25 Ways to Improve Caravan Security

Nov 21, 2019
Visit site
Don't let what happened to us happen to you!

Most caravans are stolen from storage.

With the season coming to an end and many of us putting our beloved caravans to bed for the winter, now is a good time to review your security measures

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I've taken the 'death by a thousand cuts' approach to security - the more the better! No one piece of security is particularly difficult to defeat with the right tool, so the more you have, the more time it takes to cut off.

The article mentions steady locks but offers no opinion: I have used both types of the steady locks on my caravan, which has regular basic steady legs. The Milenco adjustable items which cover the leg nut and then clamp behind. These seem quite good and are easy to fit. The 2 rear steadys pictured on the Milenco webpage, represent my caravan. The 2 front steadys are shrouded by a side-skirt so I purchased one of the Stronghold branded tube-type. This uses a fixed lock receiver and required a hexagonal adaptor to wind up the leg. This is only held on with grub screws so would be easy to pull off; I made the mistake of putting on the lock to tow. When I arrived the lock just came away with the receiver - I was lucky not to lose it. I have not bothered to purchase a second.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would not argue with the security point but the C&CC published details of where thefts occurred from most from their insurance claims records, and it was from your home. Thefts from storage were far more likely from non CASSOA sites and CASSOA sites seemed to be the best bet.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Article although good seems to be out of date on a few things. With most reputable trackers if the battery is removed, the call centre is alerted. We have a Phantom Tracker which alerts us if the battery is disconnected. Also by going Online we can see the location of our caravan. Most new caravans no longer have springs for the blinds.
Some CASSOA storage places will not allow the use of a JSB wheel lock in case they need to move the caravan ina hurry. In addition a PITA to remove when it is sunny never mind when it is raining. We have the Premium secure hitchlock which is not easy to remove. We have thought of the installing the Milenco hand rail, but not for theft as they simply break a window which costs a lot more to repair than the door lock. Same applies to window locks as they will simply smash the window. Police cannot establish ownership of a caravan using any sort of device as there is no national database that they can access. However they can check CRIS numbers for stolen caravans. Registering with CRIS will not prevent a caravan being stolen.
Good to use common sense as the article suggests to prevent theft.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CRiS scheme is operated by the insurance companies, and I am pretty certain that if the police needed to, they could obtain the CRiS data to see if there is a registered owner for any caravan.

Like it or not the Police can obtain permission to interrogate any source of information, though they must have due cause or a statutory right to do so.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
The CRiS scheme is operated by the insurance companies, and I am pretty certain that if the police needed to, they could obtain the CRiS data to see if there is a registered owner for any caravan.

Like it or not the Police can obtain permission to interrogate any source of information, though they must have due cause or a statutory right to do so.

Not like you to get it wrong, CRiS is the Central Registration & Identification Scheme, owned by the NCC. It is the national register of UK manufactured tourers, similar to the DVLA and is recognised by the regulatory bodies, insurance companies and government organisations such as the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and the Department for Transport (DFT).
There is no obligation to insure your caravan or even transfer the CRIS registration to get insurance. CRIS is recognised by insurance companies as a convenient database.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Not like you to get it wrong, CRiS is the Central Registration & Identification Scheme, owned by the NCC. It is the national register of UK manufactured tourers, similar to the DVLA and is recognised by the regulatory bodies, insurance companies and government organisations such as the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and the Department for Transport (DFT).
There is no obligation to insure your caravan or even transfer the CRIS registration to get insurance. CRIS is recognised by insurance companies as a convenient database.

Thank you for the correction about ownership. I was thinking about the impetuous behind the scheme which did receive support from the caravan manufacturers, the insurance industry and the police.

I never suggested that the scheme was infallible. It is dependant on owners keeping the scheme updated about changes of ownership, address and status for its accuracy. Despite its shortcomings, it is still a resource the police can call on to help identify ownership of caravans they are investigating.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Buckman said:

Thank you for the correction about ownership. I was thinking about the impetuous behind the scheme which did receive support from the caravan manufacturers, the insurance industry and the police.

I never suggested that the scheme was infallible. It is dependant on owners keeping the scheme updated about changes of ownership, address and status for its accuracy. Despite its shortcomings, it is still a resource the police can call on to help identify ownership of caravans they are investigating.

Absolutely agree with you regarding keeping the scheme up to date. Sadly many owner's who spend thousands buying a second hand unit do not want to spend the extra £15 to register the caravan in their name. Weird!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Weird?

why?, when CRiS does not offer any additional protection against having a caravan stolen, and recovery seems to be almost a thing of the past, and even if its is recovered do you really want it when its been violated or vandalised.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Weird?

why?, when CRiS does not offer any additional protection against having a caravan stolen, and recovery seems to be almost a thing of the past, and even if its is recovered do you really want it when its been violated or vandalised.

Very weird saving £15 by not registering your pride and joy. As there is no obligation to insure a caravan would you be happy to walk away if the police returned it to you? Surely it is no different to buying a second hand caravan? If the insurance company decide that you must take back the caravan you have no choice. I would want the police to catch the thieves.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Your insurance may not cover you if the caravan is not registered so do be aware of that. Not insuring is a serious risk as you lose the liability cover and then what happens if you have a fire and damage other valuable caravans or motor homes.
The point about not wanting it back depends largely on how quickly it is recovered and if it has been used in the interim. In many cases there will be little or no damage so it should not be a problem.

Nov 21, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the info on steady locks. I mentioned them but could offer no opinion because I have not yet used them!
I agree - the more the merrier with security!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our Caravan storage is a non Cassoa but Security i would say is brilliant its a Garden Centre at the front that got some big Black Gates a Keypad then a Barrier then you drive through the carpark and you can see the security that in place (cctv cameras & System) then you come to another Barrier (Keypad), then you at the back of the garden centre and to the third Barrier Keypad, Security Bolt, Caravan Storage, Hard Standing, High Security Fencing, Cameras, Wash Down Facilities, (Touch wood nothing been stolen so far ) Caravan Dealer Alarm CRIS Registered Maypole MP 956 Hitch Lock and two Wheel clamps Milenco Security Handrail :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Leg locks do work to some extent, but most wheel clamps are far more secure. The advantage of them is probably that thieves will not have seen them when checking out a possible target and may not have brought anything to deal with them but at least they delay them further and would be very unpleasant to deal with on a wet day.
They might also mean a different caravan with less security was targeted if seen before they decided on yours. They should be regarded as an additional defence rather than a first line one.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There a touring caravan near us using Leg Locks also a Wheelclamp but they have a silent alarm in the van if anyone goes near it was good job i was awake (That would have been Stolen) :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There a touring caravan near us using Leg Locks also a Wheelclamp but they have a silent alarm in the van if anyone goes near it was good job i was awake (That would have been Stolen) :D
In addition to Cassoa storage, we ALKO Secure wheel clamps, ALKO Secure hitchlock which is nearly impossible to remove and a Phantom Tracker plus alarm. Any one interfering with caravan the alarm sounds and Phantom Tracker call centre is notified straight away.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In addition to Cassoa storage, we ALKO Secure wheel clamps, ALKO Secure hitchlock which is nearly impossible to remove and a Phantom Tracker plus alarm. Any one interfering with caravan the alarm sounds and Phantom Tracker call centre is notified straight away.
Actually when my caravan was in for a service there was a twin Axle that had been stolen from storage with all the bells and whistles on . This had a Phanton tracker on, wheel clamps and hitchlock they did not go into the caravan until they got to the site (that what trigger the alarm) they had a shock when the police turn up they were told to get out it had some damage on the outside and in

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We was told when we put our caravan in Storage don"t shut the blinds (they can lose there tension)for another reason if anyone looking there can see there nothing in . we have done that now for about 25 years so far our caravans have been safe

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prevention is always better cure!

Preventing theft or loss is always going to be preferable to trying to recover stolen or damaged property or making claims.

Thieves are very lazy, and they will always take the easiest and quickest approach to obtain their ill gotten gains. So there are two strategies that can make a difference. First is to have an undesirable product such that it won't attract them, and secondly to put as many devices and strategies between your pride and joy and the low life who may want it.

The storage solution you choose can have a large part to play, certainly those that put significant physical barriers to the removal or those that might detect illegal activity and alert the authorities may help.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Prevention is always better cure!

Preventing theft or loss is always going to be preferable to trying to recover stolen or damaged property or making claims.

Thieves are very lazy, and they will always take the easiest and quickest approach to obtain their ill gotten gains. So there are two strategies that can make a difference. First is to have an undesirable product such that it won't attract them, and secondly to put as many devices and strategies between your pride and joy and the low life who may want it.

The storage solution you choose can have a large part to play, certainly those that put significant physical barriers to the removal or those that might detect illegal activity and alert the authorities may help.
Actually Prof JohnL i would agree Prevention is always better cure and everything helps to keep your Pride and Joy Safe ....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually when my caravan was in for a service there was a twin Axle that had been stolen from storage with all the bells and whistles on . This had a Phanton tracker on, wheel clamps and hitchlock they did not go into the caravan until they got to the site (that what trigger the alarm) they had a shock when the police turn up they were told to get out it had some damage on the outside and in
Question is "was the tracker a Phantom Tracker and was it switched on as the moment the caravan is moved the Tracker activates. The caravan probably had the normal Tracker not supplied by Phantom and that tracker is reactive and not Proactive like the Phantom Tracker.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Question is "was the tracker a Phantom Tracker and was it switched on as the moment the caravan is moved the Tracker activates. The caravan probably had the normal Tracker not supplied by Phantom and that tracker is reactive and not Proactive like the Phantom Tracker.
Well a caravan dealer should know what tracker was on the caravan
99% of Stolen Vehicles fitted with a Phantom Tracking system are recovered in less than 70 minutes 85% of these Recoveries catch the thief en-route to there destination
Are Caravan Trackers worth it The Tracker does improve the recovery rate but it is not Foolproof .. This was all online ..

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well a caravan dealer should know what tracker was on the caravan
99% of Stolen Vehicles fitted with a Phantom Tracking system are recovered in less than 70 minutes 85% of these Recoveries catch the thief en-route to there destination
Are Caravan Trackers worth it The Tracker does improve the recovery rate but it is not Foolproof ..
I was very surprised at the % figure you quoted being recovered in less than 70Min, and 85% being found in the possession of the criminals. These seem an incredible clear up rates especially as we have traditionally told caravan theft is a low priority for police time. Can you tell me where you found that information?

I have tried to verify the figures you have given, but after half an hour of looking all I could find was the fasted recovery of 13Min and recovery times on average being 70Min with percentages quoted. Crucially It didn't say how many caravans were not recovered!

I am certain the use of a GPS tracker is a good idea, but it's only effective after the caravan has been stolen. It might be effective to place notices on the caravan to say a tracker is fitted, but that might backfire as it would alert the would be thieves to use some means of blocking or even locating the tracker and disabling it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i also look on the you tube and a caravan had a phantom tacker and it got stolen from Glossop Caravan the woman owner just kick the hitch lock and wheelclamp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts