2018 citroen c4 picasso thp 165 eat6 auto

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Reefgeek,

Someone may be along who has actually towed with the C4, but I do hope that you realise that whether their experience will be relevant will largely depend on what they towed with the car. Ideally you need someone who has towed your exact model of caravan, and that they have loaded and driven it virtually identically, otherwise the information is potentially flawed, as its not comparing apples with apples.

So please bear that in mind if you get any responses.

What I have found out about the car is it has a maximum braked towed load limit of 1600kg, whilst its unladen weight is 1310 (Figures from Parker's) I must comment that the 1600kg does seem quite large for such a vehicle and it would be worth checking the cars weight plate to confirm the cars legal limits.

Car manufactures have to test the car to find the heaviest trailer the car can repeated start on a 12% gradient. It make no reference to how the trailer will tow at speed. The test trailer is small and virtually ideal where as caravans are large and far from ideal trailers. consequently, the UK caravan industry has guidelines to help caravanners avoid poor matches.

In all cases the cars weight specifications must not be exceeded that is law, but the advice is for Novice caravanners to chose a caravan with an MTPLM not exceeding 85% of the cars kerbweight. As experience grows, the industry guidance suggests choosing caravans with an MTPLM not exceeding 100% of the cars kerbweight. I must stress that applying this advice does not guarantee safe or even good towing.

Assuming Parker's figures are correct, then with a kerbweight of only 1310kg, A novice tower should be looking for a caravan with an MTPLM not exceeding 1113kg and only raising it towards 1310kg as experience is gained.

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your detailed reply, I had already researched ( as one should) all the information regarding curbweight,noseweight etc the guidelines on towing limits are well known to me as I am thinking of returning to caravanning after having towed various combinations of car and van for many years. Therein !ie's the problem because I haven't actually bought a van yet so i can't be specific other than. I would be looking for something fairly !lightweight, under 1100kg maximum permitted weight, it is just that I haven't been able to find any info on how my car performs as a tow car in general

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK, thanks for your reply.

I hope someone can offer you the benefit of actual towing experience withe the model. The specifications shown on Parker's web site shows it has the capacity to tow an 1100kg caravan offering respectible power and torque figures. However bring petrol rather than diesel the engine, the power delivery may mean the engine will rev faster and may feel less relaxed. The cars small rear overhang is also good thing which hopefully will help the car keep better control of the caravan.

Good luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the website Towcar.info I have found it gives the best guidance of all the sites. You seem to be thorough in your search for guidance so you will know that no website can be totally accurate but it offers another source of help. I’ve used it for a Volvo XX70 Forester 2.0 petrol and Suoerb diesel. It was remarkably accurate regarding the Forester and after giving the car a spell pulling 1300 kg I decided to sell it. It was a non turbo petrol that loved revs. Yours being turbo should have a better low down torque. .

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for that, have had a look on tow car info which rates thé car as ok to good in most areas..now I have to start thinking about a suitable caravan, I live in France and most french vans are quite basic ( not a big problem)and very expensive compared to British vans ( definitely a problem) on the other hand importing an English van into france can be a bureaucratic nightmare,
Thanks

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
sorry but for circumstances I have no experience towing with this car,however as mentioned on paper it should be ok.
We ordered a new one last year but it took too long being delivered (ordered June,still not delivered December) we had to cancel and bought a different car altogether,(not a Citroen)
Our reasoning was, if this is what pre-sajes is like what would aftersales be like.
We had a Peugeot at the time and one of the coil springs had snapped, our local one man repair shop told us it would take 2 months to get a replacement from Peugeot/Citroen. In the end we got one manufactured locally.This was another reason for cancelling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts