A couple of things I've learnt

May 30, 2024
Visit site
I thought I'd better introduce myself, though I have been in the room a week or two already..

I enjoyed a considerable amount of caravanning from the 1970's through 1990's, including commandeering my parents car and caravan for a week or two every so often. As a 17 year old! They were very trusting, and I always had a lot of confidence in my abilities. And times were a bit different. Actually, one of my very earliest memories was being at the docks at Hull and watching while my dad's car and caravan were lifted by crane onto a ship bound for Norway. Since then have camped with a tent or trailer tent somewhere most years, but decided to jump in and bought a caravan last year. Straight from the off, took it touring around Eire, and very much enjoyed that.

A couple of things I've learnt:
1. Caravans are very nickable. Bought brand new July 2023. 3 weeks holiday in Ireland and returned to non-CASSOA storage. Stolen and vanished without trace August 2023. Even though it was alarmed, wheel locked and hitch locked.
2. CAMC insurance cover is exemplary

We thought quite hard about whether to abandon the caravan ownership idea after that, but decided we'd give it another go, with a little heftier security and CASSOA storage. 3 months in now, and we still have the caravan, so that's progress.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Welcome!

Agree with both your points. We had a 2013 Bailey Ancona stolen from our storage without trace (again, all locks in place and defeated). And again, CAMC insurance were great.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I thought I'd better introduce myself, though I have been in the room a week or two already..

I enjoyed a considerable amount of caravanning from the 1970's through 1990's, including commandeering my parents car and caravan for a week or two every so often. As a 17 year old! They were very trusting, and I always had a lot of confidence in my abilities. And times were a bit different. Actually, one of my very earliest memories was being at the docks at Hull and watching while my dad's car and caravan were lifted by crane onto a ship bound for Norway. Since then have camped with a tent or trailer tent somewhere most years, but decided to jump in and bought a caravan last year. Straight from the off, took it touring around Eire, and very much enjoyed that.

A couple of things I've learnt:
1. Caravans are very nickable. Bought brand new July 2023. 3 weeks holiday in Ireland and returned to non-CASSOA storage. Stolen and vanished without trace August 2023. Even though it was alarmed, wheel locked and hitch locked.
2. CAMC insurance cover is exemplary

We thought quite hard about whether to abandon the caravan ownership idea after that, but decided we'd give it another go, with a little heftier security and CASSOA storage. 3 months in now, and we still have the caravan, so that's progress.
Worth hiding airtag or its equivalent in van. On outside wall as radio coverage is better. May help with recovery if stolen.

May 30, 2024
Visit site
Worth hiding airtag or its equivalent in van. On outside wall as radio coverage is better. May help with recovery if stolen.
That's what encouraged one of my other posts - https://forums.practicalcaravan.com...should-i-go-for-the-sargent.67532/post-602690

I'm liking this Salind tracker and app even more than when I first installed it. In the end, I found a great place to hide it (I think!) and I like being able to check-in on my phone and see that all's well. What does annoy me a bit is that it's made me compelled to be very security conscious with the caravan, and I don't like that being my first thought every time we stop somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts