A couple of useful smartphone apps

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if any of you folks use these apps but i found them quite useful on our trip away at the weekend.

The first was Stay Level , as the name suggests this app lets you use your and your partners smartphones to aid in leveling the caravan. it works surprisingly well allowing you to set the leveling phone in the van and use the other out side while making adjustments.. Not sure if its cross compatible as we both have iphones.

The other was Antenna Aligner which as the title suggests lets you find the strongest signal to tune your aerial using the gps location on your phone. it then uses a compass bearing and horizontal or vertical alignment to get the best signal.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kerbdog, I still like the old spirit level, but insted of shouting at each other, we have a set of walky talkies. Your second one I like the sound of. I Also use UK campsites app. And a doggie freindly pub app.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but we'll stick to the spirit level too. When set up IF we bother with the TV I just look to see which way everyones got their arial and do the same. Usually works unless we're the only ones on site of course.

After Hutch demonstrated the power of Google Maps to us we've been using that a lot.

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I also carry a mark one spirit level for those times that technology lets us down but i was quite impressed with the leveling app especially when using a motor mover to get port star board level right. It didn't require much running back and forward to see what the current level was. that said i was pretty lucky in the fact that my site was fairly level side to side.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Martin, had to edit because, I spelt Aerial wrong, had to admit it. :dry:

It was late and I must have missed the auto correct on the Mac. I think I joined in on the corrections last time so even more :blush:

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
kerbdog said:
I also carry a mark one spirit level for those times that technology lets us down but i was quite impressed with the leveling app especially when using a motor mover to get port star board level right. It didn't require much running back and forward to see what the current level was. that said i was pretty lucky in the fact that my site was fairly level side to side.

Isn't that an application for an ammeter? :p :p

--
The iPhone, no doubt other phones are available, has sticky outty buttons which are exaggerated with a protective case, so you may not be level :p

We have a round level bubble thing in the front window ledge that works pretty well, if you remember to lift the blind before raising the steadies as you leave for site.

To the OP will check out the Antenna App, thanks. Every day is a skool day :p :p

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I use Google maps for navigation and street view to look at new destinations. Not sure how useful I would find the two apps as I have only done one trip in the van so far.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
kerbdog said:
this app lets you use your and your partners smartphones to aid in leveling the caravan. it works surprisingly well allowing you to set the leveling phone in the van and use the other out side while making adjustments..
I don't understand. What is the second phone for?

May 14, 2017
Visit site
DrZhivago said:
kerbdog said:
this app lets you use your and your partners smartphones to aid in leveling the caravan. it works surprisingly well allowing you to set the leveling phone in the van and use the other out side while making adjustments..
I don't understand. What is the second phone for?
Basically both phones have the app installed, you open the apps on the phone you'll have a screen that prompts you either be the display or the sensor. the phone that is the display stays outside in the car or wherever, and the sensor phone is left in your favorite level spot in the van. This is particularly handy if you are using the car to level side to side using a ramp. heres video..i should point out i have absolutely no affiliation or connection to this app provider! B)

[video]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA8xYo1NTW0[/video]

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It doesnt matter about the level of the van, we know when we pitch up using the oldmspirit level, that the sink and shower will drain. And its not when then Caravan is level.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Jaysted said:
Just a little question how do you level the caravan, use the " LEGS" or those ramp things?

Legs - NO, NO, NO. :evil: They are only stabilizers.

Side to side level - lift up the lower wheel with ramps, leveller, etc

Front to back level - use the jockey wheel.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ramps left or right. Then the jockey wheel fore and. aft. Front and back. Then when your happy wind down the steadys until just enough to keep the carvan from "Rocking", and if the ground is damp check the steadys again the nexxt day

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
There is already a level app on an iPhone, just swipe the compass to one side and you will see the level. Don't know why it's hidden.

There is but its not the easiest to use. App 'Tilt Meter' is far better

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
We have 'pitch perfect' fitted to the van for levelling and a spirit level back up.
Just about to try the aeriel app ....... hopefully it'll work!!

TRENDING THREADS