5 berth van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
any views on best layout for 2 adults plus 3 growing children - conventional 5 berth with single over double at rear now proving impractical.

Looking at Bailey with 3 offside bunks. any othere suggestions greatfully received.

May 1, 2007
Visit site
We bought the Swift Charisma 565 { 2009} - 6 berth with triple side bunks , children have their own seated area that partitions off!

How old are your kids?

The bottom bunk is a bit of a squash, we use it for storage.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I would say that you should look at 6 birth vans (as long as your car is big enough) as it seems that with the exception of 2 births, usually the last birth in most vans is really only suitable for occasional use (by someone small). My Ranger 510/4 is great for 3, but to sleep 4 you have to assemble the upper side dinette bunk and I really would not want anyone older (heavier) than a 10 year old in it.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We also have 3 kids. We started off with a 5 berth, twin dinette with bunk above at the back. We changed to a 6 berth 3 years ago, we have bunks at the back, a side dinette which converts to 2 bunks and dinette at the front which can be used as 2 singles (hubby is 6 foot) or a double. Really pleased with the practicality of our 6 berth, kids also love the van and with ours they have a shelf each in a cupboard for games toys etc. Our kids are 10,11,12 and tall for their ages.

Hope this helps

Annette

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
One point to remember is that in a open plan 6 birth van with a small side washroom, there is nowhere private to get changed. The newer style ones with a rear bedroom rather than bunks across the back of the van at least give you somewhere to get dressed!!

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
ian how old the kids?.

if you are looking at the bailey then i do suggest print off the bailey dealers list for the uk first. ring every dealer in the uk and get the best deal.

the good thing about a bailey is you can get warrenty work and servicing at most bailey dealers and they also have service centres. you dont have to go back to the dealer you bought it from.

haggle haggle haggle i did and the best deal i got was from chipping sodbury in gloucestershire. they dont charge delivery charge so you save

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
we've got the Coachman Amara 560/6 which suits the 3 of us nicely, we are however looking to change to the twin axle 6 berth (640/6)as the top bunk is less shut in and to return to the end washroom as we are never on sites with facilities.

The triple bunk layout is okay but not as good as it could be for under bunk storage and the three bunks are short on space in the way of head room. Coachman have improved on this design with the same layout but with a cantilever side bunk over the rear dinette and only two bunks fixed, although I personally don't like the layout I do think it is better than the triple bunk and quite useable for 5. (570/6)

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
we've got the Coachman Amara 560/6 which suits the 3 of us nicely, we are however looking to change to the twin axle 6 berth (640/6)as the top bunk is less shut in and to return to the end washroom as we are never on sites with facilities.

The triple bunk layout is okay but not as good as it could be for under bunk storage and the three bunks are short on space in the way of head room. Coachman have improved on this design with the same layout but with a cantilever side bunk over the rear dinette and only two bunks fixed, although I personally don't like the layout I do think it is better than the triple bunk and quite useable for 5. (570/6)
Martin, we have the Amara 560/6 also, and thought we would replace it now before it reaches its third birthday, but are struggling to find a better layout. We can't fit a twin axle on the drive, and though we really love the open feel of our Amara (no corridor effect middle) we would love the separate shower that the new 570/6 has. We thought we should perhaps buy a newer 560/6 and forsake the shower but I think Coachman are possibly dropping this from their 2010 range? The trouble with having a Coachman (after a Sprite, Compass Rallye and Bailey Pageant) is that you can't imagine going back to anything else. The quality is exceptional, so we are limited in choice!!

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
Martin, we have the Amara 560/6 also, and thought we would replace it now before it reaches its third birthday, but are struggling to find a better layout. We can't fit a twin axle on the drive, and though we really love the open feel of our Amara (no corridor effect middle) we would love the separate shower that the new 570/6 has. We thought we should perhaps buy a newer 560/6 and forsake the shower but I think Coachman are possibly dropping this from their 2010 range? The trouble with having a Coachman (after a Sprite, Compass Rallye and Bailey Pageant) is that you can't imagine going back to anything else. The quality is exceptional, so we are limited in choice!!

May 18, 2007
Visit site
We too have the 560/6 and we love it.We had the 5 berth Coachman before but having had a second child we wanted permanent bunks and somewhere for the eldest to play.

We have been looking at the new 570/6 model due to the wife liking the layout = the kids having their own area.The 570 has proved to be popular model this year as you can't find one anywhere !!

Personally I would love the 640/6 model with end bathroom but have limited room on the drive.

Once you have had a Coachman you never want anything else because of the quality of the vans and exclusivity!!

Up the Coachmans!!!!!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Went to Lawns sat and sun. They are not dropping it yet but the 570 was selling very well so they may drop it next year. The 570 is better than similar layouts of other vans especially the ghastly 3 bunks! but you do loose the garage door which we use for chairs and bike. The quality of everything else at the show was laughable, okay if you are going to change every year but really poor compared to the coachman. Our daughter no longer likes the bunk as too shut in so we are toying between the VIP 520 as big enough for 3 but where does the bike go and the Lazer, just fits on the drive but may need to look at the gates!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We have an Adria Altea 542 bought new in 2007. It is a 5 berth with a rear compartment containing a single dinette which converts into a single bed and fixed bunks. The bunks are large enough and have sufficient headroom for an adult. The newer triple bunks seem very small and may not be suitable for your children as they grow. Our children are heading into their teenage years and the van is a great size. Washroom is very small but sufficient! Someone mentioned privacy issues and our ever self conscious teenage daughter finds the rear area when screened off is great for privacy.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
We bought the Abbey Vogue 650 (2009)6 berth with twin bunks to the rear whcih can be set up in different ways, side bathroom with separate shower, it's got plenty of room, the rear can be shut off to use as a changing room, although I find the bathroom is adequate.

It has an end dinette so the kids can play colour or just chill out. It was actually the kids who persuaded us to buy it, they love it.

Unfortunately Swift stopped making them but these below have the same layout.

I used caravanfinder website to look at different layouts before spending hours driving to different dealers.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Swift Charisma 650 (2008), Coachman Laser 655 (2009), Lunar Delta TL (2009),

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Following on from Dean's comment the Adria with the bunks and single dinette provides large beds even for adults. The triple bunks seem to be quite narrow and therefore probably small in the long run.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have just changed from Bailey Ranger 500/5 to Bailey Ranger GT60 620/6 - Twin axle but relatively light 1566 MTPL and has 3 large single beds for kids and a very comfortable fixed double for the adults.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts