A couple of hours from Dunkerque but heading to Germany

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chris

I am going this route on the 22nd June. Suggest Klein Strand at Jabbeke (just outside Bruges - Take exit 6 from the E40 Brussel-Oostende. Camp site signposted in the city centre of Jabbeke

Camping Klein Strand

Varsenareweg 29

8490 Jabbeke (West-Vlaanderen)

Belgium

N 51.18435

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from Germany yesterday. Our first stop always is 270 miles from the tunnel. We leave the tunnel about 5.30am and get to Prumtal Camping at Oberweiss, nr. Bitburg and arrive miday we stay there 3 or 4 nights as it is a 5 star site E15 with ACSI. It has a 5 star restaurant at 3 star prices. It is family owned and very friendly. Luxemburg is 20 minutes so you can fill up with Fuel cheapest in Europe and a pleasant day out. Bitburg is a nice town and has all the usual shops for food Lidl, Aldi and another chain called Tooms. Food is very cheap in Germany compared to here and a much greater selection.

If you would like more info get in touch.

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Just got back from Germany yesterday. Our first stop always is 270 miles from the tunnel. We leave the tunnel about 5.30am and get to Prumtal Camping at Oberweiss, nr. Bitburg and arrive miday we stay there 3 or 4 nights as it is a 5 star site E15 with ACSI. It has a 5 star restaurant at 3 star prices. It is family owned and very friendly. Luxemburg is 20 minutes so you can fill up with Fuel cheapest in Europe and a pleasant day out. Bitburg is a nice town and has all the usual shops for food Lidl, Aldi and another chain called Tooms. Food is very cheap in Germany compared to here and a much greater selection.

If you would like more info get in touch.
Can also recommend this site - we spent a few days there last year - worth visiting for the restaurant alone. Area is also lovely.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you get a bit unlucky with the traffic, your two hours would take you close to maubegue just south of Mons (but in France) The municiple site is on the east side of the main road into the town from the north, just after the border crossing.

good size pitches and some reasonable shopping nearby. you could then continue east via Luxembourg for a cheap fill-up before going on into Germany.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Talking of Mons, we've stayed at the 'Vaux-Hall' municipal site in a park right in the middle of the city. It's conveniently close to the motorway and quite OK for a night's stopover.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

We are in Austria at the moment. We made our first stop from Dunkerque at Terrassencamping Gulperberg in Holland. About 180 miles (just short of Achen) and on page 298 of Camping Cheque book. It is a very pleasant rural site, and is also near Maastrict which is well worth a visit (reminds us of Bruges). There are a lot of other sites around this area of Limburg, Holland - particularly in the ACSI book.

Keith

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Have a lovely and safe holiday as we have just had. 9 weeks in Germany and Austria. Wonderful countries and lovely weather. Southern Austria it was 28 to 34deg C for 5 weeks with odd rain during the night accompanied by a few thunderstorms but clear the next morning and back to hot sunny weather.

When do you go Chris?.

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Have a lovely and safe holiday as we have just had. 9 weeks in Germany and Austria. Wonderful countries and lovely weather. Southern Austria it was 28 to 34deg C for 5 weeks with odd rain during the night accompanied by a few thunderstorms but clear the next morning and back to hot sunny weather.

When do you go Chris?.
Hi Dianne,

We travel out on 6th Aug for over 2 weeks.

We arrive via Dunkerque and then Im planning on taking a few days to get to the Neustadt area where my relaitves live. Then travelling back perhaps taking a couple of days elsewhere.

This is my first time abroad with the van and Im concerned about the travelling and driving too far hence Im looking for stops not too far from the port and then near to our final destination.

Ive found a site in a place called Bad Durkheim which looks quite good anf looked at some of the suggested ones from yourself Lutz David Klynne etc.

Ive got a number of books to look at so now its a matter of sitting down and planning the route out.

We love Germany and its a long time since Ive been to my relatives. My aunty owned vinyards but now just reaps the rewards so the cellars are full of the stuff. Its not the same stuff that is sold here! much better.

Did you go to Baden Baden on your travels?

Chris

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Chris, Thanks for the comments. No we did not go to Baden Baden this trip we have been there many times but not when caravanning. We stopped near Freudenstadt at a lovely site 5 star the Toilets and showers are something else. Family ones which were the only ones being used when we were there as not many folks on the site, They were little rooms with a toilet, washbasin and shower virtually brand new all tiled, underfloor heating and overhead too from solar panels on the roof. There were 8 of these in one large room. Though they were used by Males and Females they were still very private. Bad Dirkheim is very nice we have been there several times to the Christmas Market when staying with friends in Kaiserslaughten. We have German friends who have a cottage near Neustadt in a lovely little village called Esthal, where friends of theirs cuts a space in the field next to his house, lays on water and electricity for us all free of charge very nice.

It is a pity you are not travelling in the ACSI camping card months as it would be so much cheaper for you.

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
We have just returned from a five week tour of southern Germany. We travelled by ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge for the first time. Our first stop was at Camping Gritt, 2 Rue Gritt, Ingeldorf, near Ettlebruck in Luxembourg, about 215 miles from Zeebrugge so must be a similar distance from Calais. It's a riverside site and is in the Caravan Club brochure. We stayed for four nights. Very covenient for Bastogne and the "Battle of the Bulge" memorials etc. If travelling from there into Luxembourg city, travel by public transport as the traffic in the city is horrendous, but I understand that the trains are very cheap.

On the return we stayed at the Maubeurge site for a couple of nights, mainly to stock up at the local Auchan supermarket. Lovely site but they have some resident insects that take delight in "biting" my wife and I. So much so that we have to take prescription Cetirizine Dihydrochloride tablets to counteract the effects!

Whatever have a nice trip, you will enjoy your visit to Germany.

Michael Derbyshire

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dianne.

I also know Kaiserlautern as my dad was originally from there but ended up here in England, a long story!. We will be going there as well to show my children where their grandad was from. I still have some family there, if your friend is from there originally may know my dads family, It can be a small world at times!!

If you know Neustadt, the rest of my family live up towards Hambach castle a couple of miles from the town centre.

Ive had a look as to where your friends are from which looks like its in the middle of the 2 towns.

Ive checked out Freudenstadt and its a little further south, maybe next time we go there!.

Good to chat!

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Dianne.

I also know Kaiserlautern as my dad was originally from there but ended up here in England, a long story!. We will be going there as well to show my children where their grandad was from. I still have some family there, if your friend is from there originally may know my dads family, It can be a small world at times!!

If you know Neustadt, the rest of my family live up towards Hambach castle a couple of miles from the town centre.

Ive had a look as to where your friends are from which looks like its in the middle of the 2 towns.

Ive checked out Freudenstadt and its a little further south, maybe next time we go there!.

Good to chat!

Chris
Our daughter lives in Kaiserslautern!

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Our daughter lives in Kaiserslautern!
Hi Lutz,

My Dad was actually born in a place called Kindsbach which I think is an area of K'Lauten.

I was just checking the place out on google earth of places I went to when i first went some 40 yrs ago!.

I intend taking my kids to see where he was from.

regards

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts