2010 Kia Sorento

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Having waited for this cars details for so long to replace our 4 yrold sorrie and being assured it would be a suitable match for our crusader at 1900kg we now find that the heaviest new sorento will only be 1837kg? no expert but surely this is not a good match???

pls help with advice for a new towcar that isnt 28,000

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why not stick with the existing Sorento and do what I did when faced with your dilema: buy your wife a nice new car. That parks your problem for another 2-3 years at least.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know where you got the information from that the kerbweight of the new Sorento is only 1837kg. The Kia website quotes a range of 1710 to 2008kg, depending on model variant and options and even these figures are probably very conservative.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunatly Kia have seen fit to aim the new sorento at another part of the market ie the school run mob, and so the new one has not got the towing ability of the old sorento

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you but it may make sense for Kia though as it targets a wider market, and one that does not need such a a capable car for towing and off road. It would be interesting see see what the "weighed" kerbweight is of the KX2. Also with its better ride, lower CG and ESP it could still be a fine towcar and at 85% ratio it would still take 1700kg towed van, which embraces about 98% of all UK vans I guess.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HIGH,i will be taking my sorento four the second service at the end of may, so i will be looking to see what their like,as far as the weight i thought it was heavier than 1837kg.i dont know why they have messed about with it,its always been a brilliant tow car because their heavy.ALL THE BEST ALAN P/T

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Heavy does not necessarily equate to a good tow car although it helps. Things such as suspension, CoG, overhang, esp etc can all make a massive difference to towing ability. LR2 is a fine towcar, but not that heavy, as is CRV.

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know where you got the information from that the kerbweight of the new Sorento is only 1837kg. The Kia website quotes a range of 1710 to 2008kg, depending on model variant and options and even these figures are probably very conservative.
those figures are for models not to be marketed in the uk which is a shame as is Hyundai decision not to bring the superb Veracruz

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Other Clive, you are quite right, I have no doubt within its reduced capabilities its a good towcar,it has I understand done very well in towing tests in Austrailia where it was released earlier than the UK.

It is supposed to be a better ride and handling car, along with improved fuel figures and for the tree huggers lower emmissions.

I can fully understand that commercail pressures dictated the end result in the shape of the new sorento, I however will stick for the forseable future with my beast.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
What no-one has so far mentioned is that the new Sorento has a noseweight limit of only 80kg. Therefore based on the Caravan Club's 7% recommendation, this would limit you to towing little more than 1200kg! I spoke with our local main dealer about the change to the noseweight limit and asked him to clarify the situation with Kia. That was well over a month ago and he has yet to give me an answer.

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
You are quite right Lutz, my 2010 Sorento KX2 has a mass in service of 2008Kg according to the V5 registration document.

Steve W
in the current range an 85% match depending on the model will be between1496kg to 1612kg and an 80kg weight limit

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
What no-one has so far mentioned is that the new Sorento has a noseweight limit of only 80kg. Therefore based on the Caravan Club's 7% recommendation, this would limit you to towing little more than 1200kg! I spoke with our local main dealer about the change to the noseweight limit and asked him to clarify the situation with Kia. That was well over a month ago and he has yet to give me an answer.
try a disco we have just bought an 09 disco 3 2.7 gs for 2000 pounds less than the price of a new sorrie petrol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts