A few questions

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hellos all,

Off to France on Sunday-driven there before but not with caravan.

1-Do i remove extension mirrors whilst on ferry?

2-Any problems boarding with a blade type stabiliser.

3-Any petrol stations near the port in Portsmouth or Ouistrem (Caen) as I'd like to start the journey with a fullish tank.

Regards

Steve

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I remove extension mirrors while on ferry rather then risk some passing passenger bumping into them. Ferry staff themselves are able to spot and avoid them. Better safe than sorry. I mark the position of the extension arm where it fits into the clamp on the car mirror using a fine tipped paint pen, gold in this case - it shows up well on the black and was the only colour I could 'borrow' from my daughter - which makes it easy to replace without the trouble of re-aligning them before you leave the ferry.

G

1. No, not normally.

2. Again, should not be a problem. Just beware if the ramp has any ridges or rapid change in slope where you may ground.

Just follow the directions of the crew and do not be surprised if you are last on. When on board apply the caravan handbrake and isolate your car alarm. Do not start your engine too soon on disembarking, just keep an eye on the front of your line for movement.

3. Have not been to Portsmouth so cannot answer that one. However, fuel stations are available all over France, except in remoter areas and the best buys are to be had at supermarkets. Just don't go there with the van as they often have height barriers. With prices as they are at the moment assuming you are on diesel, the UK and France are comparable. If unleaded, fill up here.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
In Portsmouth, the filling station closest to the ferry is in Mile End Road and is one of the cheapest in the area (normally) To approach it, continue on the M275 passed the signed exit for the ferry. Continue over the flyover to the next roundabout and turn back on yourself. The Shell Station will be on your leff. Leave the forecourt after filling, keep left and take the first left into the port. This is a very short detor and on a busy morning may save you time queuing at the first signed exit.

Regards

Phil

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
In Portsmouth, the filling station closest to the ferry is in Mile End Road and is one of the cheapest in the area (normally) To approach it, continue on the M275 passed the signed exit for the ferry. Continue over the flyover to the next roundabout and turn back on yourself. The Shell Station will be on your leff. Leave the forecourt after filling, keep left and take the first left into the port. This is a very short detor and on a busy morning may save you time queuing at the first signed exit.

Regards

Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts