A revelation!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Previously when towing the vehicle was always in Drive and in Eco mode. Recently as a result of hint on another forum I decided to use the Sport mode and paddle system so vehicle was driven manually. Fuel consumption improved quite a bit by almost 2mpg for exactly the same journey. I was getting just under 24mpg which i think is good for a 3.0l lump while towing.

Apparently using the Sport mode the vehicle is not constantly changing gear, it lowers the vehicle to aero mode and with paddle system you are able to change gears quicker and also move into 8th gear quicker. The 8th gear is a cruising gear and will not activate under 50mph.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Subaru Foresters both recommended sports mode whilst towing but I didn’t use the paddles , and I tended to use it on my XC70 and Superb when off motorways.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I find towing in normal D with maximum use of the cruise control gives best all round performance and economy . Using S mode the engine reaches higher rpm before the next upward change. There are occasions when it remains in 7. I can paddle to 8. RPM drops, speed is maintained but I suspect more fuel is being burnt as the engine is “labouring” in the higher gear.
Clearly all vehicles are different and I doubt there is one rule for all.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some engines are better than others with dealing the additional demands of towing. for that reason I totally endorse Dusty's last comment,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As said I would only use the mode when on motorway. Tendency is to use paddles to take it into 8th gear and then switch to Drive. Problem on A roads is that using the paddles you forget that you are in manual mode and not auto. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts