35mph in a 50mph zone !

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your input John, I did exactly as you described. He was going so slow that I could quickly and easily overtake him, without breaking the speed limit.

In my opinion he was being inconsiderate and causing frustration by his driving. Yes, he may have been inexperienced, but from my view as I passed he looked very relaxed.

It could be that as I am very wary of holding people up whilst towing, that it frustrated, embarassed, annoyed ( choose a word ) me more.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
you still have to make reasonable progress up to the speed limit to pass your driving test and failure to get up to the speed limit with reasonable promptness is a cause for failure.The lorry point is very fair and more lorries have a sticker about speed limits which I think is very helpful especially as you can lose your licence and your livelyhood so easily.I still think any caravanner should try to keep near the legal limit to minimise the bad press we get or pull over and clear the back log and set off again,saying its my privilige to go as slow as I like just causes frustration and accidents

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
you still have to make reasonable progress up to the speed limit to pass your driving test and failure to get up to the speed limit with reasonable promptness is a cause for failure.The lorry point is very fair and more lorries have a sticker about speed limits which I think is very helpful especially as you can lose your licence and your livelyhood so easily.I still think any caravanner should try to keep near the legal limit to minimise the bad press we get or pull over and clear the back log and set off again,saying its my privilige to go as slow as I like just causes frustration and accidents
I agree with the comments you people are making.

I think that some of the problem also lies with inaccurately

calibrated speedo's - the thing that tells you how fast ur going,not the sports wear! (I'm just pre-empting the sarcasm!)

It seems to me that a lot of cars have speedometers that are usually calibrated on the slow side, in the region of 3-5mph.

Follow cars in a speed monitored section of a motorway and see how many do 43 - 45 mph in a 50 limit. This is why car drivers accuse truck drivers of exceeding 56mph .

If I check my car speedo against a sat-nav,it frequently reads 3 - 5mph faster than indicated by the sattelite.

Most truck drivers will observe that trucks limited to 56mph do exactly that.OK, there will be deviations due to tyre wear, but there's very little to choose between the majority.

However, all said and done,if you use your mirrors properly,you should be well aware if you're casuing a tailback, if you don't like receiving abuse or other motorists doing erratic manouevres,you pull over and let them get by.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I have to let you people into this.

I get annoyed at car drivers who toddle down a motorway at 50mph hoding everything up and then accelerate like mad,when you try and overtake.Drives me nuts!

I have come across a partial answer at night. I have a high power search light, which is directed in the rear view mirror of the miscreant for a second or two. Which usually gees them up like hell!

Sadly illegal,but so,so satisfying! On the other hand,it probably keeps the dozy buggers from falling asleep at the wheel. I may be doing my bit for humanity ? lol.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
maybe it was someone from "top gear".....we all know that program hates us caravaners and maybe its there way of getting us more bad publicity,maybe even there are more of them out there because im sure that ive been behind some caravaner just like that.............or am i being paranoid?

nurse is it time for my pills again?

lol

hgv dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts