59 Reg Hyundai Santa Fe suspension.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone give me an opinion of fitting rear spring assisters that are sold by Towsure. I find the suspension is just a little soft, and could do with something to improve stability. I have the 5 seater Santa Fe, so have no self levelling. I would prefer not to have to fit MAD springs, as I want to keep the cost down.

Thanks in advance.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A soft "up-and-down" suspension does not affect stability. It is sideways movement that has a detrimental effect and spring assisters are going to help little in that respect.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for replies guys,

I am towing a 2010 Swift Challenger 530, the MTPLM is 1580Kg. I would not say the outfit is unstable, just a bit twitchy with passing HGV, etc. I have only just returned to caravanning after a 9 year break, so my initial thought arethat I am probably worrying about nothing. The nose weight is spot-on for the car at 80Kg and there is no sag at all. I just feel the rear suspension is quite soft and may benefit from a little stiffening. Maybe with a few more runs out with the outfit I may get used to the handling as it is?

I feel you are right Lutz, there is no sideways movement, so spring assisters will do little to help.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday I had Grayston GE15 Spring Assisters fitted to my SF. What a difference they make to solo driving. The handling is so much better and driving into bends gives much more confidence. There is much less bounce now. I have not tried it with the caravan on hook yet, but suspect it will show an improvement there too? I decided to give these a try to gauge the overall effect as it is the cheapest option. I will most likely look towards fitting uprated springs as a final remedy in due course.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would like to point out that increasing the rear axle spring rate by fitting spring assisters and doing nothing at the front will increase the tendancy for the car to oversteer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts