940

Many thanks
Dave

If the GTW is 2930 and the GVW is 1940 then the maximum you can tow is 2930-1940=990Kg - which puts the Ranger 550 out of the window. You should find a label on the caravan low down near the door showing MTPLM which is tha maximum load mass of the caravan. Note that if you are stopped for a weigh it is the plated weights that are used, NOT the actual weight at the time.

One other thought - check your licence. You may have a Class 1 HGV ticket but does your licence show B or B+E? If you took your test before 1/1/97 then it matters not, but if it was after that date and your licence does not show B+E I would suggest you talk to the DVSA in Swansea to make sure you are legal with a caravan.

When I was stopped for a VOSA weight check it was the actual weighed weights that were recorded and then compared to the cars and vans plated weights. The time when plated weights are used would be to check the outfit does not exceed 3500kg for a holder of a restricted licence type B. In such instances weighed weights are not required.

You can check your own licence categories on line at DVSA.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dave

My understanding is the same as Woodentop's - the gross train weight is the actual weight of car and trailer that you can't legally exceed. Therefore if your car was fully loaded, the weight of the caravan (or any other type of trailer you towed with it) could not exceed 990kg.

If you car was not fully loaded this would allow it to legally tow a heavier caravan, but going that close to the limits is never really sensible.

In general caravanning terms, a Vauxhall Astra is about as big as a flea and the vast majority, if not all 6-berth caravans will be too heavy for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts