3Way Fridge issues on 12 volt when traveling

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
Out using the camper recently and while driving the 12volt system was on and chilling the fridge. when we noticed the 12volt
meter for leisure batteries was indicating a massive drain on the batteries. This was isolated to the 3 way Fridge.

System is Merc Sprinter 2014 , Sterling 60 Amp Battery 2 Battery charger, and 3 No 75 Amp Batteries connected via Copper Bus Bars

All the wiring seems fine now ive checked it but something within the Fridge is draining the system massively and if left on will trip the B 2 B charger overload.
Fridge works perfectly on gas and 240 volt .
Clearly this must be pretty close a dead short without being there totally as the drain rate to the batteries when driving is immense
and trips the overload on the B 2 B charger which is fine.

Any ideas please.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can you tell us the size of the current draw? For most three way fridges it should not really exceed 10A (120W) and more typically about 8 to 10A.

But also most leisure vehicles (motorhomes and caravans) should have a habitation relay to prevent the fridge from using 12V unless the engine is running and providing 12V power.

If you fridge is drawing a large current when the engine is turned off, then something is amiss with your van or caravans wiring.

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
Can you tell us the size of the current draw? For most three way fridges it should not really exceed 10A (120W) and more typically about 8 to 10A.

But also most leisure vehicles (motorhomes and caravans) should have a habitation relay to prevent the fridge from using 12V unless the engine is running and providing 12V power.

If you fridge is drawing a large current when the engine is turned off, then something is amiss with your van or caravans wiring.
No never use fridge on 12 volt unless engine is running when the B2B charger runs as required to maintain Leisure batteries, the issue only occurred when I was traveling in Sprinter and only started to happen last week when traveling home from Devon. It was working as it has for the last 4 years and then suddenly we noticed a drain on the Leisure batteries Volt/percentage meter. Not sure yet what current the discharge draw is but will check tomorrow with a meter. Once I have checked a few things on the wiring with engine running I will report back as I am in need of finding what exactly is happening

TRENDING THREADS