3 Days to go

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We are off to France for 4 weeks and would like some advise on alternative routes, we are travelling in Eurotunnel at 5.20 and travelling down to Limoges. I normally go around Paris and down but want to know if its worth trying other routes to avoid large toll bills. ( not avoiding alltogether but just a cheaper route.

Thanks for any ideas.

Simon

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Posted elsewhere, but copied and repeated here:
Yes, absolutely loads cheaper - in fact possible to get to Limoges without tolls at all - we did last year!
Calais, to Boulogne, off the autoroute at Boulogne (though you could stay on if you don't mind some tolls), and on to the D901 which takes you to Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, to Orleans (OK small toll of around 3 euros to get around Orleans but you could go on at junction 12 and pay a bit more) then Orleans to Vierzon on the N154 (or pay a toll if you want to and stay on the A10), and then Chateauroux, Limoges on the free A20. We managed an overnight at Vatan, between Vierzon and Chateauroux - but could have gone further if we'd had an earlier start, and stopped later - we arrived there around 3.00 pm according to our photographs!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
SimonB said:
Thanks Val I shall try that way and see how it goes, if I am stuck in traffic for 12hours your in trouble!! Thanks Simon
The only traffic hold-up is likely to be as you come to the junction of the N154 with the N12, just north of Dreux - so try to time this for when the HGV drivers are off the road having their lunch (12 to 2.00 pm)! Rouen is often said to be a problem, but we stick to the eastern bank of the Seine, going off after the La Grandmere Tunnel, and never have any problems.
Have a good trip!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts