Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Anyone catch the news on the radio this morning, I just turned it on at the end of a feature and it was about 4x4's and tax. Not sure if it was Livingstone and histax or if it meant the whole country. Did anyone else catch it and fill me in?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Orac,

Here's the link I think you're after. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3739495.stm

Look at the comments below the item. The only supporters of 4x4s are from the states. The "Anti's" as people like to call the concerned definatly outnumber the supporters.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Orac,

Here's the link I think you're after. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3739495.stm

Look at the comments below the item. The only supporters of 4x4s are from the states. The "Anti's" as people like to call the concerned definatly outnumber the supporters.
Ken Livingstone, now there's a man we all listen to,

from the comfort of our padded cells.

If Mr Livingstone is the best you can come up with, great, we win!!!

Perhaps a lot of the support is from outside the UK in that article, does that mean they are wrong? Outnumber the pro 4x4's? Please lets stick to facts, how do you know that all comments were published?

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Pete

That link is for a story in May 2004. So any news from it will have moved on in both directions now.

The problem with higher tax for 4x4 is that it will make the problem worse in towns not better. We live in a materialistic world and as such many see the fact that what they drive as a "what I am worth" statement. If tax is higher for a certain kind of vehicle then these people will buy more of them to make a statement.

This is an honest answer - To me, it will not matter as I need the car and the money is not a big issue. However, for a lot of people who need to drive 4x4's for business, Towing or for access to the countryside, they will be hit hard. The Chelsea tractor set will just see it as a hike in the "status" of their car.

Some people have suggested that a "need" based tax be put into place, again this would be no use in controlling the real issue as the people who use them for the 100m school run will just buy a caravan and have it stored. (or use another one of the many loop holes that will become apparent)

What is really needed is a good set of realistic laws and benefits.

Suggestions would be -

you must fit mirrors to make all sides of the vehicle visible while reversing as they do in hong kong

Massive tax cuts on greener fuels (this helps people who need it and sends a message of "I cannot afford the fuel" to the snobs friends thus reducing there perceived value

Councils and landowners made to maintain their rights of way at an agreed level. This will reduce damage in the countryside and give real guidelines on the use of vehicles off road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Orac,

The point about the states is that their countryside is very different to ours. Less roads per square mile etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Steve

Even then dear old Ken actually stated that he thought 4x4 in London were a bad idea - He had no problem with them being used outside of London.

I often visit clients in town and I love it! If I borrow the 110 from the farm I can use the bus lanes as it is designated a "bus" as it has 12 seats (Hell of a people carrier!) but in the main I use the Range Rover as it runs on LPG and therefore I get a free Congestion charge ticket.

Even Ken Livingstone said on "London Tonite" that he had no problem with familied that had to choose just one vehicle that had to provide a dual role - i.e. tripe to the country as well as the comute/school run.

Sorry Stinky - you need more accurate and up to date data.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may not like this answer. Yes 4x4 should pay more road tax after all they bigger and heavier than cars!!!

I was told if you can't pay the fuel and ins, don't buy the car.....

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
I have a compact 4x4 and agree with Ken (although I dont normally) that 4x4's have no place on the streets of London.

But as soon as he bans or taxes my X-trail for been inside london (or other cities do the same) I'll be taking things further as will many people. Ill make sure that a Mondeo Estate pays more than me based on the fact its longer, wider and less economical (2.0L petrol version) and emits more co2.

I chose the X-trail as Im a contractor to a telecoms company. Some of the time I have use of a Transit van (which I pay for fuel for) so sometimes I use the x-trail for any hillside jobs etc as its more economical too.

Any rules to limit there use/purchase will always have loopholes. Look at all the people choosing double-cab pick ups instead of company cars as they only attract taxable benefit of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

This is not a dig at 4x4 drivers ,why o why cant we bring in a system that goes on the bigger the vehicle the more road tax you pay It works fine on the Isle Of Man ( and yes i know its it only small island ).But if you drive a 950 cc mini why should you pay the same as a 3.5 litre Range Rover .I also know ther are conessions for greener engines .Or i have i just stirred up a hornets nest . Ben

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ben - Forgive my bluntness but havnt you forgot about the actual usage of the Road. My Range Rover is used on the odd occaision - towing, recovering an injurred annimal or whatever.

Milage probably no more than 6000 miles pa.

So why should I pay more Road Tax than a Mondeo (about the same road "footprint" that does 30,000 miles a year?

My suggestion is to scrap Road Tax altogether and go for a petrol or even a Road Toll Tax. That way we will all pay for the road usage actually used. Anything else cannot possibly be a fair tax based upon the times a vehicle uses the road.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks you lot ................... for nothing at all. I only asked if soemone had caught the news about 4x4 and tax I didn't ask for a debate about it!

Once again did anyone catch the news about 4x4's and tax and WHAT WAS IT ABOUT?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
get your facts right marie,some 4x4's are not heavier than a lot of cars,and some cars are a lot less efficient and enviromently freindly than 4x4's.someone else jumping on the bandwagon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts