240/12v fridge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I'm off to France in June fishing without thre caravan but goig to take the bivvy (tent), and was woundering if i take a 240/12v fridge and my 85amp liesure battery, how long the battery will last. the fridge I'm going to borrow hold about 6-8 cans of beer, not that I'm taking beer but a bit of butter to go on the toast would be nice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Moth, not very long is the answer. Most caravan 12v fridges draw about 8amp (can be more) so even with a fully charged battery it will not cool efficiently after about 7-8 hours. I suspect your little fridge will not draw so much - but I doubt it will last more than 12-15 hours.

Has it got a rating plate? If it shows Wattage divide it by 12 to get the current and then divide the result into 85. This will give you the maximum time in hours. Take of 20% and that will be the maximum time of efficient cooling.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sounds like that idea is out of window, I'm fishing with no aminities at all , all I have is hat I bring with me,water toliet the lot, my main problem is butter, for toast. I can do most from a tin or long life milk/ bread.

Years ago 30 to be a bit more accoret, they used to do a fridge that you just put water on the top to keep it cool .

I dont want anything that I need to start up the car , because of the noise when fishing.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Moth, why dont you put the butter in a container and put it in the water whilst fishing thus kepping it cool. Have done this alot but with beer!!! it works a treat and chills the beer very nice.

Kevin H

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Moth, put the cans in a plastic bag with a piece of string and put the whole thing in the water where you're fishing. They won't be quite as cold as a fridge but very refreshing nevertheless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts