2018 VIP’s

Nov 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi All. Just picked up our 460 VIP. First impressions are favourable. We have a couple of niggles tho. At least 2 of the 13a sockets are useless as they are placed too close to a work surface, ie the lead is in the way. Is there a way to remove the Crome surround and ‘turn’ the actual socket? Preferably with out damaging it.

Regards Myn.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi

Not sure if yours can be moved but in my 480 Corniche the sockets close to the worktop are rotated to the flex is side on.

Kev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the caravan is fresh from a dealer then you should be pointing out the fault to them, and having the discussion with them about how they are going to fix it to make the socket useable. Because as it stands it's not fit for purpose, and that idea breach of contract under the provisions of the Consumer Rights Act.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
If the caravan is fresh from a dealer then you should be pointing out the fault to them, and having the discussion with them about how they are going to fix it to make the socket useable. Because as it stands it's not fit for purpose, and that idea breach of contract under the provisions of the Consumer Rights Act.

I hope this is a non-issue and the dealer can provide a permanent solution. But should you need a temporary work around for using moulded plugs or 'wall wart' transformers, I would use this: http://amzn.eu/9rwX8Sy

Looking at the TV area for the 2018 model (https://goo.gl/q8NtXN) the normally oriented sockets are close to the counter but there is a gap; can a regular 4-way extention lead be used here to accomodate all 3 pin plugs?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if there is a doubt about your rights here. Presumably you did see the model before buying with the sockets in that position, and it could be that you have accepted that design, so that point might not be clear cut.
To me a simple solution might be a two or three way adapter which when plugged in would then let you plug in from the side and on a three way one the top.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you're not too far from the supplying dealers why not simply ask them if they would rotate the sockets through ninety degrees for you.
Failing that, have it done during the first service.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
I am not sure if there is a doubt about your rights here. Presumably you did see the model before buying with the sockets in that position, and it could be that you have accepted that design, so that point might not be clear cut.
To me a simple solution might be a two or three way adapter which when plugged in would then let you plug in from the side and on a three way one the top.

There's a lot to take in when collecting a product like a new caravan or car. A car may have the bakes that you can see through the wheel slots, but you only find out if they actually stop the car when you first try them,

Same with the position of the power sockets. There can be no doubt the position of teh sockets was present at the point of sale, and if it can be demonstrated that a plug cannot be inserted properly becasue of the interference of the power chord, it cannot be disputed its not fit for purpose, through a design or manufacturing fault that left it positioned in this way.

It shouldn't be necessary t threaten to use the CRA, it should be an obvious design fault that the manufacture should be prepared to cover in their warranty, but if not its a classic case for the CRA for a FOC repair by the seller.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Min,
Do you mean the two sockets above the fridge?
They do look close, about an inch from the work surface. That should be enough room? Turning the sockets through 90 or 120 degs is easier enough but on a new unit I’d be asking the dealer to do it just in case ,in the unlikely event, you cause a fire.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would favour the Prof's position, but do think a word of caution is needed, as court decisions can sometimes not go as expected. Having said that assuming all VIPs are made this way, I would think there must be a simple solution to the problem.
Having looked at several Coachman caravans in February I was surprised at what seemed to be silly design flaws in the range, particularly one when the TV aerial came down in the middle of a roof locker making it far less useful than it should be.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In this specific situation, a 13A socket should be located such that any normal BS1363A plug and cable for the maximum current capability for the circuit should be able to be inserted fully and removed by hand and such that the power chord is not unreasonably bent such that it impedes the insertion or removal, or stresses the cable by over flexing it.

I have found this
https://www.practicaldiy.com/electrics/socket-position/socket-height.php

"Where socket outlets are positioned above work surfaces or other obstructions, there needs to be sufficient clearance to minimise risk of damage to the cable etc. Although no distance is defined, a clearance of 15cm below the socket is recommended as a minimum (see below)."

Aug 25, 2006
www.flickr.com
I have a new 2019 VIP 450 and it had the sockets in the way you have found. I have had the dealer turn them 90 to face outward.
It's can be done by flipping of the cover off and rotating the plug inner gubbins. Thats it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts