406 Estate to a Freelander?

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi...Tow an Elddis Firestorm 534 with a 406 estate which seems to struggle a bit, so thinking of changing to a Freelander as these seem to be a popular towcar...good idea?

Thanks,

Dave.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dave

We had a 406 which run on duel fuel and we pulled are Elddis Typhoon GT, we found it good on pulling even on gas! Pulling off from roundabouts and jucntions were fine, however up hills was a bit of a strugle and we had to turn to fuel.

We upgraded the van to a Bailey Burgundy series 6 and at the same time upgrade the car to a Freelander this was only because we thought with the extra weight of the new van it would struggle more.

The Freelander is a Diesel and we did not consider petrol because of the issues they have with them.

Hope this helps!

Allyson

We find the Freelander is good for towing,

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have have changed to a landrover freelander TD4 auto. Its a very nice tow car there small as 4x4 go which is geat for us. I have a 2005 with the BMW engine and has the larger fly-wheel which is great for towing. We looked around for a long time trying to make our minds up on a good tow car and one which would not beak the bank. Ihave had the car for 6 months now and no problems with i at all.

The only thing i would say we went for diesel because the govoment said it was green and the way to go. Now they have had a change of mind diesel fuel is higher in price then petrol and now there thinking of putting the road tax up through the roof on diesel cars.

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have just changed my car from a SAAB 2.2 TDI to a LR Freelander TD4. A tad more in road tax and a tad less in insurance. Much greater towing capacity and peace of mind, with a better stability of the outfit.

Having the extra torque and the knowledge that going onto a field or Cl, with wet grass etc. is not going to be a problem is increasing our enjoyment of the hobby.

The downside is a higher fuel consumption driving solo (37-38 mpg average throughout the range) and 25+ (depending on weight of right shoe)with the 'van on. Okay, the FL is not my daily commute motor, but it is used every weekend, due to the comfort and ride quality.

SWMBO and I loved the SAAB and enjoyed driving all the miles we did in it. However, for the the first time we are acting like the couple in the car advert, where they are fighting to get behind the wheel!

You could do what I did, go to a dealership and get a test drive in one of their used motors, that way way you are not swayed by the "New Car" factor.

Good luck.

ctj

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
we have a 1.8 petrol freelander and a avondale grampian the van is 23 1/2 ft we have just retuned from a wkend away in bala we were towing with a 1800 mondeo but what a difference the freelander just flew with the van it was a total pleasure to tow with even on the hills it just flew up them! if you do go for a petrol one make sure it has had an uprated headgasket and remote thermostat fitted then you should have no probs whatsoever i would defo recommened the freelander

May 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a 406 diesel est and an Abbey (MTPLM 1230kg). We usually fly on level motorways in top gear against light headwinds and up gentle slopes (depending, I think, on which brand of diesel I use - anybody else have such thoughts?). I would guess that it would struggle with a Firestorm (MTPLM 1414kg?).

I've now bought an Arizona (1500kg MTPLM) and the old outfit has to go. My towcar choices hover between the diesel CRV and the diesel Freelander 2. I suspect the CRV might find 1500kg a bit of a struggle but it's cheaper (and more reliable?) than the Freelander. The F2 might not notice the weight so much. I'll probably go for the F2 knowing it's more likely to give me peace of mind.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
we have a 1.8 petrol freelander and a avondale grampian the van is 23 1/2 ft we have just retuned from a wkend away in bala we were towing with a 1800 mondeo but what a difference the freelander just flew with the van it was a total pleasure to tow with even on the hills it just flew up them! if you do go for a petrol one make sure it has had an uprated headgasket and remote thermostat fitted then you should have no probs whatsoever i would defo recommened the freelander
We just got rid of our 1.8 petrol Freelander in favour of a 2.TDCI mondeo as it was completely gutless (you'll see my previous posts about it somewhere around here). 25mph up hill in second with a Ace Prestige 4 berth single axle was not fun in the Freelander, we found it a chore to drive anywhere when towing hence getting rid.

I'm sure the TD4 would perform better but certainly from experience wouldn't recommend the petrol Freebie at all

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Brian,

Ive had my F2 for nearly 2 1/2 years now, dont want to tempt fate but touch wood wonderful towcar.
Thanks for all the comments....have recently bought a 2002 td4 Freelander and have had a go towing with it this weekend...what a difference...!! Thanks again..

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts