8 Seater Tow Vehicle

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
HIya all

Does anyone tow a larger van with an 8 seater large MPV type vehicle like VW Transporter/caravelle, Mercedes Vito/vaneo or fiat Scudo or renault traffic etc etc. Would like advice on reliability and hwo well they tow etc.

Ta
TD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello TD,
In essence all the vehicles you mention are based on commercial vans. I have towed many caravans with 30cwt 1500Kg to 3000Kg payload sized vans of different makes and driven wheel configurations and in general they cope very well. The lower gearing of commercial vehicles helps to maintian good progress at normal towing speeds, and the stiffer suspension also helps to give confidence to the driver. In some cases these conversions are still classed as light goods commercial vehicles.
Some caravan manufactures clearly states the warranty will be invalidated if towed by a commercial vehicle.
MPG tends to be lower than most heavy cars (diesel vs diesel) and the bigger dimensions can cause some problems with parking.
I have also used a Renault Grand Espace, which is only a 7 seater and that also tows very well.
The caravans and trailers are generally well behaved when towed by larger vehicles. this probably down to both the weight of such vehicles and their size cutting a bigger hole in the air ahead of the caravan.
Vans converted as people carriers are generally not loaded as havily as their commercial counterparts, so they generally have a healthy towing capacity, Though be warned, if you havent got cat BE or B+e on your driving licence, you may not be licenced to tow a big trailer like a heavy caravan.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha brum, unfortunely not. I posted this before the other post and before I had discussed it with her in charge! I've just bought an 07 Galaxy which will replace the Touran when I get round to selling it. Sad to see the touran go but galaxy fits everyone in and the pushchair behind the 7 seats so iit will do until we decide on a longer term plan. Last trip in caravan booked on the wells rally for 3weeks in August then the caravan has to be sold also-but looking forward to looking around for a bigger van next year.
TD

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of changing my sportage to a i800 in feb and now will definitely be doing so 8 seats loads of room for two dogs and most of the contents of the unit job done.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
kopite said:
I was thinking of changing my sportage to a i800 in feb and now will definitely be doing so 8 seats loads of room for two dogs and most of the contents of the unit job done.

Wayne.
Tell me twins are on the way?! LOL.

Shame you will miss Rivenlot.
See you soon.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
kopite said:

Wayne.
Tell me twins are on the way?! LOL.

Shame you will miss Rivenlot.
See you soon.
morning Dusty
No twins just a black lab called Digby and we still have Bailey.
I`m gutted i cant do Rivenlot but have read all the post and i think you`ll have a blast,we should be able to make PC rally next year so hopefully we can catch up there
up the Villans x

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been very pleased but if you are looking for a new one I undersatand they are 130ps engine with a 6 speed box to meet emission requirements.The older ones are 170ps with a five speed box.I think towing with a 130ps might need looking at carefully.Mine is a 170 auto and very strong towing but vehicle tax is £460 .If you have any queries and I can help just let me know

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
I've been very pleased but if you are looking for a new one I undersatand they are 130ps engine with a 6 speed box to meet emission requirements.The older ones are 170ps with a five speed box.I think towing with a 130ps might need looking at carefully.Mine is a 170 auto and very strong towing but vehicle tax is £460 .If you have any queries and I can help just let me know
Cheers Sir Deli
I`m looking at 11/12 plate all having 2.5 ltr engine they must have enough grunt but will do some research.
enjoy woosiefest

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts