5 cats on holiday in caravan with us

May 24, 2014
Visit site
This is our first trip in a caravan for me and my wife, we are taking our 5 cats with us as they are part of our family . It is also cheaper than putting them in a chattery . Looking forward to it.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
We were just curious about how you got on with your first trip with the cats? If you have any photos you could share of the cats on holiday we'd love to see them. Think it'd be great to run in the magazine as part of the 'Your photos' section.
All the best, Stacie

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Im so glad I found this topic, Im looking to take my cat but im not sure if he is going to be ok traveling. Do you have any advice or anything I need to be prepared for?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously trashed the caravan!!!

Would like to know the outcome. I have two cats and have thought about taking them with me on holiday.

Any other caravanners had experiences taking their cats with them. i.e. do you keep them confined to the caravan/awning or let them roam freely.

Ian

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I took our cat with us just the once. we left him in the van when we went for a meal. On our return we found he had managed to open a window I had not secured properly & got out .6 hours of heartache & searching in pitch dark we finally coaxed him home .He was in a terrible state clammy & he hung onto my wife for grim death. Never Never again

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Caravan-rookie12 said:
This is our first trip in a caravan for me and my wife, we are taking our 5 cats with us as they are part of our family . It is also cheaper than putting them in a chattery . Looking forward to it.

Hi Caravan-rookie. Yes I can concur with the cattery expenses - as we have three cats albeit only one has been 'Have Cat' will travel in the past. He absolutely loved it but escaped his harness and stake and went walkabout on Anglesey at Cae Mawr. He returned several hours later but did not want his evening meal !!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have been mulling over the idea of taking our remaining 3cats to La Manga del Mar Menor for some shared Winter Sun because of the horrendous costs of boarding. I am certain that they would all round benefit from not being housed in a cattery for 12 weeks whilst we are away.

A large hinged and fully collapsible run with covered area was used many years ago when I took a pair of Cavies (Guinea Pigs) to Hoddum Castle,Dumfries & Galloway. Something similar might be with looking into for cats that like the fresh air but need to be contained.
I found that the product called Feliway to be invaluable when we moved to Ellington,Northumberland with 4cats from UpHolland,West Lancashire. They were so calm,relaxed and quiet I thought that I was transporting dead cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
This is Amber, waiting for her breakfast :)

IMAG1068.jpg

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Good morning SmnByt,
Thanks for sharing this delightful photo, your cat is gorgeous.
Would you mind if we used this in the next issue as part of the 'Your photos' section? If so would you mind emailing me a words about your cat, how long you've been taking him away, if he enjoys it etc. Just 50 or so words would be great. my email is stacie@practicalcaravan.com
Many thanks, Stacie

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting back to me. If you could also attach the photo to the email as well it'd be a great help. I'd particularly like to use the one of your cat inside the caravan. Thanks again

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, My Wife and I have always taken our Cats with us on Holidays in the UK :) . We started off in a "very" large tent back in 2002 and have since progressed to a puck120GT. Sadley two of our Cats have passed away due to old age :( , they absolutely loved going for walks on their leads. Now we have Keira we've had her from a kitten and she's 2 1/2 now, getting on well with her lead and always travels with us; most recently we travelled to Scotland from Kent and back without any issues. While in the car she is held secure on her harness and lead. We found with all our Cats while travelling they don't like to be caged up; they like to see out the windows (much to the amusement of fellow drivers). When she first started to travel she would throw up with in the first 15 minuets of the journey :sick: :sick: and then be fine for the rest of it ;) , but not now. Now she's very good! :silly: When we arrive at a site she is always the last to come out of the car because once the awning and van are set up this is what she is familiar with. She is kept in a large locked cage at night in the awaning due to the size of the puck :blink: ,to date not had a problem with this. I still find it hard even now because we have to ask sites if it's ok to bring our Cat when she is controlled in this manner. I recently even had a site refuse my booking even before they knew we were touring. I can understand if i was going to book a static van; but this is our own van. :woohoo: I suppose we could smuggle her in :whistle: , but we our proud of our Cat and most people we meet laugh and say how nice it is to see a cat. Has anyone else had problems making a booking because of your Cat. We only put Keira in a cattery now if we go abroad. We know of a very good cattery in our area and have had no issues with Keira staying their. :p

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi Knight-1,

I've only taken my cat away with me twice, new to caravanning, I must admit I didn't inform the campsite I had her with me.

I might try letting her loose in the car whilst travelling next time I go away however

What was the bases of refusal on the sites?

Welcome to the forum :)

Simon

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi Simon, some sites say it's due to H&S :blink: they must think she's a "dangerous breed" :evil: of Cat. But the latest site just point blank refused "cats" :( . They allowed Dogs though :eek:hmy: :angry: .

No! don't let your Cat loose in the car; :eek:hmy: It's dangerous for the cat and you, not to mention illegal. :whistle: Kiera isn't loose, she's on a harness and lead, if the worst was to happen she is still safe (restrained on a short lead) anchored to a seat belt point. ;)

We have in the past thought of not declaring her to a site but we feel it's too much of a risk.

Darren. :)

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Super photo he looks very content too.
I would be too afraid to bring our cat along so he stays home alone now before you all jump on my case one of our family call to make sure he and my 2 ferrets in shed are all okay. Minstrel our cat for all the older friends here who remember the black and white Minstrels on tv well he's black and white hence his name. He has his own toilet those big ones with a swing door and he uses it no problem I also have a eeder for his cat biscuit which would last him weeks he also has the run of the house and sleeps in our bedroom we keep the living room door out of bounds as the cockiteal is there just wouldn't take any chances tho he doesn't bother with the bird when we're home but better safe than sorry.
It saves lots of expenses for cattery he wasn't happy the one time we put him in. Try it honest it works brilliant.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
When our children were young (a long time ago) we had a black tom cat and when we wanted to go away at weekends I put it in the car and dropped it off at my parents house on the way to work. As I drove, the cat sat on my lap and when I stopped at traffic lights, it sat up to look out of the window. It was no trouble at all when travelling. After he died we wanted another cat and as we had heard Siamese were good travellers, we got one. It was dreadful. Howled for the whole of the journey and drove us all crazy. Eventually we consigned him to travelling in the caravan. But after we had arrived on site, he loved it. He went everywhere (on foot) with us - even to the beach.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Jaydug said:
When our children were young (a long time ago) we had a black tom cat and when we wanted to go away at weekends I put it in the car and dropped it off at my parents house on the way to work. As I drove, the cat sat on my lap and when I stopped at traffic lights, it sat up to look out of the window. It was no trouble at all when travelling. After he died we wanted another cat and as we had heard Siamese were good travellers, we got one. It was dreadful. Howled for the whole of the journey and drove us all crazy. Eventually we consigned him to travelling in the caravan. But after we had arrived on site, he loved it. He went everywhere (on foot) with us - even to the beach.

Jaydug,
I'm not a cat fan but that is a lovely photograph of your daughter and cat I presume, that will bring back happy memories in :) years to come,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts