A question for Val A

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Val,I believe you know the South of France quite well,can you recommend which area and sites would be good to enjoy the area without the traffic and main tourist areas(as we have to go in August!)

Catherine

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Catherine - we usually go in late August (as well as May/June) which are both low season in France. If you have a choice of weeks, then choose the last two weeks in August, rather than the first two. It's really difficult for me to say which areas if you're going in early August, because some places are like chalk and cheese - really busy until mid-August, and then suddenly all the French go home and it's really quiet. Other people have said the Auvergne is quiet all season, and I don't think the Tarn Gorges or higher inland in Provence areas are so bad - but once you get down to the strip all around the Mediterranean then I think you'll find anywhere will be really busy until about the third or last week in August.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Val,

yes we will be going the last 2 weeks in August we are thinking of going to the Perpignan area,have you been there? Maybe a site called Ma Prarie. We thought we might stop of in the Dordogne for a few days first, When we go to Italy we normally have 2 overnight stops do you think we should do the same for the Mediterranean.

Catherine

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Yes, Argeles sur Mer - Le Roseraie because my son was working down there at La Bois de Valmarie which doesn't take tourers, wouldn't particularly recommend the site, but it suited our purposes - and also Le Haras at Palau del Vidre (I think run by the same family as Ma Prairie - haven't been there!) Liked Le Haras very much - well run, lovely family site, with nice pool area and loads of lovely flowers. Inland, so a bit 'away from the madding crowd'. This area can get very busy - but should be easing off a bit in late August. It's lovely - near enough to visit Spain, and Andorra if you wish, and there are some lovaly places on the coast. Do find time to visit Collioure - though plan to get there early as parking is at a premium. Lovely views from Le Haras, of the mountains (snow topped when we were there!). Gorges just inland from Argeles, with hot spring for swimming.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to say, yes I would take two days - and go via the A75 Clermont Ferrand route, rather than down the Rhone Valley - quieter, less tolls, and more scenic. Take a trip across the Millau viaduct too, and if you do stay overnight the Tarn/Jonte area is worth a stopover - and then not too far for the last day's journey! Nice sites in/around Millau for an overnight stop.

Apr 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Catherine, Have used Ma Paraie. It is very tight if you have a large outfit and usually the Dutch have taken the best pitches!! The toilets and showers are very clean but uni-sex. The beach is about 1.5 miles away. The statics are busy until about Sept.14th.

Regards David (from Kent)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine, Have used Ma Paraie. It is very tight if you have a large outfit and usually the Dutch have taken the best pitches!! The toilets and showers are very clean but uni-sex. The beach is about 1.5 miles away. The statics are busy until about Sept.14th.

Regards David (from Kent)
Thanks for both your replies,we have managed to book Camping Le Brasilia for one week,which looks like it is right on the beach,busy but we can walk to the beach! We have not managed to book 2 weeks there so might do a week in the Dordogne first.We are looking at two routes at the moment, either through Limoges,or as you suggested Clarmont-Ferrand,they look about the same distance.We

have details of a nice site in the Gorges du Tarn,from the caravan show,called Les Peupliers so that might be worth looking into.

Catherine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts