A bit of a shock!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As we needed to go by our caravan this morning we decided to do our shopping at Morrisons to pick up a few things not in our delivery. While wandering around the store we spotted a box of 240 Yorkshire tea bags for £4. Great we thought and added it to our trolley.

Anyway finished getting what we needed and went to the till. Imagine our surprised when the box of tea bags went through at £8.25. https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/taylors-of-harrogate-yorkshire-tea-240-tea-bags-113687011 I said to the person on the till that the price should be £4. I was given short shift and told if I have an issue I must go find a supervisor. I said to the person that it is for them to call the supervisor and not for us to hunt around for one. The person basically said if we don't want to pay the price we can take it off our shopping list.

At that point I was ready to abandoned all our shopping and walk out, but SWMBO insisted that we pay which I did and left. I guess we will not be shopping at Morrisons again unless really desperate! Not sure if this should be reported to TS?

Yorkshire tea.jpg

Attachments

• Yorkshire tea.jpg
    Yorkshire tea.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 24
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We regularly shop at Morrisons, as it's convenient for us - we frequently notice discrepancies between the shelf price and the checkout price. In common with most other supermarkets, the checkout operators at Morrisons can't dealt with those discrepancies and advise customers to go to customer services - so we're regularly at CS and get the difference back in cash.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As we needed to go by our caravan this morning we decided to do our shopping at Morrisons to pick up a few things not in our delivery. While wandering around the store we spotted a box of 240 Yorkshire tea bags for £4. Great we thought and added it to our trolley.

Anyway finished getting what we needed and went to the till. Imagine our surprised when the box of tea bags went through at £8.25. https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/taylors-of-harrogate-yorkshire-tea-240-tea-bags-113687011 I said to the person on the till that the price should be £4. I was given short shift and told if I have an issue I must go find a supervisor. I said to the person that it is for them to call the supervisor and not for us to hunt around for one. The person basically said if we don't want to pay the price we can take it off our shopping list.

At that point I was ready to abandoned all our shopping and walk out, but SWMBO insisted that we pay which I did and left. I guess we will not be shopping at Morrisons again unless really desperate! Not sure if this should be reported to TS?

View attachment 5659
Complain to Customer Services they need to be aware of the mispricing.

What with your tribulations last week at Sainsbury/Asda(?) you will be out of supermarkets soon.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think it is normal for checkout operators to be unable to handle discrepencies, otherwise queues would get out of hand. But they should be polite, and direct you appropriately.

But it does show the need to be vigilant.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We regularly shop at Morrisons, as it's convenient for us - we frequently notice discrepancies between the shelf price and the checkout price. In common with most other supermarkets, the checkout operators at Morrisons can't dealt with those discrepancies and advise customers to go to customer services - so we're regularly at CS and get the difference back in cash.
The Morrisons that we occasionally use no longer has a customer service desk and you as the shopper need to find the supervisor and this can take some time.

About 4-5 weeks ago we went into the same Morrisons to collect an item and in the doorway entrance was a huge poster advertising Costa coffee at £2.99. We collected 4 cans however when it went through the tills, it was priced at over £6 a tin so instead of paying just under £16 the cost was £36! A huge difference!

At the time we were told to find a supervisor so OH went looking for one, but in the meantime we held up the queue. OH eventually found one after about 10 -15 minutes who then came to the till and then disappeared to confirm what we had told them about the poster in the doorway so another delay.

The supervisor agreed to let us have the coffee at the price advertised on the poster, but the supervisor made out as if they were doing us a big favour.

Generally in the past when there has been an issue in a supermarket, the person on the till presses a button which causes a light about the till to start flashing and an supervisor comes across to help resolve an issues.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Zoom in on your original photo - I suspect the shelf label will say the 160 quantities bags are £4 and someone put the 240 boxes in the wrong place. https://groceries.morrisons.com/browse?filters=yorkshire-tea-108413
Yep I agree with you however it was two shelves stacked right across with the 240 boxes. Plus there was another huge £4 sign on each of the 3 shelves with the 240 boxes.

On each of the shelves, in the middle was just "£4" on a yellow card which is just outside the right of the picture. Very misleading and I wonder how many others were as not as sharp and paid the higher rate which was more than double?

By the way Sainsbury have the same tea box at Nectar price £5.

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
The Morrisons that we occasionally use no longer has a customer service desk and you as the shopper need to find the supervisor and this can take some time.

About 4-5 weeks ago we went into the same Morrisons to collect an item and in the doorway entrance was a huge poster advertising Costa coffee at £2.99. We collected 4 cans however when it went through the tills, it was priced at over £6 a tin so instead of paying just under £16 the cost was £36! A huge difference!

At the time we were told to find a supervisor so OH went looking for one, but in the meantime we held up the queue. OH eventually found one after about 10 -15 minutes who then came to the till and then disappeared to confirm what we had told them about the poster in the doorway so another delay.

The supervisor agreed to let us have the coffee at the price advertised on the poster, but the supervisor made out as if they were doing us a big favour.

Generally in the past when there has been an issue in a supermarket, the person on the till presses a button which causes a light about the till to start flashing and an supervisor comes across to help resolve an issues.
Morrisons are not customer friendly
We ordered a breakfast and waited 40mins ! Finally after asking where it was ,the lady on the next table informed us it has been sitting on the side for over 20 mins as the dope on the till didn't add a table number? Speaking to the server she said "we're busy you will have to wait " obviously on receiving our much awaited breakfast it was stone cold !
I relayed this to the server she said " you should have asked earlier , trying to explain to her I had requested 30 mins ago then swiftly walked back to the kitchen .. we by this time were very hungry and fuming , we ate what we could and went to customer services to find it unattended,! Angrily we left £18 quid light
I have contacted morrisons complaints online and have never received a reply ?
Needless to say we will never shop there again
Moral of this story to get what you want from these type of stores is to create a scene.
Sorry for the rant but Morrisons are amongst the worst for tucking up the public ..

• Wow
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Am I glad that my wife bans me from going with her shopping for groceries and most other shops too. Too much stress for her she maintains. 🤣

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Am I glad that my wife bans me from going with her shopping for groceries and most other shops too. Too much stress for her she maintains. 🤣
I think I will be getting the same banning as I was quite ready to leave all the shopping and walk off. Have since found out that just down the road is a brand new ALDI. If we had known that at the time, we would have gone there.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Morrisons are not customer friendly
We ordered a breakfast and waited 40mins ! Finally after asking where it was ,the lady on the next table informed us it has been sitting on the side for over 20 mins as the dope on the till didn't add a table number? Speaking to the server she said "we're busy you will have to wait " obviously on receiving our much awaited breakfast it was stone cold !
I relayed this to the server she said " you should have asked earlier , trying to explain to her I had requested 30 mins ago then swiftly walked back to the kitchen .. we by this time were very hungry and fuming , we ate what we could and went to customer services to find it unattended,! Angrily we left £18 quid light
I have contacted morrisons complaints online and have never received a reply ?
Needless to say we will never shop there again
Moral of this story to get what you want from these type of stores is to create a scene.
Sorry for the rant but Morrisons are amongst the worst for tucking up the public ..
The Morrisons in Malvern has the "disabled" bays a distance from the entrance so as you say not exactly customer friendly. When we lived in Malvern itself it was our regular shop, but most times the Disabled toilet was faulty due to the door lock not working! It took them about 5 years to fit a decent lock that never broke when you looked at it.

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
The Morrisons in Malvern has the "disabled" bays a distance from the entrance so as you say not exactly customer friendly. When we lived in Malvern itself it was our regular shop, but most times the Disabled toilet was faulty due to the door lock not working! It took them about 5 years to fit a decent lock that never broke when you looked at it.
To be honest, a Morrisons shop is not cheap , we've done a comparison shop at asda we saved more than £35 on a £90 shop
Without the steam over the veg ?? What's that all about ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When something similar happened to my wife she emptied the contents of the shopping trolley on the conveyer belt and walked out of the supermarket with the empty trolley.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only relate that with the three Morrisons I have used in my area (and having used most of other brands as well) I've not encountered any of the problems mentioned. That doesn't mean there aren't any bad eggs. just that I've not encountered them.

As with most large operators there will be good and bad across the network.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We have noticed this on a number of occasions with Morrisons and now check the details of offers very carefully.
It appears too frequnt for it simply to be carelessness.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You have no legal right to insist that any business sells you an item at the price displayed. So if it is priced wrongly they are entitled to refuse to sell it at that price. They may at their discretion sell it to you, but legally they don't have to.

Supermarkets sell tens of thousands of items, and tge prices vary a lot so the odd mistake is inevitable.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I had a bit of duff customer service from Morrisons and emailed their complaints dept. ( It really was duff, I don’t usually complain and tend to go with, “ anyone can have a bad day”). Got some extra points on the reward card.
mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You have no legal right to insist that any business sells you an item at the price displayed. So if it is priced wrongly they are entitled to refuse to sell it at that price. They may at their discretion sell it to you, but legally they don't have to.

Supermarkets sell tens of thousands of items, and tge prices vary a lot so the odd mistake is inevitable.
However two such big mistakes in the space of about? I am well aware that they do not have to sell at the price displayed, but it is still classed as Misrepresentation.

The other thing I recalled is that at all the other supermarkets we have visited incl LIDL, ALDI etc as they scan the item through, you can see the price on a monitor. Morrisons that we went to yesterday have removed this facility as giving me the impression that they are deliberately misleading the customer

Reactions: Challenger
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We must have something in common my wife prefers to go shopping on her own i am not bother i just sit there and wait in the car . ;)

Reactions: GUMPY
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tesco had a similar thing with pure Malt Whisky. Aberlour, one Sherry cask conditioned was twice the price of the standard bottle. Both bottles next to each other , the writing on the sign was tiny. Too late . Only noticed when I got home! It went down very well.

Hang on who does the packing? Me ! I never see the price going through the till !

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
My bargain hunting wife uses all the supermarkets we have except Waitrose as we do not have one and certainly round here there is little difference in their customer service.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

It’s different in Germany. A year or two ago a chain store advertised a special offer on a refrigerator “for peanuts”. A customer produced a bag of peanuts and asked for the fridge. The store refused on the grounds that the offer was never meant to be taken literally. The customer took them to court and won.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts