57 plate hyundai santa fe 2.2 gsi 5 seater

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
hello all i am returning to caravanning after sometime and i have a coachman mirage 460/4se 1991 and was hoping if the car i have a 57 plate hyundai santa fe 2.2gsi5 seater will tow it so if anybody has any experiance in towing with a santa fe could you please let me know what they are like

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gareth

I tow with a Santa Fe 2.2 CRTD, and although I have only towed on 3 occasions as yet (1200 miles ish)it tows superbly with loads of power. My van is 1600kg and, apart from long steep hills, it pulls in 5th gear - even with cruise control. I have had many towcars of various makes and this is one of the best. Don't know why its not more popular as a towcar.

Enjoy

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi gareth, i have a 57 plate 2.2 santa fe cdx 7 auto. my van is a new bailey senator wyoming twin axel. it weighs approx 1678kg fully loaded. just bought it back from looe cc site. its a great tow car and i cant fault it. on the way back from looe cornwall its very hilly and we had to drive it in manual it was better. also there is a safety feature on the cruise control that if it goes below 25mph or drop below 9 to what you have set on cruise control it drops out of it. so something to remember. apart from the hills most of the way home was in cruise. great tow car and i think we are towing at about 90%.

hope this helps

jo-anne

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i forgot to say i always check my nose weight. the max towball weight of mine is 80kg but it depends what model and box you have. you can find this out on the hyundai website.

jo-anne
ok thanks john and jo-anne i am booked in to a site for next month in rhyl north wales so it seems the santa fe will have no problems thanks for your help my model is gsi crtdi and it is a 5 speed manual gearbox

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We're looking to change our Zafira later on in the year as we've come to realise that a 4x4 is the way to go. Has anyone got any experience of the 7 seat Santa Fe? What's legroom like etc? Can't afford a new one but could probably stretch to one of the first 7 seat models 2nd hand.

Cheers & sorry to hijack topic - seemed daft posting a new topic when it overlaps this one.

Claire & Rob

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi claire and rob, we went from a 07 plate 2.9 kia sedona to a 57 plate santa fe cdx 7 auto.

beautiful to drive and sooooooooooooo comphy.

obviousley there not as much legroom as there was in our sedona but its a far better car with reguards to seating etc. the two seats in the boot fold into the boot flat like the zafira. the seats in the santa fe are more comfotable than those of the zafira aswell as we had a zafira as a hire car for a while.

if you get one i dont think you would regreat it.

kia and hyundai are the same company. my advise to you is also look at the sorento great car and great value. they are a 2.5 but they tow more and have better max tow ball weight but only 5 seats im afraid.

good luck keep us posted.

jo-anne

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gareth

I tow with a Santa Fe 2.2 CRTD, and although I have only towed on 3 occasions as yet (1200 miles ish)it tows superbly with loads of power. My van is 1600kg and, apart from long steep hills, it pulls in 5th gear - even with cruise control. I have had many towcars of various makes and this is one of the best. Don't know why its not more popular as a towcar.

Enjoy
What mpg do you get with your Santa Fe? Your outfit sounds similar to ours and tows well but my husband has complained about the mpg on ours since day 1 (even without towing). He is now thinking about a Honda CRV

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Jo-anne.

We are seriously considering a Sorento but we think that we'd miss having 7 seats as we've now had 2 Zafiras over the last 7 years. We like to split up our 3 boys by putting the little one in the rear and this then lets the twins sit apart in the middle row. They're all on at us to get a dog later in the year so we need to think about that too. We really need to get it right this time as we can't afford to keep swapping our towcar. We'll lose around

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Note that the pre 06 Santa Fe only has the 2.0ltr engine 111 bhp & the 06 on has a 2.2 ltr engine 150 bhp.

The other thing to check is the Co2 emissions, automatics put out more Co2 than the manual version & can often put the car in a higher tax bracket (which goes up again next year)

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Graham. 06 onwards it'll have to be. We're really confused about the car tax system. Will need to research thoroughly before we commit.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Had a long chat with our neighbours yesterday who have a 2001 1.8 Deisel Santa Fe. They don't tow so can't advise on that but really like it as a solo car. Said neighbour goes fishing and did mention that he thinks the santa struggles a bit in mud/off road. He doesn't do extreme off-roading, just to the fishing peg and back. Can anyone comment? We'd probably go for the 2.2 deisel which would be more powerful but don't want to plump for a vehicle that would struggle to get us off muddy CL pitches if we ever needed it to.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
claire and rob, i didnt know they made a 1.8 santa fe. anyway my in laws own the old shape 2.0 diesal and they go rallying and no probs.

we have the 2.2 you want and our storage in winter gets muddy and its up a hill craig reverses the van into the space no probs.

hope this helps.

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
claire and rob, we tow a new bailey wyoing fully loaded 1678. we are towing at about 90%. weve not long come back from the south of cornwall and its very hilly the steep hills you do in tiptronic manual and the rest auto. its fine not a problems very smooth.

the only problem is dont go up a hill in cruise control. if you go less than 9 miles below what you set it comes out of cruise also if you go less than 25 mph it comes out aswell. its a safety feature on the car.

we love the car so go and buy and enjoy.

jo-anne

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Claire

I have a Sorento which can pull anything. If 7 seats are crucial go for the Santa Fe.

More importantly go to as many dealers and private sellers as you can and do a "Dominic Littlewood " and bargain hard. With diesel and road tax rising daily there are a lot of people panicking, ( unnecessarily in my view), and wanting to off load their 4x4.

We tow a S6 Wyoming and neevr know it is on the back, so to speak.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Still thinking of a Santa Fe but also now considering a Honda CR-V but will obviously only be 5 seats. Rob's dad is obsessed with the Which? report and the CR-V won their best buy 4x4. Low emissions and good mpg so worth a look. I'm increasing my hours at work in September and that will be when we start to look seriously for our next car but very useful getting various opinions from my expert caravanning friends on here! Nothing quite like experience for truthful, honest advice.

Cheers

Claire

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
claire if you go for the crv 2.2 you will be towing at 85% so the cuddles site says. it also says max tow weight is 1500kg.

the kerb weight is about 200-250 less than then santa fe.

its man enough to tow your van.

jo-anne

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Jo-anne. With the announcement made today re road tax increases virtually across the board, got to seriously consider the CR-V.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, realy interesting discussion. We are looking at either the Sante Fe with 7 seats or the mitsibushi outlander. This has 7 seats but methinks the bench rear seat on the outlander is a bit of a joke for anything except very occaisional use. We need the back seats fairly regularly as daughter and her one year old often come out with us as well as a 17 year old and a big 10 year old. If 22 year old son joins us as well then 7 decent seats are a must.

mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts