A bit confusing!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have been looking mainly on Autotrader for a replacement car. When I have seen something that seems to fit the bill I have checked reviews for the company and in some cases no reviews at all or the reviews are so glowing and follow the same trend so I get a bit suspicious. On checking the website for the dealer we have noticed that to view the vehicle is "By appointment only." One we messaged yesterday and then later phoned and they still have not replied!

On checking locations for some and also using Google Earth sometimes the address appears to be on a farm or somewhere out in the sticks. It does appear that they have no servicing facilities or anything if there is an issue with the vehicle so raises alarm bells with us. I appreciate that many second hand dealers farm out their vehicles for any repairs etc prior to sale, but it is the wording that gives the impression it is done on site.

Right hassle sorting out the genuine ones. We have seen two vehicles that we like and then noticed that one was in north Scotland and the other in NI. As Bruce says No wonder the price was right! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have been looking mainly on Autotrader for a replacement car. When I have seen something that seems to fit the bill I have checked reviews for the company and in some cases no reviews at all or the reviews are so glowing and follow the same trend so I get a bit suspicious. On checking the website for the dealer we have noticed that to view the vehicle is "By appointment only." One we messaged yesterday and then later phoned and they still have not replied!

On checking locations for some and also using Google Earth sometimes the address appears to be on a farm or somewhere out in the sticks. It does appear that they have no servicing facilities or anything if there is an issue with the vehicle so raises alarm bells with us. I appreciate that many second hand dealers farm out their vehicles for any repairs etc prior to sale, but it is the wording that gives the impression it is done on site.

Right hassle sorting out the genuine ones. We have seen two vehicles that we like and then noticed that one was in north Scotland and the other in NI. As Bruce says No wonder the price was right! LOL! :ROFLMAO:
You can set filters on Autotrader with defined distance from your specific location. IE the pub 2 miles down the road. You can then sort the search results by least distance, price high or low etc. You can filter out any insurance write off repair vehicles or ditch private sales etc. After that you just need to do what you are doing by exercising due diligence.

What are you searching for then?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You can set filters on Autotrader with defined distance from your specific location. IE the pub 2 miles down the road. You can then sort the search results by least distance, price high or low etc. You can filter out any insurance write off repair vehicles or ditch private sales etc. After that you just need to do what you are doing by exercising due diligence.

What are you searching for then?
Thanks I am aware of the filters. It is sorting out the chaff from the wheat as very way as not too keen to buy from "dealer" in the sticks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Got those when for interest I removed the filters to see what was available further away, but did not expect anything from NI to come up.
It’s as the crow flies across all of UK. But I see what you mean. I’ve got three live Autotrader searches going and I get notifications when a new candidate appears.

Reactions: Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Quite a number if dealers sell through the Interweb UK wide. You get the car delivered to try for a week or so then either keep it or send it back

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Quite a number if dealers sell through the Interweb UK wide. You get the car delivered to try for a week or so then either keep it or send it back
Yes, but read the small print, you can only return the car if its not as described on most of them.

Ans then most adverts simply list the spec, nothing about the condition.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add, We gave up looking and decided to spend some money updating our 1996 Corolla. Got a small rust spot just under the rear window on the rear lid of the hatchback that needs removing.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Yes, but read the small print, you can only return the car if its not as described on most of them.

Ans then most adverts simply list the spec, nothing about the condition.
It depends where you pay for the car. If you pay remotely without seeing the car or visiting the dealers premises it's classed as a distance sale under CCR and you can change your mind and return the car within 14 days without giving a reason.

I'm not sure if there is a fee for delivery / return, but the dealer must inform you about it prior to purchase if there is.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cazoo and Cinch adverts always gave closeup shots of areas of imperfection plus a description. Not as good as eyeballing but you had the right to have the car returned. However Cazoo have now stopped selling cars and plan a sales site akin to Autotrader. Good luck on that one !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts