3rd NEW FRONT PANEL

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
By now my 2015 Lunar Ariva (less than 2 years old) will be back at the Lunar factory having the entire front panel replaced for the second time. Yes, that's correct. 3 panels in less than 2 years due to cracks appearing in the fiberglass. Very off putting. I suspect that Lunar have gone too far with weight reduction. The chassis on my present Ariva. does not appear to be as deep or robust as on my previous two Arivas. Lunar have managed to reduce the Unladen weight by 40 kgs in spite of fitting a microwave in this model. Could that be causing flexing whilst being towed ?? Hope I get the 'van back for my summer Hols. :eek:hmy:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cracked front panels do seem to have been a problem over the last few years although Lunar do not seem to have been very high on the list. I do wonder though if there is anything else wrong with the build as this should not be happening and I think it needs investigating as I suspect a problem with the chassis or the body alignment. I cannot see that you have had three faulty front panels and I would be asking Lunar to check out other possibilities. You might also point out to them that if this does not cure it then you will be taking legal advice as to your rights.
There is a trend to reducing weight which could be part of the problem but I doubt it is the chassis design. This is an ALKO model and will appear on several other makes and does not look to be causing the problem you mention.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Jeff_Lon said:
I suspect that Lunar have gone too far with weight reduction.
If so, it is yet another example of obsession with trying to be green; or manufacturers saving their costs under the guise of being green. Robustness used to be a selling point, but now minimalism and flimsy is the selling point. How long before people get fed up with it?

Any ecological saving from making something thinner and lighter can be wiped out many times over by the need to repair and/or replace - with the material and energy (to say nothing of time) involved. But as the hipsters who drive this trend only keep stuff for a year or two before they toss it out* and replace with a fashion upgrade, they never run into the longer term issues.

*They are quite happy tossing stuff into the bin - it's labelled "Recycling".

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
HI. I tow with the latest model KIA Sportage, having towed the previous two Arivas with the previous model Sportage----no problems with cracks on their front panels. I am told that the front panels for Lunar and Elddis are now made in Poland due to the original UK manufacturer going out of business. Could there be a quality problem perhaps ?? Thanks for your reply

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jeff
Are they cracks or surface grazes/ crazes?
ABS panels did crack usually caused by over stressing of the fixings. Whilst Lunar are now replacing the panel for the third time don't forget your contract is with the Dealer. It is the dealer who you need to put on notice.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dustydog. They are proper cracks.On the first panel the crack eventually spread to about 100 mms long and 3 mms wide---it was where the gas strut on the front locker door attached to the panel on the nearside only---with further cracks starting from the hinge bracket above. The cracks on the present panel are in the same places but not yet as pronounced as on the original panel---but they do 'grow' with travelling. The dealer replaced the first panel and made a damn good job of it----however I suspect from conversations between the dealer and a Lunar rep that I may not be the only Lunar (Ariva ?) owner with this problem.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dustydog. They are proper cracks.On the first panel the crack eventually spread to about 100 mms long and 3 mms wide---it was where the gas strut on the front locker door attached to the panel on the nearside only---with further cracks starting from the hinge bracket above. The cracks on the present panel are in the same places but not yet as pronounced as on the original panel---but they do 'grow' with travelling. The dealer replaced the first panel and made a damn good job of it----however I suspect from conversations between the dealer and a Lunar rep that I may not be the only Lunar (Ariva ?) owner with this problem.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Jeff_Lon said:
3 panels in less than 2 years due to cracks appearing in the fiberglass.

I think you'll find it is plastic not fibreglass.

Jeff_Lon said:
it was where the gas strut on the front locker door attached to the panel on the nearside only

The front on my Lunar Conquest (dealer-special Quasar) was replaced last year for exactly the same problem, work carried out by our local non-Lunar dealer, but AWS. When completed there appeared to be a mod scheme behind the panel comprising thick aluminium angle sections bonded to the plastic to strengthen the mounting point. I believe the original problem was the gas strut fixing bolts rusting and enlarging the mounting hole with the enlarged diameter due to the rust build up, thus cracking the hole. Unfortunately the repairer just replaced the original rusty screws. :(

The rear panel (which is actually fibreglass) was also repaired at the same time due to the gel coat lifting from the base coat on an external moulding. Can't see the repair though. :)

Edit - Lunar could have saved expensive warranty work by using rust proof bolts in the first place.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi WC. Those thick aluminium plates were there on my first and second panels----I pick up my 'van (back from the Lunar factory)tomorrow. Fingers crossed ??

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi. That Jeep was my faithful 1944 Willys---traveled all over the Continent in the 1960s from Northern Spain and the Italian Dolomites right up to Northern Norway ---in the snow in July. Pig sick that I sold it. They are now worth £19,500----and I found out the other day that it is still registered with DVLA. Would love to see it again.

TRENDING THREADS