A query regarding Tyre Widths

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello.
i need to renew three tyres on an Avondale Dart 380-2 Millenium Edition.
(All dated 2009)

The handbook States the tyre sizes to be 185/70 R13. Load index. 86.

However the tyres fitted to the van are all made by Infinity.
Marked up: LM C9. 94/92. 8PR. Load Range D. 165. R13

So I take that to be a width of 165 rather than the book spec of 185.

All three wheel are the same, the fitted ones very grubby but the spare still as new. So I'm guessing they are the originals.

So my question really is:- can wheel rims safely accomadate tyres of different widths.
I've found prices for both sizes on the Internet with the 165 being the more prolific in choice.
I don't mind which I get as long as they are right.

Just as a throw away comment. This caravan has the spare wheel in a fibre glass well situated within the caravan floor and carpeted to blend in with the general decor of the van. What a brilliant idea. Why Ever don't manufacturers use this system in modern caravans.

Regards to all Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reply Sir Sproket.
I think I'm going to look for a set that matches the handbooks original specification. I'm just surprised that different width tyres can be used on the same wheel.
The spare I have is brand new never been fitted but obviously due to the date I'm going to change it as well

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Brian,
as a general rule you can use different tyre widths to about 10% so the difference between the two as Sprocket said is 20mm or 3/4in so either will be fine, so would 175's
couple of things to check though, see how much gap there is between the outer edge of the tyre and the wheel arch inside, the PO may have reduced the tyre width if the 185's were a little tight, [harder to fit wheel clamp ect] and check the load index of the tyres against the axle load. being a millenium edition ie 2000 the tyres would probably have been changed around 2004/5 so 2009 expiry date sounds about right.
also from your first post it seems the tyre profile is different LM C9. 94/92. 8PR. Load Range D. 165. R13 are commercial van tyres, and as cheap as chips, however 185/70 R13's are low profile being 30% less than the 165's standard profile so a lot dearer. may be he also wanted to raise the vans stance a little at the same time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brian,
Rather than simply discarding your spare, if it has been kept out of the direct sunlight, then even though it might be aged, it may still be serviceable. Ask your tyre depot for their opinion. It might still be good as a spare.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Brian..........are you sure your handbook quotes the tyre specification that you state in your first post?

I would expect a handbook of that era to state a tyre size of 165R x 13 for your caravan?
........or even 175R x 13?

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Brian..........are you sure your handbook quotes the tyre specification that you state in your first post?

I would expect a handbook of that era to state a tyre size of 165R x 13 for your caravan?
........or even 175R x 13?

Thanks for your reply Gafferbill

This is how the books shows it:- 185/70 R13 86
It then goes on to quote the tyre pressure to be 36

The caravan is a. 380-2

The next van on the list is a. 475-4
And it's tyre size is shown:- 165 R13 91
Tyre pressure 48

Cheers for now Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
G
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Brian,
Rather than simply discarding your spare, if it has been kept out of the direct sunlight, then even though it might be aged, it may still be serviceable. Ask your tyre depot for their opinion. It might still be good as a spare.

Thank you Prof John for your comment.
The spare looks to me as good as the day it left the factory. The rim has never been on the van.

I commented in my original post that the spare is in a purpose made GRP well built into the floor of the caravan. It's the first time I've come across this and think the idea is brilliant. The spare tyre is at least 6 years old and looks like new.
Had it been under the van on the modern type rack for that long I don't think it would have looked so good.
I will take your advice regarding retaining the wheel purely as a "Get you Home Spare". Obviously depending I suppose on which tyres I get as replacements.
Colin has confirmed that it's not uncommon to use various width tyres in the same rim but recognises something from the description I have posted for the current tyres regarding the profile being higher than the original spec.
thank you for your post
Regards Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi Brian,
as a general rule you can use different tyre widths to about 10% so the difference between the two as Sprocket said is 20mm or 3/4in so either will be fine, so would 175's
couple of things to check though, see how much gap there is between the outer edge of the tyre and the wheel arch inside, the PO may have reduced the tyre width if the 185's were a little tight, [harder to fit wheel clamp ect] and check the load index of the tyres against the axle load. being a millenium edition ie 2000 the tyres would probably have been changed around 2004/5 so 2009 expiry date sounds about right.
also from your first post it seems the tyre profile is different LM C9. 94/92. 8PR. Load Range D. 165. R13 are commercial van tyres, and as cheap as chips, however 185/70 R13's are low profile being 30% less than the 165's standard profile so a lot dearer. may be he also wanted to raise the vans stance a little at the same time.

Thank you for your reply Colin.
The original owner kept the van at home where I collected it from and the area was perfectly flat no curbs cambers etc. From what you say I suspect that he bought the tyres more on price rather than wanting to increase the stance of the van.
Your comments regarding the widths along with everyone's contributions have given me more scope to source replacements.
The tyres that are fitted were manufactured in 2009 so being 6 years old they will probably still be ok for a further year dependant on condition. I have had a really good look at them and can find no evidence of damage or cracking even between the tread pattern in fact there is no real evidence of much wear at all. However not knowing their history I'm going to change them anyway.

Our caravaning has taken a bit of a back seat over the past couple of years so we decided to sell up. Our thinking was mainly that our caravan although of modest value in the modern caravan world, was just too much money to be stood for the occasional weekend away or for me to venture out alone for a few days fishing.
So our final decision (well my wife's idea and decision) was to sell the Bailey and replace it with something cheap and cheerful in comparison. Still giving us the option of getting away. Without the thoughts of a big chunk of money sat outside doing very little. And after much looking this little Avondale Dart really fits the bill. New tyres and a good service Should see us ok for a while. I've searched every inch for the dreaded damp but not found any evidence.

Thank you for your post
Best regards Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts