A bit confusing!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have been looking mainly on Autotrader for a replacement car. When I have seen something that seems to fit the bill I have checked reviews for the company and in some cases no reviews at all or the reviews are so glowing and follow the same trend so I get a bit suspicious. On checking the website for the dealer we have noticed that to view the vehicle is "By appointment only." One we messaged yesterday and then later phoned and they still have not replied!

On checking locations for some and also using Google Earth sometimes the address appears to be on a farm or somewhere out in the sticks. It does appear that they have no servicing facilities or anything if there is an issue with the vehicle so raises alarm bells with us. I appreciate that many second hand dealers farm out their vehicles for any repairs etc prior to sale, but it is the wording that gives the impression it is done on site.

Right hassle sorting out the genuine ones. We have seen two vehicles that we like and then noticed that one was in north Scotland and the other in NI. As Bruce says No wonder the price was right! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have been looking mainly on Autotrader for a replacement car. When I have seen something that seems to fit the bill I have checked reviews for the company and in some cases no reviews at all or the reviews are so glowing and follow the same trend so I get a bit suspicious. On checking the website for the dealer we have noticed that to view the vehicle is "By appointment only." One we messaged yesterday and then later phoned and they still have not replied!

On checking locations for some and also using Google Earth sometimes the address appears to be on a farm or somewhere out in the sticks. It does appear that they have no servicing facilities or anything if there is an issue with the vehicle so raises alarm bells with us. I appreciate that many second hand dealers farm out their vehicles for any repairs etc prior to sale, but it is the wording that gives the impression it is done on site.

Right hassle sorting out the genuine ones. We have seen two vehicles that we like and then noticed that one was in north Scotland and the other in NI. As Bruce says No wonder the price was right! LOL! :ROFLMAO:
You can set filters on Autotrader with defined distance from your specific location. IE the pub 2 miles down the road. You can then sort the search results by least distance, price high or low etc. You can filter out any insurance write off repair vehicles or ditch private sales etc. After that you just need to do what you are doing by exercising due diligence.

What are you searching for then?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You can set filters on Autotrader with defined distance from your specific location. IE the pub 2 miles down the road. You can then sort the search results by least distance, price high or low etc. You can filter out any insurance write off repair vehicles or ditch private sales etc. After that you just need to do what you are doing by exercising due diligence.

What are you searching for then?
Thanks I am aware of the filters. It is sorting out the chaff from the wheat as very way as not too keen to buy from "dealer" in the sticks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Got those when for interest I removed the filters to see what was available further away, but did not expect anything from NI to come up.
It’s as the crow flies across all of UK. But I see what you mean. I’ve got three live Autotrader searches going and I get notifications when a new candidate appears.

Reactions: Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Quite a number if dealers sell through the Interweb UK wide. You get the car delivered to try for a week or so then either keep it or send it back

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Quite a number if dealers sell through the Interweb UK wide. You get the car delivered to try for a week or so then either keep it or send it back
Yes, but read the small print, you can only return the car if its not as described on most of them.

Ans then most adverts simply list the spec, nothing about the condition.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add, We gave up looking and decided to spend some money updating our 1996 Corolla. Got a small rust spot just under the rear window on the rear lid of the hatchback that needs removing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deejuk
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Yes, but read the small print, you can only return the car if its not as described on most of them.

Ans then most adverts simply list the spec, nothing about the condition.
It depends where you pay for the car. If you pay remotely without seeing the car or visiting the dealers premises it's classed as a distance sale under CCR and you can change your mind and return the car within 14 days without giving a reason.

I'm not sure if there is a fee for delivery / return, but the dealer must inform you about it prior to purchase if there is.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cazoo and Cinch adverts always gave closeup shots of areas of imperfection plus a description. Not as good as eyeballing but you had the right to have the car returned. However Cazoo have now stopped selling cars and plan a sales site akin to Autotrader. Good luck on that one !

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
After our very recent experience and hassles, OH wants me to replace the Jeep with a Landcruiser same as our son's. His goes places that off road enthusiastics can only dream about and never any hesitation.

Problem being that even a second hand 2016 LC is not "cheap" with prices starting north of £26k for one with a full service history and reasonable mileage.

I am wondering what other vehicles are out there capable of handling a 2000kg caravan safely with a maximum nose weight of 150kg? It can be petrol or diesel, but reliability is a big factor. The Q7 looks interesting, but apparently they suffer with fuel issues?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After our very recent experience and hassles, OH wants me to replace the Jeep with a Landcruiser same as our son's. His goes places that off road enthusiastics can only dream about and never any hesitation.

Problem being that even a second hand 2016 LC is not "cheap" with prices starting north of £26k for one with a full service history and reasonable mileage.

I am wondering what other vehicles are out there capable of handling a 2000kg caravan safely with a maximum nose weight of 150kg? It can be petrol or diesel, but reliability is a big factor. The Q7 looks interesting, but apparently they suffer with fuel issues?
Toureg perhaps? Bigger dealer network than Landcruiser plus many VAG independents too.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I think you've identified the class leader for reliability in the size you want. The German offerings may have some advantages but I very much doubt reliability is one of them (that's from a Mercedes driver). The 2016 Hyundai Santa fe will pull up to 2500kg (depending on spec) so is worth looking into at least. Not sure about the Subaru Forester?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Just to add, We gave up looking and decided to spend some money updating our 1996 Corolla. Got a small rust spot just under the rear window on the rear lid of the hatchback that needs removing.

I'd keep it, they can go forever. I once had a later year T sport version. Great little overlooked hot hatch. Could scare the bejeezus out of you if you were daft enough to let it.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Not safe as both are too light for a 2000kg caravan.
"Not safe" isn't necessarily correct. Heavier the tow vehicle compared to trailer better the rig is likely to handle. Which is why it is recommended that trailer mass is 85% of tow vehicle(empty). Lighter vehicle can tow heavier trailer safely if driven at sensible speeds.

Santa Fe and Sorento are around 1900kg (empty) depending on year and model but are rated to tow >2000kg. NB their mass well be >2000kg when towing by time loaded with few 100kgs of passengers and luggage.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
"Not safe" isn't necessarily correct. Heavier the tow vehicle compared to trailer better the rig is likely to handle. Which is why it is recommended that trailer mass is 85% of tow vehicle(empty). Lighter vehicle can tow heavier trailer safely if driven at sensible speeds.

Santa Fe and Sorento are around 1900kg (empty) depending on year and model but are rated to tow >2000kg. NB their mass well be >2000kg when towing by time loaded with few 100kgs of passengers and luggage.
Really upset now you thing OH and myself weigh 100's of kilos! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Really upset now you thing OH and myself weigh 100's of kilos! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Are you really going to tow the caravan with an empty car, I doubt it.
The Santa Fe, will tow 2000 kg with Auto transmission, 2500 kg with manual.
My Santa with 1/4 tank of fuel and myself ( 85 kg) , and "bits" in the car comes in at 2050 kg. Ish.
But I really wouldn't want to tow a 2000 kg caravan all the time.
Toureg, for me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Five years tugging with my Touareg was the best upgrade from the super reliable Sorento Mk 1s.
It’s the R Line but didn’t come with electrically adjustable front seats. They are heated!
No problems other than the no 5 glow plug. All six changed for £150 inc Labour
Ian
Are you going into panic mode 😜
All cars break and can be fixed. The financial outlay to change will not always give the desired results. Sometimes better the devil you know 😉

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts